open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself. -- Patrick Rothfuss (The Name of the Wind)
- (Added by: CyBorg)

Omnibusters 2015 Challenge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

DrNefario
Posted 2015-01-04 4:57 AM (#9136)
Subject: Omnibusters 2015 Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

A discussion thread for the Omnibusters 2015 reading challenge.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DrNefario
Posted 2015-03-03 7:19 AM (#9808 - in reply to #9136)
Subject: Re: Omnibusters 2015 Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

I've added reading levels to this challenge. There are now options for 4, 8 or 12 books.
Dlw28
Posted 2015-03-19 8:47 PM (#9913 - in reply to #9136)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Hi- can you define the difference (if any) between an omnibus and anthology? Or if a trilogy is printed up under one cover??
DrNefario
Posted 2015-03-20 8:41 AM (#9916 - in reply to #9136)
Quote Reply

Uber User

An omnibus is a collection of books, where an anthology is a collection of short(er) stories. That's how I'd define it. If a trilogy is printed under one cover I'd consider that an omnibus. LotR would be a bit of an edge case, since it was meant to be one book in the first place, but I think I'd still consider the single-volume edition as an omnibus of three books, just because I feel like that's the canonical edition.
Dlw28
Posted 2015-03-20 8:13 PM (#9923 - in reply to #9136)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Ok thanks! Google had several sites that seemed to differ in definition. So, for instance, I read the trilogy, the Faded Sun, grouped together in one volume. That works as an omnibus. Now I'm listening to Cherryh's Foreigner- the first of a 15 book series that is further divided into 5 sets of trilogies-each set more or less coming to a conclusion within the larger series. I'm doing an audiobook but I'm presuming if I 'read' books 1-3 it would qualify.

Who knew this could be so complicated!!
DrNefario
Posted 2015-03-21 3:18 AM (#9925 - in reply to #9136)
Quote Reply

Uber User

It would only be an omnibus if it was one volume (or, I guess, some sort of bundle package, in the case of audio) containing the first three Foreigner books. And each individual book would count. The thinking behind the challenge was simply that I had a lot of omnibuses I'd read parts of, and I wanted to encourage myself to read a bit more, and maybe finish some of them off. Tehanu finished my Earthsea Quartet paperback, and Winning Colors finished my Heris Serrano ebook, for instance. Yendi was only the second book of three in The Book of Jhereg.
Dlw28
Posted 2015-03-23 7:10 PM (#9928 - in reply to #9136)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Thank you for thinking this through with me. I'll be considering joining the challenge.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)