open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The future, according to some scientists, will be exactly like the past, only far more expensive." - John Sladek
- (Added by: Administrator)

What are we reading in March 2020?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2020-03-01 3:29 PM (#21875)
Subject: What are we reading in March 2020?

Elite Veteran

Dusty's TBR for March:

Charles Stross - Labyrinth Index
A E Van Vogt - Slan
Colin Greenland - Take Back Plenty
Gregory Benford - Eater
Jack McDevitt - Moonfall
C J Cherryh - Voyager in Night
Cherie Priest - Boneshaker

Almost finished Eater,an enjoyable Benford novel about a strange alien which clings to a small black hole and has some sinister designs on humans.In Cherryh's Voyager in Night we have an insane AI of an alien ship who has captured some human,stortured and killed them to make templates to produce perfect holographic copies to study.Very very bleak and dark!
Hmmm.......Humans are so not doing well out in space in this month's reads
Meanwhile,back on earth Nyarlathotep is Prime Minister,while certain spells have made the whole American population totally forget that they have ever had such a thing as a president.Charlie Stross is getting more and more bizarre in the Laundry files! lol.Good fun though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2020-03-03 1:39 AM (#21894 - in reply to #21875)
Subject: Re: What are we reading in March 2020?

Extreme Veteran

I just finished His Majesty's Dragon. That was fun. I love Temeraire.
For the rest of March, I am planning to read

The Supernova Era - Cixin Liu
Resnick's Menagerie - Mike Resnick
Bridge 108 - Anne Charnock
The Book of Strange New Things - Michel Faber

But, plans change. I am going to the Tucson Festival of Books this year and will probably acquire a bunch of US Southwest history books!

Edited by daxxh 2020-03-03 1:40 AM
Administrator
Posted 2020-03-03 1:12 PM (#21899 - in reply to #21894)

Admin

I'm on to The Hallowed Hunt to finish out my Lois McMaster Bujold Reading Challenge. Really enjoyed the first 2 books and I'm hoping this one does not disappoint.
daxxh
Posted 2020-03-15 12:41 PM (#21911 - in reply to #21899)

Extreme Veteran

Just finished Bridge 108 by Anne Charnock. It was ok - not as good as the other books that I have read by her.
spoltz
Posted 2020-03-17 3:57 AM (#21913 - in reply to #21875)

Uber User

So far this month, I've read:
Ink and Steel - Elizabeth Bear - Tough to follow in the beginning, but a terrific ending
In the Blood - Lauren Wright Douglas - Not a great book, but I enjoyed it. It was about the aftermath of a pandemic. A timely read ;-)
Songs of Chaos - SN Lewitt - Very strange book about a generations ship from Brazil where the focus is on Carnivale. Another tough beginning, but I got into it in the 2nd half.

I'll be working from home the next couple of weeks, so I should get a little more reading done than I expected. I have work to do, but not a months worth.

Be safe everyone!
spoltz
Posted 2020-03-21 6:27 PM (#21920 - in reply to #21913)

Uber User

This week, I read 3 books that are out of print:
Somewhere in the Night - Jeffrey N. McMahan - 8 gay tales of the supernatural. I really liked all the stories. Horror and suspense ranging from the mundane to the grotesque.
Through a Brazen Mirror - Delia Sherman - Really good Fantasy with a "Victor/Victoria" theme. Sherman later went on to win a Mythopoeic award and a few others for later books.
Heartstone and Saber - Jacqui Singleton - Not a great book, but a pretty okay read. Sort of a lesbian sword and sorcery novel. I'm pretty sure it was a first novel by the author and it kinda shows. She could have used a good editor, especially for the dialogue which was a little wooden at times.

I'll probably slow down in reading this coming week as I'll have more work to do, as I work from home. Athough I have one more hard copy book on my nightstand and 4 more coming in the mail this week. I've been ordering used books from Powell's and Amazon like a fiend LOL.
daxxh
Posted 2020-03-24 11:06 AM (#21927 - in reply to #21920)

Extreme Veteran

I am reading Resnick's Menagerie and am really liking it. Not sure how I missed reading Resnick books for so long. My first book of his was Ivory, which I read last year and I really liked that one too.
spoltz
Posted 2020-04-04 4:04 AM (#21947 - in reply to #21875)

Uber User

I forgot to post that I finished off March with three more books:
Queer Fear II - Michael Rowe, editor - Well written anthology of horror short stories. My biggest complaint was that there weren't many with female main characters, but otherwise I enjoyed it immensely.
How Are The Mighty Fallen - Thomas Burnett Swann - retelling of the Biblical David and Jonathan story with Goliath and fantasy elements. It also explores the controversial idea that David and Jonathan were more than really good friends. I really enjoyed this one as well.
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - NK Jemisin - Really good for her first novel. I ate this one up. I got it and the rest of the series on sale at Amazon for the Kindle, and am using this for the Authors of Color and the Number of the Counting shall be 3 challenges.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)