open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "No matter what they may have done in life, they must have started out innocent, as do we all, so don't be too hard on them. It was your fault for making them Human, which was a dirty trick. If you are out there somewhere, you ought to be ashamed of yourself." Valiha's remarks over 13 dead humans - John Varley (Demon)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

SF slang
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

spectru
Posted 2014-08-29 1:58 PM (#8380)
Subject: SF slang

Veteran

I'm reading John Brunner's Stand on Zanzibar in which Brunner uses a lot of made-up slang, e.g. Afram, shiggies, not worth a pint of whale dreck, etc,etc,etc. A Clockwork Orange is famous for it's slang. (It includes a glossary.) Even Asimov's characters use 'space' as an expletive. Grok from Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land has almost entered common usage.

I looked in the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and the Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction and whatever else Google could turn up. I found lots of definitions for terms referring to science fictional devices and concepts, but no glossary for SF slang. Occasionally a word is defined in a book but there are lots of SF slang words for which we learn the meaning from context. I can find no general glossary.

Does anybody know of a glossary of SF slang?

If there isn't one, what a great project!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2014-09-05 7:46 PM (#8442 - in reply to #8380)
Subject: RE: SF slang

Admin

spectru - 2014-08-29 1:58 PM I'm reading John Brunner's Stand on Zanzibar in which Brunner uses a lot of made-up slang, e.g. Afram, shiggies, not worth a pint of whale dreck, etc,etc,etc. A Clockwork Orange is famous for it's slang. (It includes a glossary.) Even Asimov's characters use 'space' as an expletive. Grok from Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land has almost entered common usage. I looked in the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and the Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction and whatever else Google could turn up. I found lots of definitions for terms referring to science fictional devices and concepts, but no glossary for SF slang. Occasionally a word is defined in a book but there are lots of SF slang words for which we learn the meaning from context. I can find no general glossary. Does anybody know of a glossary of SF slang? If there isn't one, what a great project!

I don't know of a really compete one but I found this one some time ago and it's a bit of fun:

Swearwords of Science Fiction and Fantasy

It's got slang from books, TV and movies.  It's frelling fantastic!  

Deven Science
Posted 2015-09-02 12:57 PM (#11267 - in reply to #8380)
Subject: Re: SF slang

Uber User

This is actually a great discussion subject. One sees it on TV often, because of course, it's a way to get around the censors. The "frak" of BSG. Firefly's many Chinese inspired curses such as "gorram."

It's a bit tougher to think of slang words in books off the top of my head, though, other than the obvious previously mentioned A Clockwork Orange. Grok was a great call, as well. I will occasionally tell people, "I am only an egg," which has never been identified once to this day. Ooh! Right before I hit submit, the Hitchhikers series came to mind. Frood, hoopy, and many other good ones there.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2015-09-02 7:33 PM (#11268 - in reply to #8380)
Subject: Re: SF slang

Uber User

urbandictionary.com, the dictionary of urban slang, has a lot of SF expressions and a lot that are NSFW.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)