2014 Masterworks Reading Challenge
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-01-08 6:43 AM (#5937)
Subject: 2014 Masterworks Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Hello all

Welcome to the 2014 Masterworks Challenge thread.  I created this challenge because I have been looking at these lists for a while and kept telling myself I will get to these important classics.  Well, now I have "publically" committed myself to read at least 12 by starting this challenge.  
For those who have joined me, thank you, now we can take this journey together.

The requirements are simple  -  read 12 books from the the combined Masterworks lists (SF Masterworks, SF Mistressworks, and Fantasy Masterworks).  Only two small stipulations:

- You must read at least two books from each of the 3 lists, and

- Write 6 reviews of the books read (and to be candid, is the real challenge for me

Please use this thread to discuss all things Masterworks, and some thoughts on your reading.

Good Luck to all, and enjoy the journey.

Michael. (aka ILikeMaps

Edited by ILikeMaps 2014-01-08 6:49 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-08 7:29 AM (#5942 - in reply to #5937)
Subject: RE: 2014 Masterworks Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Admin

Great challenge, Michael, and a very nice challenge logo too!  I'm really tempted to get in on this one but I'm on 2 already.  Still.....
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-08 9:33 AM (#5949 - in reply to #5937)
Subject: Re: 2014 Masterworks Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Mmm. My main challenge is WoGF2 but since that gives me 6 books on the Mistressworks list and since I have 12 on my TBR that are on the Masterworks list (but only 1 on the Fantasy Masterworks) I could well cover both.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-01-08 11:06 AM (#5952 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Yes, I'm wondering if I could get this one as a freebie, too.
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-01-08 12:36 PM (#5954 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Thanks Dave for your kind comments.  I had fun putting together the logo.

Three challenges? my that would be ambitious. But as others have said, you might be able to manipulate the books where you can almost make this one a "freebie."

I am still tempted to develop a second RYO Challenge. A one book read called "Game WWEnd". The book would be Robots and Empire by Isaac Asimov, which sits near the bottom (#262 with 100 reads) of the WWEnd Most Read Books of All-Time list. The purpose would be to see how far we could raise it up the list in 2014.

Oh, one more thing, would it be possible to add the link to this thread under the description.

Thanks again for the wonderful site

Michael

Edited by ILikeMaps 2014-01-08 12:38 PM
daxxh
Posted 2014-01-08 12:48 PM (#5957 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I am also wondering if I could squeeze this one in, since a lot of the books I want to read for the WoGF Challenge are on the Mistressworks list. My problem is that I read a lot of other stuff and I have a decent hold list at the library that don't qualify for any of the challenges.

I may add this one later after I see how fast I am reading.
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-01-08 7:28 PM (#5964 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Just checked - after one day,  there are now 9 participants signed up for the 2014 Masterworks Reading Challenge -- I'm blown away.  

But even more amazing is that gondagt was the first to finish a book, Tau Zero by Poul Anderson from the SF Masterworks list -

congrats to Geza Gonda (aka gondagt).

I just began my first book in the challenge - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by PKD. I'm looking forward to some of that noir, dystopian, Blade Runner atmosphere.

Michael 

Edited by ILikeMaps 2014-01-08 7:38 PM
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-08 11:34 PM (#5967 - in reply to #5949)
Quote Reply

Admin

justifiedsinner - 2014-01-08 9:33 AM Mmm. My main challenge is WoGF2 but since that gives me 6 books on the Mistressworks list and since I have 12 on my TBR that are on the Masterworks list (but only 1 on the Fantasy Masterworks) I could well cover both.

Trying to find the books that cover many different challenges is an addictive game!  The winner is the person who can read the fewest books whilst still finishing the most challenges.

Administrator
Posted 2014-01-08 11:47 PM (#5968 - in reply to #5954)
Quote Reply

Admin

ILikeMaps - 2014-01-08 12:36 PM  I am still tempted to develop a second RYO Challenge. A one book read called "Game WWEnd". The book would be Robots and Empire by Isaac Asimov, which sits near the bottom (#262 with 100 reads) of the WWEnd Most Read Books of All-Time list. The purpose would be to see how far we could raise it up the list in 2014.

Oh, one more thing, would it be possible to add the link to this thread under the description.

Thanks again for the wonderful site

Michael

I LOVE this idea!  You can actually make a 1 book challenge though if that caught on we could be flooded with singles.  Not sure anyone would want to wade through a bunch of those trying to find a "real" challenge.  You could do a 12 month challenge and every month call out a different title from the list for everyone to read.  Do a follow the leader/book group style challenge where everyone reads the same titles at the same time.  It would be fun to see a couple titles rise up the ranking!

For the forum thread you can cope the URL and paste it into the edit screen for the challenge.  I can't access the DB at the moment so I can't do it right now.

So glad you're enjoying the site and we love to see all the buzz here in the forums for the various challenges.  With 10 challenges in the first 2 days we may end up with quite a few as the year goes on.  Interesting that we haven't seen any mini-challenges yet.  3 month runs or short 6 book challenges.  Or for that matter there have been no challenges over 12 books yet either.  Plenty of time for those still!

Deven Science
Posted 2014-01-09 12:52 AM (#5969 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I'm considering joining in on this challenge, but I have a couple of problems. One, I don't read with the kind of speed that could complete 12 books in a year anymore, and even if I could, I usually alternate my reading between fiction and non-fiction, to force myself to read more of the "non" variety. Two, I'm very interested in the SF Masterworks list, but I would be hard pressed to find two off of the Mistress and Fantasy lists. I'm not sure why, but few female writers have ever grabbed me, and magic/sword and sandal/castles do nothing for me.

Still, even knowing I won't finish, it might be fun to see how close I could come, and it might help challenge me to find some female authors and fantasy novels that I can enjoy.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-01-09 5:13 AM (#5970 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Twelve's quite a good number for me, because it's doable without being too much of a burden, especially if I get some crossover between challenges. If I'm going to sign up for many more they'll need to be shorter, though.

Anyway, I need a ruling.

Two of my Masterworks are actually omnibuses: Helliconia and Riddle-Master's Game (which is incorrectly listed as just the first volume, Riddle-Master of Hed, in the database, unless they did a single-volume version too). Does reading one book from the omnibus count, or do I have to read the whole lot? I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen in a single year with Helliconia, at least.
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-01-09 7:02 AM (#5971 - in reply to #5968)
Quote Reply

Administrator - 2014-01-08 12:47 AM  - I LOVE this idea!  You can actually make a 1 book challenge though if that caught on we could be flooded with singles.  Not sure anyone would want to wade through a bunch of those trying to find a "real" challenge.  You could do a 12 month challenge and every month call out a different title from the list for everyone to read.  Do a follow the leader/book group style challenge where everyone reads the same titles at the same time.  It would be fun to see a couple titles rise up the ranking!

Will think about how to make it work, I might make it a 3 month challenge, with the goal of seeing how high we can raise a bottom level book up the rankings.  If it catches on, could do four of them through the year. 

Thanks for the support

Michael

ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-01-09 7:26 AM (#5972 - in reply to #5969)
Quote Reply

Deven Science - 2014-01-08 1:52 AM I'm considering joining in on this challenge, but I have a couple of problems. One, I don't read with the kind of speed that could complete 12 books in a year anymore, and even if I could, I usually alternate my reading between fiction and non-fiction, to force myself to read more of the "non" variety. Two, I'm very interested in the SF Masterworks list, but I would be hard pressed to find two off of the Mistress and Fantasy lists. I'm not sure why, but few female writers have ever grabbed me, and magic/sword and sandal/castles do nothing for me. Still, even knowing I won't finish, it might be fun to see how close I could come, and it might help challenge me to find some female authors and fantasy novels that I can enjoy.

Deven

Fully understand, I am a fairly slow reader as well, and also read other things (although I am not very rigid about rotating any type of reading), That is why I don't want to commit to more than 12 books for the year. 

Regarding finding two on each list, there are some interesting books on the Fantasy list which are not the Sword and Sorcery types, you might consider:

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers - more of a steampunk, time travel Book.
Something Wicked This Way Comes? by Ray Bradbury - more of a modern fantasy or even horror of novel (a classic)
Replay by Ken by Grimwood - another time travel novel

While probably not for this challenge as it is really 5 (smallish) books I would also highly recommend:
The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny - one of my favorate book series of all time, although it is listed as Sword and Sorcery, I wouldn't classify it that way in any shape or fom.  The first book hooks you at the very beginning and doesn't let go.

Hope you can join us.

Michael

ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-01-09 7:57 AM (#5973 - in reply to #5970)
Quote Reply

DrNefario - 2014-01-08 6:13 AM Twelve's quite a good number for me, because it's doable without being too much of a burden, especially if I get some crossover between challenges. If I'm going to sign up for many more they'll need to be shorter, though. Anyway, I need a ruling. Two of my Masterworks are actually omnibuses: Helliconia and Riddle-Master's Game (which is incorrectly listed as just the first volume, Riddle-Master of Hed, in the database, unless they did a single-volume version too). Does reading one book from the omnibus count, or do I have to read the whole lot? I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen in a single year with Helliconia, at least.

DrNefario

Whew, Helliconia would be quite a challenge, but good luck.

Regarding counting books, in reality this challenge is for you, so if you read the first book in the series and want to count it, that is fine by me, but you will probably need to click off the entire omnibus as included in the SF Masterworks as "Read"  to have it count. 

I have one such multibook series on my list as well, The Book of the New Sun, Volume 1: Shadow and Claw by Gene Wolfe, which is really two books.  I will do my best to get through them

Glad to have you aboard.

Michael

Administrator
Posted 2014-01-09 8:11 AM (#5974 - in reply to #5970)
Quote Reply

Admin

DrNefario - 2014-01-09 5:13 AM  Anyway, I need a ruling. Two of my Masterworks are actually omnibuses: Helliconia and Riddle-Master's Game (which is incorrectly listed as just the first volume, Riddle-Master of Hed, in the database, unless they did a single-volume version too). Does reading one book from the omnibus count, or do I have to read the whole lot? I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen in a single year with Helliconia, at least.

So I looked into the The Riddle-Master of Hed business and you're right.  We should have The Riddle-Master's Game as a separate listing and tag that for the FM series.  Strange that there is a FM cover with just the first title when there never was such a book. The internet has screwed me again.  I'll try to correct that at lunch.

In which case if you want to read The Riddle-Master's Game (or Helliconia) for the Masterworks Challenge you'll need to read the entire omnibus since that is the version on the Masterworks list.

Thanks for the heads up about RMH.

daxxh
Posted 2014-01-09 12:18 PM (#5977 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Don't know if this will help, but I have a copy of the first three Riddle Master of Hed books in one volume called Riddle of Stars. I got it from the Science Fiction Book club way back when I was in high school.

Edited by daxxh 2014-01-09 12:20 PM
Deven Science
Posted 2014-01-09 12:26 PM (#5978 - in reply to #5970)
Quote Reply

Uber User

One of the books I'm thinking of reading for this challenge is also multiple books. It's a tough call, but if I read the first book, I might feel okay about checking it as read, at least for the challenge. The challenge is 12 books, and you will have read one, so along with eleven others, no one could say you were cheating.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-01-09 2:18 PM (#5983 - in reply to #5974)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Administrator - 2014-01-09 2:11 PM

So I looked into the The Riddle-Master of Hed business and you're right. We should have The Riddle-Master's Game as a separate listing and tag that for the FM series. Strange that there is a FM cover with just the first title when there never was such a book. The internet has screwed me again. I'll try to correct that at lunch.

I was sure the issue with the Masterwork was mentioned in the WoGF forum where I picked up the recommendation, otherwise I'd have reported it somewhere more sensible, but now I can't find it. Ah well.

Edited by DrNefario 2014-01-09 2:20 PM
francesashton
Posted 2014-01-11 12:49 PM (#6014 - in reply to #5969)
Quote Reply

Regular

Deven Science,

You were saying you might have trouble with the Mistressworks so can I recommend The Disposessed, Memoirs of a Spacewoman or The Female Man as being more on the SF side than the fantasy side. They're also pretty short which might help you out.
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-01-11 2:24 PM (#6016 - in reply to #6014)
Quote Reply

francesashton - 2014-01-10 1:49 PM Deven Science, You were saying you might have trouble with the Mistressworks so can I recommend The Disposessed, Memoirs of a Spacewoman or The Female Man as being more on the SF side than the fantasy side. They're also pretty short which might help you out.

Another option to consider would be  In Conquest Born  by C.S. Friedman.  It is a Space Opera and Military Fiction novel. 

Michael 

DrNefario
Posted 2014-01-12 11:09 AM (#6035 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Well, I've thrown caution to the the wind, and signed up for all of the challenges I thought looked interesting, and I'll just have to see how far I get. (I note there doesn't seem to be a way of backing out of a challenge.)

My main concern with all of the challenges is that they don't involve me buying too many books. My real and virtual heaps of unread books are enough to populate most of the challenges, but don't give me a lot of choice for the Mistressworks and Fantasy Masterworks.
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-01-12 4:50 PM (#6041 - in reply to #6035)
Quote Reply

DrNefario - 2014-01-11 12:09 PM Well, I've thrown caution to the the wind, and signed up for all of the challenges I thought looked interesting, and I'll just have to see how far I get. (I note there doesn't seem to be a way of backing out of a challenge.) My main concern with all of the challenges is that they don't involve me buying too many books. My real and virtual heaps of unread books are enough to populate most of the challenges, but don't give me a lot of choice for the Mistressworks and Fantasy Masterworks.

DrNefario

WELCOME to the Masterworks Challenge. 

I also signed up for a second challenge (12 awards in 12 months), but I carefully looked to make sure that most of the readings worked for both challenges.  Only a couple of extra books too read.

Don't know about you, I took a trip to the 2nd hand bookshop yesterday, and found three of books for the challenge for only $2 US each. 

Heck for you, One trip to  Hay-on-Wye and you could probably find them ALL.

Good Luck

Michael 

Edited by ILikeMaps 2014-01-12 4:54 PM
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-01-14 12:04 PM (#6070 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I have finished my first book in the Challenge.  Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by PK Dick. (even wrote a Review).

This is a classic I have been meaning to read for quite a while, and now that I have read the book, I understand the title much more. It seems that an electronic sheep plays an important role in the book. (go figure).

As I read through each of these books, I will be asking myself: Do I believe it should be on the SF Masterworks List? For this book, the answer would be ABSOLUTELY. Essentially it is book that wrestles with the question "What does it mean to he human", it seems to hold up very well with age, and it contributes significantly to the "robot / android" genre of Science Fiction.  (plus I really like the noir, detective novel style of writing).

Thoughts from others who have read the book?

OK, on to my next book:  From SF to Fantasy (sort of) as I begin reading The Book of the New Sun, Volume 1: Shadow and Claw.  The first book (really first two books) of Gene Wolfe’s New Sun Series. 

Michael

Deven Science
Posted 2014-01-14 12:38 PM (#6071 - in reply to #6070)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I read DADoES? quite some years ago, and I mostly just remember it being a bit of a confusing mess. It had some great ideas, and great imagery, but even as I'm now reading Through a Scanner, Darkly for this challenge, I'm finding that my own opinion is that PKD is a bit overrated. I haven't read a lot of him, admittedly, but what I have doesn't make sense. That may mean he is deep, but it also might mean he's indecipherable.
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-01-14 9:14 PM (#6083 - in reply to #6071)
Quote Reply

Deven Science - 2014-01-13 1:38 PM I read DADoES? quite some years ago, and I mostly just remember it being a bit of a confusing mess. It had some great ideas, and great imagery, but even as I'm now reading Through a Scanner, Darkly for this challenge, I'm finding that my own opinion is that PKD is a bit overrated. I haven't read a lot of him, admittedly, but what I have doesn't make sense. That may mean he is deep, but it also might mean he's indecipherable.

I understand completely, everybody loved the Demolished Man, but frankly I was less than impressed, just couldn't get past Bester's writing style. I enjoyed DADoES because it reminded me of the hard boiled detective novel of the 40s and 50s, although I wouldn't describe Deckard as hard boiled. Although I enjoy some of the more "literate" stuff,  I think the novels I enjoy most are rip roaring space ( or fantasy) adventures, and space operas.  Just a shallow reader at heart I guess. 

Deven Science
Posted 2014-01-22 9:01 PM (#6210 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

A couple of people have already completed two books! Congrats. I remember when I used to read that fast. That was before the dissemination of the internet, which takes up more of my time each day than I'd like to admit. That was also when I was single. I would sit in my living room reading all night before I was married!

Enough reminiscing. I'm working on two now, and hoping to be on track for one a month.
dustydigger
Posted 2014-01-23 4:22 AM (#6212 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

I'm with you ,Michael,on not really enjoying the literary SF all that much.I dont WANT the style to be so obtrusive,waiing to be admired as it were.It just gets in the way of the''shoot-em-ups in space.Some of the old writers were very pedestrian in their style,,you couldnt say that Clarke or Asimov dazzled you with their fine wordsBut they sure enough were brimful of ideas and action.I ploughed through China Mieville's Embassytown recently and greeted the end with ''And? So?'' Had ten times as much pleasure reading David Brin's Startide Rising!
As for Androids,I saw the film first anyway,which I usually avoid if possible,since they usually diverge so much, and naturally found the book a bit of a letdowwn.
@ Deven Science - I used to read a lot more too.Then the eyes started to go with old age,and I couldnt read in poor light or for long periods.Then my son moved home,my daughter moved to a house less than 50 yards away,and I now have a influx of visitors every day,so the reading is down by at least two hours a day.The computer was areal competitor to reading,but that has lessened a bit - simply because I have to wrestle the laptop off my son if I want to use it.He even takes it to bed with him!.
I can really see the advantages of hermits shutting themselves off from the world.Would be nice,if only I could have unlimited books and the internet.Perhaps I would then get round to reading the SF Masterworks.I've only read 40 of the 132. Shame on me......but I do prefer rip roaring adventure!

Edited by dustydigger 2014-01-23 4:36 AM
Deven Science
Posted 2014-02-16 12:32 PM (#6478 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

With the motivation of this challenge, I've already completed three books in the challenge (and one not in the challenge, as I'm still trying to squeeze in some non-fiction). Thanks for the push, my friends!

There are a couple of others that have three completed, and one member has four! Good job. A few people either haven't finished one yet, or simply haven't marked any as read. I encourage you to do both. This post is my attempt to make this more interactive.

Also, as I've stated elsewhere on this site, I would like to encourage everyone to mention your star ratings in your review that you're writing. I read a review of The Sirens of Titan, since that is the one I'm reading now, and I still have no idea if he liked the book or not.
francesashton
Posted 2014-02-17 1:11 PM (#6492 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Regular

I'm finding that the challenges are forcing me to put what is basically on my "to be read" pile in a more structured order. I'd already had my three masterworks books on the shelf to read and always picked up something else first. Now I read them first and when you've got a pile of books that's as big as mine, anything that orders them for you is a Good Thing!
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-02-17 8:22 PM (#6493 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

After about a month and a half into the Roll Your Own reading challenge, things seem to be going quite well for the Masterworks Reading Challenge.  We have 46 subscribers who have read a total of 50 books, with about 40% of them have new reviews.  Also, the forum seems fairly active.  So All is Well with the Masterworks Challenge. (thanks to all of you).

As for me, I am almost done with my second book on my Masterworks list: The Book of the New Sun, Volume 1: Shadow and Claw.   (which in reality is two books in a single volume).  I will probably not move into volume 2 immediately, instead electing to read something a little "lighter" for a couple of months.  While I am not saying I don't like the books, but Gene Wolfe is a master at words, and these books are quite meaty. 

The upside, however, is that like many others, I am participating in another challenge (12 awards in 12 months) and each of the books in the series won different awards, so Volume 1 counts as two books in that challenge.

Keep up the Great Work
Michael 

Edited by ILikeMaps 2014-02-17 8:25 PM
EricLandes
Posted 2014-02-20 9:24 PM (#6525 - in reply to #6041)
Quote Reply

I've gone for the same two challenges you have, and I think I got it down to 15 total books. I might have done it in 14, but I was already halfway through one of the Locus YA SF winners, and figured I'd just count that one.

What got hard for me was finding award winners also on the Masterworks lists that I hadn't already read.
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-02-21 1:00 PM (#6539 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I have it down to 15 or 16 books (depending on what I decide to read).

I have lots and lots of award winners that I haven't read, so finding books is not as difficult.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-02-25 2:13 AM (#6589 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

just realized that I had not posted on this forum when I signed up for the challenge, so I have missed the entire discussion so far. I have signed up for 5 challenges, and have chose to go in the opposite direction. I want to read 57 separate novels for the challenges, no duplicates at all. Matters are helped along in that one of the challenges I am attempting is the YA challenge, and I have chosen 3 YA novels for one of my "The Number Shall Be three" series. Oh yeah and I am doing Discworld for the "One World To Rule Them All Challenge".
ILikeMaps, no one is as shallow a reader as I am. I have no less than 4 zombie novels in my various challenges, it will be 5 if I can snag a copy of "Exit Kingdom" by Alden Bell before the end of the year. Oh yeah, I forgot I also read Parasite by Mira Grant which was a zombie novel that wasn't. I take great pride in the fact that I love to read crap. I get just as much enjoyment from Gail Carriger as I do from Robert Heinlein. And I'm not ashamed to admit it!
francesashton
Posted 2014-02-25 1:26 PM (#6591 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Regular

I appear to have accidentally read a Masterworks book without realising it! I picked up Kate Wilhelm's And Late the Sweet Birds Sang second hand which wasn't in the masterworks livery. So along with an also second-hand omnibus of The Forever War set I'm actually doing quite well with this challenge. Don't mention the reviews though - I've not done any of those and I'll admit I'd rather not. I hate writing reviews.

On the "shallow" theme I've just finished Parasite and am looking forward to seeing what happens next. I've also shifted slightly towards some romantic stuff and been reading Jayne Castle's Rainshadow Island books which at 1 book a day won't take long to finish off.
EricLandes
Posted 2014-02-25 1:30 PM (#6592 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I used to try to write reviews on my blog. Then I realized what I was actually writing were reactions. So, I started calling them "reactions" and they were much easier to write. Not that I've really done any in a couple years in any case.

On the "shallow" theme, I've got a weakness for RPG-based books. I just went through a two-month binge read of a bunch of Pathfinder Tales books, novellas, and short stories. I've also read a number of the Forgotten Realms and Shadowrun books. Not EVERYthing can be deep and heavy...
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-02-26 5:33 PM (#6593 - in reply to #6589)
Quote Reply

Badseedgirl - 2014-02-24 3:13 AM -  just realized that I had not posted on this forum when I signed up for the challenge, so I have missed the entire discussion so far. I have signed up for 5 challenges, and have chose to go in the opposite direction. I want to read 57 separate novels for the challenges, no duplicates at all.

Oh My - 57 books, I only hope I can make my 15-16.

Badseedgirl - 2014-02-24 3:13 AM -  ILikeMaps, no one is as shallow a reader as I am. I have no less than 4 zombie novels in my various challenges .... . And I'm not ashamed to admit it!

Although I am not a Zombie reader, I love a good mindless spy adventure.  Happy to know that I am not alone in imbibing in cheesy reads every so often.     

If anyone wants to recommend a great spy sci-fi, I would love to hear recommendations. 

ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-02-26 5:47 PM (#6594 - in reply to #6591)
Quote Reply

francesashton - 2014-02-24 2:26 PM - I appear to have accidentally read a Masterworks book without realising it! I picked up Kate Wilhelm's And Late the Sweet Birds Sang second hand which wasn't in the masterworks livery. So along with an also second-hand omnibus of The Forever War set I'm actually doing quite well with this challenge.

I love when things like that happen.  I really enjoyed The Forever War, Hope you do to.   Also, I have Kate Wilhelm's book on my list to read as well.  Post your opinion on the forum when you are done, I would love to hear your thoughts ...

francesashton - 2014-02-24 2:26 PM - Don't mention the reviews though - I've not done any of those and I'll admit I'd rather not. I hate writing reviews.

... and when you have let me know what you think about And Late the Sweet Birds Sing ---- copy the sentence or two you wrote in the forum, and paste in your review section under the book.  -- you have just completed a review. 

Frankly I hate doing reviews as well - that is why I had only six in the challenge.  I agree, the reviews, not the reading is the real challenge. 

ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-02-26 5:50 PM (#6595 - in reply to #6592)
Quote Reply

EricLandes - 2014-02-24 2:30 PM - On the "shallow" theme, I've got a weakness for RPG-based books. I just went through a two-month binge read of a bunch of Pathfinder Tales books, novellas, and short stories. I've also read a number of the Forgotten Realms and Shadowrun books. Not EVERYthing can be deep and heavy...

Now that brings up old memories.  I used to play D&D a long time ago (probably more years than I care to admit).   I also read some of the early novels as well.  Nice to hear everyone here has a closet "shallow book" habit. 

Rhondak101
Posted 2014-02-26 8:03 PM (#6600 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

While we are confessing...my new one is Doctor Who novels, not the novelizations, but the ones that appeared during the "wilderness years." I've just picked up the habit. Any other readers out there?
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-02-26 8:48 PM (#6601 - in reply to #6600)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Although I'm a big Doctor Who fan (I saw and still remember the first episode) I have never read one of the books. I do possess, however, Terry Nations's 'The Dalek Pocketbook and Space Traveler's Guide'.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-02-26 9:11 PM (#6602 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Justifiedsinner, that's really cool. I didn't know that book existed.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-02-26 10:48 PM (#6604 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Yup, me and the Doc go way back!
EricLandes
Posted 2014-02-28 4:45 PM (#6622 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

So, back on the inability to write reviews... I just wrote a haiku review.
EricLandes
Posted 2014-02-28 7:00 PM (#6627 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Guest - 2014-02-28 4:57 PM

Please share!

You asked for it!

https://www.worldswithoutend.com/novel_review.asp?ID=4261
Posted 2014-02-28 7:38 PM (#6628 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Not bad!! I loved that book years ago. I'm guessing it may be a bit dated now.
Posted 2014-02-28 7:46 PM (#6629 - in reply to #6628)
Quote Reply

Guest - 2014-02-28 7:38 PM

Not bad!! I loved that book years ago. I'm guessing it may be a bit dated now.

Thanks!

And, I never said I was a good haiku writer. It was just an idea that came to me after a two-beer Friday lunch.

Also, the book's not as dated as you think. It's aged a lot better than other pre-1980 scifi.
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-02-28 9:18 PM (#6630 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Eric

Great - 1 down and 5 to go. Thanks for sharing, I will probably read this one for March.

Cheers
Michael
Michael
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-02-28 10:10 PM (#6631 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Love it. Poetic reviews , the solution to my problems. How about (for the same book):

No clone
Is alone
Can't change
Lack Range
Normal nookie
Wins the cookie
EricLandes
Posted 2014-02-28 10:26 PM (#6632 - in reply to #6630)
Quote Reply

ILikeMaps - 2014-02-28 7:18 PM

Eric

Great - 1 down and 5 to go. Thanks for sharing, I will probably read this one for March.

Cheers
Michael
Michael

Actually, I wrote a lengthier, more traditional review for Little, Big (in which I rambled a lot. Kind of like the house at Edgewood. and the story itself). So, three books down, two reviews written. I didn't write one for Flowers for Algernon.
EricLandes
Posted 2014-02-28 10:27 PM (#6633 - in reply to #6631)
Quote Reply

justifiedsinner - 2014-02-28 8:10 PM

Love it. Poetic reviews , the solution to my problems. How about (for the same book):

No clone
Is alone
Can't change
Lack Range
Normal nookie
Wins the cookie

That's just brilliant.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-03-01 6:52 PM (#6642 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I personally like writing the reviews, but I try to avoid discussions of syntax unless it can't be avoided. (I'm speaking to you Cormac McCarthy and your crazy refusal to use punctuations!) Instead I like to write about how I felt about the novel. It makes it easier to write and when I read a novel review that is what I like to know. Why did it get the stars the reviewer gave it. I also try to say one positive thing about the novel, because just because it was not my cup of tea doesn't make it a bad novel, just bad for me.
Deven Science
Posted 2014-03-01 7:52 PM (#6644 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I end all my reviews by writing how many stars I gave it at the bottom as a summary, since you can't see what the reviewer gave it another way, and since some of these reviews don't even tell me whether they liked it or not. Other than that, I have no format. Some are longer, and go into some depth about the story, and what I felt worked, and what didn't, and others are about two sentences long. It's just whatever I feel compelled to write about that particular story. Either way, I hope they help someone decide what to read next.

I sometimes like the short ones. A short review that says, "it's a mess, avoid it," can be very helpful. Okay, I don't feel like reading a mess, I'll skip that one for now.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-03-01 8:02 PM (#6645 - in reply to #6644)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Deven Science - 2014-03-01 7:52 PM

I sometimes like the short ones. A short review that says, "it's a mess, avoid it," can be very helpful. Okay, I don't feel like reading a mess, I'll skip that one for now.

Short is good, one way I keep mine short is I try not to include a synopsis of the book. I like the star idea.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-03-02 11:46 AM (#6656 - in reply to #6633)
Quote Reply

Uber User

#EricLandes

Thank you. Not having reviewed the book after I read it, I decided to make it my official review.

Edited by justifiedsinner 2014-03-02 11:49 AM
Posted 2014-03-02 1:18 PM (#6657 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I've been trying to work out what to say about The Sweet Birds as suggested by ILikeMaps and can only come up with the fact that I liked the one person per section style of the book but would have liked to know what happened to the ones who left. I'd probably give it a 3 stars as it didn't really give me anything new and won't make me go searching out other books by the author.

Now, I'd not call that a review, but it's an explanation of the score!

I'm not reading anymore RYO books till I've got through the immensity of Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance which is a doorstop of a book if ever there was one! Page 327 so far out of 1085 (not including appendices and notes)

I also noticed that no-one's answered the question about spy sci-fi. I know a lot of crime sic-fi but not spies per se, so that's over to someone else :-)
francesashton
Posted 2014-03-02 1:20 PM (#6658 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Regular

Ok, that Guest post was mine. Forgot I hadn't logged in!
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-03-02 2:17 PM (#6659 - in reply to #6657)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Guest - 2014-03-02 2:18 PM

I've been trying to work out what to say about The Sweet Birds as suggested by ILikeMaps and can only come up with the fact that I liked the one person per section style of the book but would have liked to know what happened to the ones who left. I'd probably give it a 3 stars as it didn't really give me anything new and won't make me go searching out other books by the author.

Now, I'd not call that a review, but it's an explanation of the score!

I'm not reading anymore RYO books till I've got through the immensity of Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance which is a doorstop of a book if ever there was one! Page 327 so far out of 1085 (not including appendices and notes)

I also noticed that no-one's answered the question about spy sci-fi. I know a lot of crime sic-fi but not spies per se, so that's over to someone else :-)

What was the question about spy SF? I think I must have missed that.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-03-02 4:22 PM (#6661 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Justified The City & The City by meiville (sp) would qualify as a mystery.
dustydigger
Posted 2014-03-02 4:26 PM (#6662 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

The nearest thing to a spy sci-fi series I know is Timothy Zahn's fun Quadrail series,with a sort of James Bond government undercover agent who is trying to find who is sabotaging the Quadrail,a fast-than-light railway system than connects planets of the universe.Great fun told with typical Zahn verve.The adventures on the train are very reminiscent of James Bond or North by Northwest. Lots of skullduggery - oh and of course a mysterious beautiful girl.I loved it.
The first book is Night Train to Rigel.

Edited by dustydigger 2014-03-02 4:30 PM
EricLandes
Posted 2014-03-02 4:32 PM (#6663 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Just found this list of "SpyFi" novels. The definition of the Science Fiction part for this list is a little loose, but it's a good starting point.

http://bestsciencefictionbooks.com/spyfi-science-fiction.php#crowd

The Tim Powers book on that list looks intriguing.

Edited by EricLandes 2014-03-02 4:32 PM
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-03-02 7:35 PM (#6665 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

There are quite a few crime mysteries done as SF: Richard Paul Russo's 'Carlucci' series and Jonathan Lethem's 'Gun with Occasional Music' spring to mind. Spy type novels like Le Carre are rarer. William Burrough's 'Nova Express' is a surreal example. Eric Frank Russell has a more conventional novel called Wasp about an agent who disguises himself as an alien in order to disrupt their war effort against Earth.
Charles Stross' 'Laundry Files' series is a supernatural spy thriller.

Edited by justifiedsinner 2014-03-02 7:39 PM
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-03-03 8:19 AM (#6668 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Badseedgirl - Thanks for the recommendation.   I have read The City and the City , and enjoyed it.  Not sure I would consider it "Spy", rather, more of a detective novel, such as The Caves of Steel , or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

dustydigger - The Quadrail series does looks like it would be a be a fun read.  Have read a couple of Timothy Zahn books before and remember that I enjoyed them.  They are also considered Space Opera, which even makes me want to even read them more.   Added to my reading list so I won't forget, after I have completed my challenges. 

EricLandes - Thanks for the link.  I have seen this before and agree that their definition of Science Fiction is indeed rather "loose". Will take another look at the Tim Powers novel.  However seeing the novel from David Weber, makes me want to take another look at the Baen list of novels.  While most of their stuff is military SciFi, there just might be some SpyFi thrown in.

justifiedsinner - Not sure that I had John Le Carre in mind  (his reads are usually quite heady).  Really looking for some of those "beach read" books filled with action, adventure, twists and turns, spys and of course exotic places.  Primarily in the vein of authors such as Robert Ludlum, (have read most of his) or Frederick Forsyth.  However Wasp , by Eric Frank Russell seems to fit the bill quite nicely.  To top it off, its on the SF Masterworks list -  woohoo.  I was looking at one or two more to fill my Masterworks slots. Thanks.

Thanks again to everyone on their ideas for  "SpyFi" novels!

Michael 

Edited by ILikeMaps 2014-03-03 8:20 AM
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-03-03 9:06 AM (#6669 - in reply to #6663)
Quote Reply

Uber User

The Anderson book looks intriguing as well.

Tim Anderson The Flowery War. A fast-paced novel with a new take on the Spyfi sub-genre. A graduate-school dropout, working for an alien language expert, becomes a spy in a futuristic world. 

ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-03-31 7:41 PM (#6797 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Three months into the Challenge and I just finished my third book:

Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang, by Kate Wilhelm, also read by 4 others in the Challenge.  It fulfills one of the books in the SF Mistressworks list (as well as the Locus SF award for the 12 awards in 12 months challenge).

It was an interesting book, which explores the meaning individuality.

Set in a post-apocalyptic world where fertility basically stopped, it is the story of a group of scientists in a fairly isolated valley who implemented cloning, as a way of continuing the human race.  Interesting concepts, and while I haven't yet written a review, I will.  (I need my six).

OK, on to my next book: Ringworld, by Larry Niven.  It is Sci Fi Masterwork novel.  Tried t start this novel many years ago, but this time I will actually read it.

Michael 

Deven Science
Posted 2014-03-31 11:36 PM (#6799 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

ILikeMaps - 2014-03-31 7:41 PM

<p>OK, on to my next book: <a href="../../novel.asp?ID=18">Ringworld</a>, by Larry Niven. It isSci Fi Masterwork novel. Tried t start this novel many years ago, but this time I will actually read it.</p><p>Michael</p><p></p>

I really liked Ringworld. I even went on to read more of the books in the series.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-04-01 12:59 PM (#6802 - in reply to #6799)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Deven Science - 2014-03-31 11:36 PM

ILikeMaps - 2014-03-31 7:41 PM

OK, on to my next book: Ringworld, by Larry Niven. It isSci Fi Masterwork novel. Tried t start this novel many years ago, but this time I will actually read it.

Michael

I really liked Ringworld. I even went on to read more of the books in the series.

And I was not at all impressed with Ringworld. I guess I expected more from the novel. I will say that when I saw the movie "Elysium" the orbiting station reminded me a little of the ringworld description on a small scale. It was one of the saving graces of that movie!
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-04-01 5:26 PM (#6809 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

The Elysium station is based on a design called the Stanford Torus which came out of a 1975 NASA symposium.

Wikipedia has a artists rendition of the torus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_torus
Deven Science
Posted 2014-04-01 6:36 PM (#6810 - in reply to #6809)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Interesting.

But Ringworld was from 1970, and the NASA torus has design hints from that, so her comment is still valid.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-04-02 10:58 AM (#6814 - in reply to #6809)
Quote Reply

Uber User

justifiedsinner - 2014-04-01 5:26 PM

The Elysium station is based on a design called the Stanford Torus which came out of a 1975 NASA symposium.

Wikipedia has a artists rendition of the torus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_torus

Explain your comment. Are you trying to say that my observation that TO ME the station looked like the description of ringworld was invalid? Because My opinion on what it reminded me of is not up for debate. Thanks for the informational tidbit though.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-04-02 11:27 AM (#6817 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I don't see how Ringworld has design hints for an enclosed space habitat. Ringworld was inspired by Freeman Dyson's 1960 paper ,"Search for Artificial Stellar Sources of Infra-Red Radiation" in which he outlined the concept of the Dyson Sphere which in turn was inspired by Olaf Stapledon's "Star Maker".
Dyson's original concept was for a swarm of habitats blocking the sun which was morphed by Robert Siverberg in "Across a Billion Years" into a solid sphere and by Niven into a ring. Both ring and sphere rely on unobtainium, a material of greater tensile strength than would be required to build a terrestrial space elevator whereas space habitats are possible with current materials even though building them is at present prohibitively expensive.

Of more relevance is J. D. Bernals' "the World, the Flesh and the Devil" published in 1929 which described the space habitat known as the Bernal Sphere which influenced both Staledon and Dyson. Of course the whole idea of the space habitat may have derived from the concept of the space station which dates from 1869 (that one was built out of bricks).

If you look at the art work for Island One from O'Neills book and from the NASA Study you will see that they directly influenced the graphics of Elysium (actually it's more like they ripped them off).

Edited by justifiedsinner 2014-04-02 11:31 AM
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-04-02 12:03 PM (#6820 - in reply to #6814)
Quote Reply

Uber User

@badseedgirl

No. I was stating that the film designers were influenced more by the O'Neill art work than by Ringworld. In fact, as I stated in the previous post, I think they ripped them off. If you were not aware of O'Neill's work then you wouldn't know that but I thought you might be interested.
I bought O'Neill's book when it came out in 1976 and have been an L5er (as we are known) ever since. We believe that humanity's future and survival depends on colonizing space. It is a disappointment that this has only been realized in fiction and in mediocre SF films. It is a further disappointment that people talk blithely about colonizing and terraforming Mars when building habitats would likely be more cost effective.

Edited by justifiedsinner 2014-04-02 12:06 PM
Jkl22
Posted 2014-04-02 12:29 PM (#6821 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Hello, I'm new to the site.

I decided at the end of last year that I'd left Science Fiction on the shelf too long (20ish Years). After deciding to try some, I found about 6 or 7 Philip K. Dick novels in a second hand stall in a local market. Some were Masterwork prints and some weren't. I decided to look into this group of books and have other titles from the list to read. I've mostly enjoyed the ones I've read so far. Any advice on the others would be great.

Edited by Jkl22 2014-04-02 12:31 PM
Deven Science
Posted 2014-04-02 2:31 PM (#6824 - in reply to #6821)
Quote Reply

Uber User

First post! Welcome!

I don't know your taste well enough to throw suggestions out there, other than to say that the Masterworks Challenge is a good place to start, and if you truly don't know in which direction to go, maybe cross reference this list with actual award winners?
daxxh
Posted 2014-04-02 2:48 PM (#6825 - in reply to #6824)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Jkl22

Some of my favorites from the Masterworks list are Dune by Frank Herbert (my favorite book), Hyperion by Dan Simmons, Nova by Samuel Delaney, and Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-04-02 3:50 PM (#6826 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Seems that you like big scale SF. I'd try:

The Forever War
The Stars My Destination
Lord of Light
Gateway
Blood Music
Eon
Ringworld
Floating Worlds and
Take Back Plenty to start with.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-04-02 3:59 PM (#6828 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Jlk22, You might want to take a look at the Grandmaster Challenge as well. It is a good one to pair with Masterworks. Plus you get to sample many of the big names. Welcome!
Rhonda
jkl22
Posted 2014-04-02 4:46 PM (#6830 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. I've just read Dune , which I enjoyed, except the mua'd dib part in the middle. I enjoyed the politics and plotting, (House of cards, UK version).

ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-04-02 8:05 PM (#6834 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

jlk22  If you like politics and plotting - then you will love the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny.  It is on the Fantasy Masterworks list, but don't let that fool you, it is a very different type of fantasy.  I have read it twice, and plan to re-read it again in a couple of years.

One note, the book is really an omnibus of five (small) books combined into one volume.  So it is rather long.

Edited by ILikeMaps 2014-04-02 8:07 PM
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-04-03 11:33 AM (#6838 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

There does seem to be a fantasy sub-genre involved with Machiavellian maneuvers. Game of Thrones springs to mind.
EricLandes
Posted 2014-04-03 11:36 AM (#6839 - in reply to #6838)
Quote Reply

justifiedsinner - 2014-04-03 9:33 AM

There does seem to be a fantasy sub-genre involved with Machiavellian maneuvers. Game of Thrones springs to mind.

I've only read one book in the series, but wouldn't Banks' The Culture books qualify as Machiavellian Sci-Fi? Consider Phlebas certainly felt that way.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-04-03 4:28 PM (#6840 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I would suggest the Culture novels except they are not yet in the Masterworks series.
Jkl22
Posted 2014-04-04 1:16 PM (#6844 - in reply to #6830)
Quote Reply

jkl22 - 2014-04-02 10:46 PM

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions.

I've just read Dune , which I enjoyed, except the mua'd dib part in the middle. I enjoyed the politics and plotting, (House of cards, UK version).

I've recently read the Foundation Trilogy, Flowers for Algernon and A Clockwork Orange

My To Be Read List

Alastair Reynolds

Revelation Space

Redemption Ark

Absolution Gap

Century Rains

John  Wyndham

Triffids 

Kraken

Chrysalids

Midwich Cuckoos

Trouble With Lichen

Chocky

Philip K. Dick

4 Short Story Collections

James Blish 

Cities In Flight

Dan Simmons

Hyperion

The Fall of Hyperion

Greg Bear

Eon

Eternity

Legacy

Blood Music

Darwin's Radio

Ben Bova

Mars

Sheri S. Teper

Grass

This is the post I should have made, If you could delete the other one, Thanks.

Edited by Jkl22 2014-04-04 1:22 PM
Jkl22
Posted 2014-04-07 4:10 PM (#6861 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

So far this year I've read:-http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12444-jackm-science-fiction-2014/
PKD
Time out of joint 3/5
Now wait for last year 3/5
Do androids dream of electric sheep 3/5
Ubik 3/5
A maze of death 3/5
Flow my tears, the policeman said 3/5
A scanner darkly 2/5

Anthony Burgess
A clockwork orange 3.5/5

Isaac Asimov
Foundation 3/5
F & E 3/5
SF 2/5

Daniel Keyes
Flowers for algernon 2/5

Frank Herbert
Dune 4/5

ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-04-08 7:51 PM (#6921 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Jkl22

Hope that you enjoy Cities in Flight .  I read it many years ago and remember that I really enjoyed it.  One of these days I am going to read it again, and hope that it is as good as I remember.

Edited by ILikeMaps 2014-04-08 7:52 PM
francesashton
Posted 2014-04-20 10:40 AM (#7288 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Regular

Cities in Flight is one of those books I always go back to. It's a great read and I've not yet got bored of the idea of whole cities wandering around as they want.

My Masterworks challenge has been put on hold a bit as I've been concentrating on the YA one. However, I'm trying to read Dhalgren by Sam Delaney and to say that I don't understand it would be an understatement. Reading the blurb on the back suggests that I'm probably not supposed to understand it but it's very much hard work, so I might shelve it to go back to later on.

I might move on to The Dispossessed but I don't think I can count it for this challenge as I've read quite a bit of Ursula Le Guin previously, but it's in my TBR pile and in the right livery!
Deven Science
Posted 2014-04-20 6:44 PM (#7293 - in reply to #7288)
Quote Reply

Uber User

If you haven't previously read The Dispossessed, I'd say you can count it. It doesn't matter how many books you've read from the same author, it's about the classic book itself. Related to that, I'm rereading Dune for the first time in years. So long ago, that it's like it's the first time. BUT! Because I have read it before, I'm not counting it for this challenge. It's supposed to be 12 classics you haven't read.

I read Dhalgren some years ago, and I never quite knew what was going on, and in the end, had to admit that I hated it. Some artists think that being obscure means that it's deep, but it doesn't always. Sometimes it just means it's convoluted and confusing. I've read two Delaney novels, and I didn't like either of them. I've written that author off as not my taste.

francesashton
Posted 2014-04-22 1:03 PM (#7312 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Regular

Thanks Deven, I'll get on to the Dispossessed later on then when I've finished my current book. I must say I'm agreeing with you on the Delany at the moment, though I'm not sure I can make an opinion on only one book of his (partially) read so far. After that I think I'll try Grass (Sherri Tepper) or Sarah Canary (Karen Joy Fowler).
Dlw28
Posted 2014-04-22 8:22 PM (#7314 - in reply to #7312)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Grass and SC are such unusual books. Wonderfully written! Both plots have interesting surprises towards the end.

I have Dhalgren on my TBR list... Anyone else read it and can give me an idea of why it's considered a classic??
francesashton
Posted 2014-04-28 1:49 PM (#7394 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Regular

Dhalgren is one of the most frustrating books I've read. I've given it up for now and put it back on my TBR pile (but it's behind an ever-growing pile of 60+ books). It's interesting just incomprehensible in terms of it's basic premises. I sometimes wonder if the reason a lot of books are considered classics are simply because of frustration - "it's difficult to understand therefore it must be good".

On the same sort of subject, I've just given up Lord of Light by Zelazny because it's monumentally boring. Obviously others will find it a riveting read, but not me!

And if you're in the UK and you like the SF Masterworks, Fopp have got a lot of them on 2 for 5. If you can find a Fopp, of course!
daxxh
Posted 2014-04-28 2:33 PM (#7397 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

In reply to Dlw28 and francesashton -

I read Dhalgren twice - once when I was 14 and again when I was 18. I thought it was great. Back then, I was into anything sf, and really liked the artsy stuff. Dhalgren starts with the end of a sentence and ends with the beginning of the sentence. It has no real plot. I kept reading to find out about the giant sun and the two moons, but nothing was mentioned about why they were there. There is a lot of sex in the book. Back then, no one talked about homosexuality or anything sex related for that matter (small town in the 1970s), so I got quite the education in that regard. I am lucky my parents didn't pick that one up and read a few pages. I'd have been banned from reading. (I did get a lecture about reading "such garbage" when my mom read a few pages of A Boy and His Dog. Of all the pages she had to pick from, she had to pick that particular page of that particular story... I hid Dhalgren after that.)

Perhaps it's a classic because it has no plot, because it is artsy or because it has topics in it that, to the characters in the book were no big deal, but were a big deal in the real world. I suspect that were I to read it for the first time now, I wouldn't like it as much as I did then.

I tried to read Lord of Light in my twenties and thought the same - boring. I have never gone back to it, even though I know many people who think it's the greatest book written.
francesashton
Posted 2014-05-01 1:54 PM (#7459 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Regular

One of my 2 for a 5 at Fopp books was Philip Dick's A Maze of Death which I've just finished. Now that was a good read - a bit of everything in there and really well written. I'd forgotten how good Dick was, it's that long since I read any.
Deven Science
Posted 2014-05-02 1:58 PM (#7495 - in reply to #7459)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Interesting. I'm currently reading Dr. Bloodmoney, and I can tell you that for me, it took four books, but I will finally admit that I don't like Dick. I'll finish this one, but I will not read another. He throws everything at the wall, and some cool stuff sticks, but you have to slosh through a lot of nonsense to get to the few good bits.
Jkl22
Posted 2014-05-09 2:24 PM (#7567 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I'm planning on finishing Cif 3 and then starting Grass this weekend.
Jkl22
Posted 2014-05-09 2:25 PM (#7568 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I'm planning on finishing Cif 3 and then starting Grass this weekend.
Dlw28
Posted 2014-05-10 5:52 AM (#7575 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Let me know what you think about Grass. I remember staying up literally all night to finish it. The atmosphere of the unknown was visceral.

Currently half way through Greg Bear's Eon. Written in 1985 it's a little dated in its politics-but less than you might think!
Jkl22
Posted 2014-05-10 5:16 PM (#7586 - in reply to #7575)
Quote Reply

Dlw28 - 2014-05-10 11:52 AM Let me know what you think about Grass. I remember staying up literally all night to finish it. The atmosphere of the unknown was visceral. Currently half way through Greg Bear's Eon. Written in 1985 it's a little dated in its politics-but less than you might think!

I hope I enjoy it as much as you did.

Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-05-11 7:10 AM (#7589 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I am getting ready to read Robert Silverberg's Dying Inside and I just put in my interlibrary loan for Tannith Lee's Silver Metal Lover. I have no idea when it will be in.
dustydigger
Posted 2014-05-11 12:33 PM (#7593 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

I never use interlibrary loans,our library system charges about the equivalent of $15 to get such a book.I may as well get a copy online for about $5! I have had Neil Gaiman's Season of Mists reserved at the library since January and no sign of it,though all the others in the series up to and including book 7 were ordered at the same time,and all came within 6 weeks. Wonder if someone pinched it?
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-05-11 8:02 PM (#7597 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

We don't have to pay anything for ours anymore. several years ago they would charge a dollar to cover postage, but they have even dropped that now.
dustydigger
Posted 2014-05-12 12:58 AM (#7602 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Huh! Peagreen with envy!
Deven Science
Posted 2014-05-12 1:37 AM (#7604 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Yeah, I can order a book from any library in the network, which is most of Northern California, and it's absolutely free. I think only one of the books for this challenge so far has come from the library, though. Most I've bought from Amazon, or found them used at a small bookstore.
Jkl22
Posted 2014-05-19 11:47 AM (#7737 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I'm struggling with Grass at the moment, it needs a revelation about the arbai or other twist soon or I'll give up on it. I've got to page 160.

Dlw28
Posted 2014-05-19 1:15 PM (#7740 - in reply to #7737)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Oh I hope you can keep with it. There are mysteries and you learn a little at a time-just as if it was you on the planet trying to understand the culture. It reminds me if the Left Hand of Darkness in that way.
Jkl22
Posted 2014-05-24 4:13 PM (#7804 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I'm reading the last short of Cities In Flight at the moment. I'll probably go back to Grass after.
I've got a readathon coming up and am considering which of these to read over three days. Tau Zero, Lord Of Light, Blood Music, The Demolished Man, Gateway.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-05-24 5:47 PM (#7805 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I read Lord of Light not too long ago and thought it was great, but it wasn't really a page-turner.

I read Gateway and The Demolished Man a long time ago, and absolutely adored both of them. I'm a bit worried I wouldn't like them so much if I read them again now. I loved the idea of Gateway. I wanted that to be my job.
Jkl22
Posted 2014-05-25 12:11 AM (#7811 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Thanks DrNefario
Jkl22
Posted 2014-06-04 2:03 PM (#7892 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I've got 50 pages of Grass left to read, so I should finish that tonight.
It definitely had a slow start, but it picked up in the second half.
Jkl22
Posted 2014-06-09 12:14 PM (#7913 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I read Alfred Bester's The Demolished Man over the weekend, which I enjoyed. I also got halfway through Greg Bear's Blood Music, which has reminded me a little of Grass, Just a lot shorter.
I'm not sure whether to just try the Hugo's now?
Jkl22
Posted 2014-06-12 2:33 PM (#7929 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I'm currently reading Tau Zero by Poul Anderson
Administrator
Posted 2014-06-12 4:19 PM (#7930 - in reply to #7929)
Quote Reply

Admin

We've just added a few new Masterworks to the lists for your consideration.

Mythago Wood Ombria in Shadow The Long Tomorrow Her Smoke Rose Up Forever Monday Begins on Saturday The Day of the Triffids

The Day of the Triffids is the last of the original hardcover masterworks that doesn't have a paperback in the new series.

Administrator
Posted 2014-06-17 7:58 AM (#7961 - in reply to #7930)
Quote Reply

Admin

Ooops!  I missed one other hardcover that has not gotten the paperback treatment and it's a doozy!

The Left Hand of Darkness
Deven Science
Posted 2014-06-17 11:15 PM (#7967 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I hate to bring up a negative, when this whole thing is doing nothing but promoting reading, but I've noticed that a few of the people that are entered in the challenge are filling up there 12 book requirement with very modern books that are not on the Masterworks lists.

I realize that it's ultimately a challenge for oneself, but it still... bothers me. Maybe I'm too much of a rule follower. I didn't even realize that you could select books that were not on the Masterworks list to be read for the Masterworks challenge.

Is there a way to place the the "2014 Masterworks Reading Challenge" only on books that are eligible?
Administrator
Posted 2014-06-18 9:23 AM (#7969 - in reply to #7967)
Quote Reply

Admin

Deven Science - 2014-06-17 11:15 PM I hate to bring up a negative, when this whole thing is doing nothing but promoting reading, but I've noticed that a few of the people that are entered in the challenge are filling up there 12 book requirement with very modern books that are not on the Masterworks lists. I realize that it's ultimately a challenge for oneself, but it still... bothers me. Maybe I'm too much of a rule follower. I didn't even realize that you could select books that were not on the Masterworks list to be read for the Masterworks challenge. Is there a way to place the "2014 Masterworks Reading Challenge" only on books that are eligible?

Here are some stats to put your mind at ease

• There are 439 selections for the 2014 Masterworks Reading Challenge
  • 271 SF Masterworks selections
  • 87 Fantasy Masterworks
  • 125 Mistressworks selections
  • 15 invalid selections 

There is some overlap between the lists where Mistressworks books are also on either of the Masterworks lists.  Fifteen invalid selections from a handful of members is not too shabby out of 439 selections so the self-policing is working pretty well so far which is how most of the RYO challenges work.

This happens to be a case where we can restrict the checkbox from showing on ineligible novel pages so we're looking into that now.  For the record, it bothers me a little bit too.  I like things to be nice and tidy.

Posted 2014-06-18 11:21 AM (#7971 - in reply to #7969)
Quote Reply

Administrator - 2014-06-18 9:23 AM

Deven Science - 2014-06-17 11:15 PM I hate to bring up a negative, when this whole thing is doing nothing but promoting reading, but I've noticed that a few of the people that are entered in the challenge are filling up there 12 book requirement with very modern books that are not on the Masterworks lists. I realize that it's ultimately a challenge for oneself, but it still... bothers me. Maybe I'm too much of a rule follower. I didn't even realize that you could select books that were not on the Masterworks list to be read for the Masterworks challenge. Is there a way to place the "2014 Masterworks Reading Challenge" only on books that are eligible?

Here are some stats to put your mind at ease

• There are 439 selections for the2014 Masterworks Reading Challenge
  • 271 SF Masterworks selections
  • 87 Fantasy Masterworks
  • 125 Mistressworks selections
  • 15 invalid selections

There is some overlapbetween the listswhere Mistressworks books are also on either of the Masterworks lists. Fifteen invalid selections from a handful of membersis not too shabby out of 439 selections so the self-policing is working pretty well so far which is how most of the RYO challenges work.

Thishappens to be a case where we can restrict the checkbox from showing on ineligible novel pages so we're looking into that now. For the record, it bothers me a little bit too. I like things to be nice and tidy.

Oops, I see now that I left the word "box" or "checkbox" out of my last sentence. Luckily, you still understood what I was trying to say.

You're right, though, 15 out of 439 is not bad at all.
francesashton
Posted 2014-06-30 1:11 PM (#8029 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Regular

I keep getting distracted from this challenge but I am aiming to get Valis by PKD done, followed by The Dispossessed by Ursuala le Guin. Then maybe Sherri Tepper's Beauty. Still not done those reviews though. Must get round to them.
Jkl22
Posted 2014-07-16 12:38 PM (#8201 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I recently tried to read Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny, but I've stopped halfway. It just seems to be going nowhere.
I read a review that said there was a sort of Holodeck experience going on, I must have missed the references.
spoltz
Posted 2014-08-05 10:34 AM (#8272 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Joining in the discussion late in the game. I've got one book to go to finish the challenge. I'm in a suburb of Portland, OR, and my county library system has a pretty extensive SF/F component, but I've been surprised at how few of the Masterworks and Grand Master titles they have. Even the other two counties in the Portland metro area are sorely lacking in these. I've had to get out-of area inter-library loans on quite a few. But they've been really good about getting them in from Washington, Idaho, and California, two week delivery, max.

I have a lot of overlap between this challenge and the Grand Master challenge, which has been nice. These challenges have been great for getting me to read some authors that I should have read long ago, as well as made me aware of more recent great books, like the early works of Elizabreth Hand, Nalo Hopkinson and Nicola Griffith.

Sorry you didn't enjoy Lord of Light, JKL. It is one of my favorite books, but I love books that play around with religions and mythologies. If it helps, the order of the chapters is 6,1,2,3,4,5,7. That really threw me off the first time I read it. I think my favorite part of the book was where the invention of indoor plumbing was looming and someone was saving up their personal waste to get a jump start on the good karma they'd get for having some much to flush.
francesashton
Posted 2014-08-16 3:22 PM (#8325 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Regular

Virtually impossible to get classic SF at my local library in the UK. Lots of recent stuff though and every now and again you get a gem (Poppy Brite for instance was one I wasn't expecting). I make my library buy them by requesting them for a small fee.

I've got 4 more in the official Masterworks series in by TBR pile but I keep getting distracted by other cracking reads I pick up. Currently WAY into Anthony Ryan and Patrick Rothfuss, which don't help with either of my challenges!
Deven Science
Posted 2014-08-16 4:17 PM (#8326 - in reply to #8325)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I have let a handful of non-Masterworks books creep in to my reading rotation, as well. I figure I'm ahead of the game so far, so it won't hurt anything. I'm reading Richard K. Morgan's Blackman right now (called Thirteen in the US, I think), and next I'll be reading Red Shirts by John Scalzi. I'm still also muddling through The Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon, but man, that is slow, tough reading.
francesashton
Posted 2014-09-03 3:28 PM (#8432 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Regular

I think I'm done. 12 books, 12 reviews. I've still got some of the Masterworks series in my reading pile though, so done with the challenge, but not the series!
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-09-04 9:23 AM (#8435 - in reply to #8432)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Save it for next year!
Dlw28
Posted 2014-09-04 9:28 AM (#8436 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

After RYO I'm having a hard time imagining what kind of challenges will be offered next year!
Posted 2014-09-04 10:00 AM (#8437 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I feel the same way Dlw28! There are quite a few challenges I didn't do this year that I want to do next year, and some I want to do again. Considering the admin created a challenge recently that goes through next year, I bet we'll be keeping the ryo format and just updating the challenges as people create them. This has been a fun set of challenges! And there's so many more masterworks I want to read still.
Dlw28
Posted 2014-09-04 10:22 AM (#8438 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

I like that idea too!
spoltz
Posted 2014-09-04 10:26 AM (#8439 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Oops, that guest comment was me, spoltz. I was posting from my phone and forgot to login first.
Administrator
Posted 2014-09-04 11:50 AM (#8440 - in reply to #8439)
Quote Reply

Admin

The Roll-You-Own Reading Challenge is the new default for the site now and we plan to keep it running forever.  WWEnders can roll new challenges at any time and they can overlap the calendar year as needed or you can wait for January to launch new ones if you want a nice neat yearly challenge format.  I suspect we'll just add the year to the challenge banners and refresh the most popular challenges annually.

We just love this format since it gives everyone a chance to find or roll a challenge that fits their needs.  Nobody gets turned away because they don't like the single challenge theme.  That's huge!  It has lead to a lot of great creativity and enthusiasm from our whole community and we just want to keep on expanding it year after year.

We have a lot of updates and new ideas that we never got around to implementing this year that we will certainly get in for next year to make the interface better and give you guys more options and controls on your challenges.  So many in fact that you can consider this year the beta test version.  If you like this year's version you're going to love what we have in mind for next.  It's going to be really great!

Dlw28
Posted 2014-09-05 9:25 PM (#8444 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Ok! Sounds great. Thanks for getting this organized. I'm guessing it took quite a bit of time and energy.
spoltz
Posted 2014-09-06 12:02 PM (#8448 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thanks for the info Dave! I love the challenges! I wish there was a way to keep the challenge badges in a user's profile somewhere, sort of like a album. It would probably take up a lot of server space, but it would be a fun way to keep track of the challenges you completed. Have you had any thoughts about something like that?
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-09-06 4:59 PM (#8451 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I'm super excited to hear about RYO. I plan on doing the sequel one and The Masterworks, which I did not do this year. I can't wait to see what people come up with for next year!
Jkl22
Posted 2014-10-09 1:09 PM (#8711 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I've given up on Sci-fi again and haven't read any in a while. I've gone back to crime for my sins.
Deven Science
Posted 2014-11-24 11:49 PM (#8926 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Finished all 12 books! I'm currently working on Bill Bryson's A Brief History of Nearly Everything, and then I'll start on another challenge in January.
jontlaw
Posted 2014-12-26 6:28 PM (#9046 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Finished! Read the following - and spectacular books all of them:

SF Masterworks
1. A Canticle for Liebowitz, by Walter M. Miller, Jr
2. Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut
3. the Difference Engine, by Bruce Sterling & William Gibson
4. Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, by Philip K. Dick
5. The Prestige, by Christopher Priest
6. The Sirens of Titan, by Kurt Vonnegut
7. The Space Merchants, by Frederick Pohl & C.M. Kornbluth
Fantasy Masterworks
8. The Anubis Gates, by Tim Powers
9. Grendel, by John Gardner
10. Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury
SF Mistressworks
11. Doomsday Book, by Connie Willis
12. Witch World, by Andre Norton
illegible_scribble
Posted 2015-02-19 5:02 AM (#9675 - in reply to #9046)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Just an FYI, the Kindle version of Pat Murphy's The City, Not Long After -- which is on the SF Mistressworks List and also a Mythopoeic- and Clarke-nominated novel as well, is on sale for the next 20+ hours for $1.99. I've snapped that baby up, since my library system, though very well SFF-equipped, does not have it.

And it looks as though Nook has matched that sale price. Kobo may do so as well.

Edit: Just realized it's not eligible for the 12 Awards in 12 Months Challenge, as it was nominated, but did not win.

Edited by illegible_scribble 2015-02-19 5:08 AM