open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Sometimes a mad wife may slap the baglady to help it breed and then cut the unbiblical corn as a moral admonition. The play centre is a rich source of nude miscreants and many animals eat it. - Richard Littler (Discovering Scarfolk)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

The Winston Science Fiction Series List
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2014-12-30 10:47 PM (#9070)
Subject: The Winston Science Fiction Series List

Admin

Here's another new list to check out:  Winston Science Fiction Series

All these books were put in over the last few months by WWEnder RhondaK101 with some help from a couple other Uber Users - many thanks as usual.  We decided to make the series a list so you can track them like our other lists.  If you're not familiar with the Winston series they're a bunch of great old-school young adult books before YA was a thing.  Check it out and let us know what you think.

Winston Science Fiction Series

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2014-12-31 12:04 AM (#9071 - in reply to #9070)
Subject: Re: The Winston Science Fiction Series List

Admin

Bump.
dustydigger
Posted 2016-04-11 2:10 AM (#13225 - in reply to #9070)
Subject: Re: The Winston Science Fiction Series List

Elite Veteran

I finally got around to checking out the Winston series,and I am really enjoying them! Wish I had had access to them back in my youth. I never came across such books in our tiny public library here in UK.Very old fashioned,staunchly middle class,I'm sure the old lady-librarian would have had apoplexy at the thought.Luckily Open Library has no less than 21 of the 37 available for borrowing!
So far I've read Evan Hunter's Find the Feathered Serpent where a boy goes back in a time machine to meet the Mayans of Chichen Itza,and Erik the Viking, and Milton Lessor's Stadium Beyond the Stars about an earth boy off to the Space Olympics and making First Contact with aliens. Now I am reading Arthur C Clarke's enjoyable Islands in the Sky about a boy who wins a visit to a space station 500 miles above the earth. Lots of factual detail about space travel etc,but set in a story which would have intrigued young people back then. Pity we cant recapture the simple awe and excitement of those few years before space flight became reality,but the Winston series can give us a flavour of it.
Many thanks to Rhonda for this list!

Edited by dustydigger 2016-04-11 2:12 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)