Looking for a Title and Author
Woods Wizard
Posted 2016-01-05 1:45 PM (#12295)
Subject: Looking for a Title and Author

New User

A book I read a long time ago. Pre1970 most likely. Basics that I remember:

The main character is a Yeti-like being, a shaman of his tribe. His tribe is wiped out; he is the last. He, like other shamans, keeps the stories of his tribe on a knotted cord. At the end of the book, he finds a different species also nearly wiped out which he adopts to teach them the legends and stories of his people. The main character lives in a polar region.

Anybody know a book like that?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Simulacrum
Posted 2016-01-17 11:54 PM (#12418 - in reply to #12295)
Subject: RE: Looking for a Title and Author

New User

Sounds familiar and, from my patchy memory, vaguely reminiscent of Robert Silverberg's At Winter's End?
Woods Wizard
Posted 2016-01-18 1:22 PM (#12421 - in reply to #12295)
Subject: Re: Looking for a Title and Author

New User

It might be but doesn't sound quite right. I might buy it on Kindle just to check it out. That's for responding!
Simulacrum
Posted 2016-01-18 4:18 PM (#12422 - in reply to #12421)

New User

No worries. On the surface descriptions may look a bit different but I seem to recall similar elements of it being based around a tribe of ape-like creatures in a frozen world, a protagonist that is the tribe's chronicler with most of said tribe being wiped out at one point and his going on to live/primarily interact with another species.

Either way hopefully you won't be disappointed as it (and the sequel) are good reads and some of the better late-period Silverberg.
Woods Wizard
Posted 2016-01-18 6:05 PM (#12423 - in reply to #12422)

New User

Simulacrum - 2016-01-18 4:18 PM

No worries. On the surface descriptions may look a bit different but I seem to recall similar elements of it being based around a tribe of ape-like creatures in a frozen world, a protagonist that is the tribe's chronicler with most of said tribe being wiped out at one point and his going on to live/primarily interact with another species.

Either way hopefully you won't be disappointed as it (and the sequel) are good reads and some of the better late-period Silverberg.

Thanks for your help! I do have Star of Gypsies

Edited by Woods Wizard 2016-01-18 6:14 PM
illegible_scribble
Posted 2016-01-28 8:52 PM (#12516 - in reply to #12295)
Subject: RE: Looking for a Title and Author

Uber User

Woods Wizard - 2016-01-06 6:45 AM
A book I read a long time ago. Pre1970 most likely. Basics that I remember: The main character is a Yeti-like being, a shaman of his tribe. His tribe is wiped out; he is the last. He, like other shamans, keeps the stories of his tribe on a knotted cord. At the end of the book, he finds a different species also nearly wiped out which he adopts to teach them the legends and stories of his people. The main character lives in a polar region. Anybody know a book like that?

It looks as though your question was posted over on another SF forum and someone there came up with an answer

sounds like Frostworld and Dreamfire by John Morressy

synopsis of Frostworld and Dreamfire by John Morressy