open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." - Frank Herbert, Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, "Dune"
- (Added by: Administrator)

Our reads in April 2024
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2024-03-31 2:49 PM (#29468)
Subject: Our reads in April 2024

Elite Veteran

I am extremely poorly. Really broken immune system,every part of my body seems in revolt against me. Second outbreak this month,but this one is a doozy. Blurred vision,ear infections,ulcerated mouth.horrific vertigo,water infection,joints in crisis,so I cant walk more than two steps.Nightmare.. At least today I came downstairs a bit dizzy,but standing,not shuffling on my bottom like a baby! lol.
It is part genetic,my grandmother spent the last 4 years of her life bedridden,and despite the major medical progress made these days,things arent too great.. sadly,I have poor Mr Dusty declining fast,not sure how things will go. For now we keep plodding.
Not sure what I will read this month,so far cant sit up at the computer,vision is blurred,back hurts
For now I am attempting to reread Bunyan's Pilgrims Progress,an old favourite,both comforting and warming.
Put aside Anderson's The Broken Sword,too dark and heavy at the moment. Did read a couple of Winston SF juveniles in March,with probably manage another this month. Now read 31/37,determined to finish the list this year.
If I improve over next few days i will try to post at least a small TBR.
For now its back to bed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2024-03-31 9:43 PM (#29470 - in reply to #29468)
Subject: Re: Our reads in April 2024

Extreme Veteran

@dustydigger. Sorry to hear that you are feeling poorly. Hope you get well soon and can get back to reading.

My April List

Princess of Dune - Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
Empress of Mars - Kage Baker
Dark Matter - Blake Crouch
Red Team Blues - Cory Doctorow
Verses for the Dead - Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child

Library Book Sale next week, so that list might change.
bazhsw
Posted 2024-04-05 3:11 PM (#29484 - in reply to #29468)

Regular

I'm sorry to read that you are unwell Dustydigger - I hope you can recover soon. It sounds like you are having a tough time of it.

I have just finished reading 'Mama Day' by Gloria Naylor which was superb, and just started Charles R. Johnson's 'Middle Passage' - not sure after that

dustydigger
Posted 2024-04-08 3:50 AM (#29488 - in reply to #29484)

Elite Veteran

Hi folks,here I am,weak and sick,still,with cystitis,bilious stomach,but many things have improved. Knees no longer hurting,vertigo almost gone,mouth scabs gone,I call those a win!. Physically very weak though,going to take time to build back up ,but there is progress.
Reading has been very patchy,but I finished my reread of Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress.. Delightful as ever. I too feel as if I have been in the Slough of Despond,and the Valley of the Shadow of Death.lol. As a King James bible loyalist Bunyan's strong vigorous prose is so redolent,so steeperead.d in that translation that its wonderful to read.
I also managed a light crime novel,set in Spain,and am 2/3 through a Winston juvenile,so the brain is now functioning enough to follow a story. I'm getting there!
Think I will attempt Simak's The Werewolf Principle this week.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)