open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth." - Umberto Eco
- (Added by: Administrator)

Read Around the (SFF) World 2015 Challenge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Linguana
Posted 2015-01-04 4:07 PM (#9144)
Subject: Read Around the (SFF) World 2015 Challenge
Quote Reply

Hello everyone!

Here's the thread for the 2015 Read Around the (SFF) World Challenge.
Enjoy your literary travels, feel free to discuss whether certain books qualify or ask for recommendations in this thread. Also, let the other participants know when you've completed the challenge. Maybe you'll even tell us about the amazing places you visited throughout the year.

Happy reading!

Edited by Linguana 2015-01-04 4:08 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Linguana
Posted 2015-01-08 7:01 AM (#9214 - in reply to #9144)
Subject: RE: Read Around the (SFF) World 2015 Challenge
Quote Reply

Hey guys!

I found something quite neat:
A world map that links to fiction set in places all over the world. Most of them are not fantasy, science fiction, or horror but it's a nice little resource to have when travelling the world via ficiton. And who knows? There may be the occasional S/SF/H book in there.

Goodreads has a handy list of Asian Fantasy & Science Fiction. Here's another one one called Black Science Fiction and I'm sure some books are set in (alternate) Africa. The third list I found compiles Non-Western Speculative Fiction and looks to be a good source for our travel plans.

If I find any more useful links, I'll let you know.

Edited by Linguana 2015-01-08 7:04 AM
pizzakarin
Posted 2015-01-08 9:30 AM (#9216 - in reply to #9144)
Subject: Re: Read Around the (SFF) World 2015 Challenge
Quote Reply

Veteran

The Girl In the Road takes place in both India and Africa
DrNefario
Posted 2015-01-08 1:00 PM (#9219 - in reply to #9144)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Ian McDonald's Brasyl, River of Gods (India), and The Dervish House (Turkey) would be a good fit for this, too.
Linguana
Posted 2015-01-08 1:40 PM (#9222 - in reply to #9144)
Quote Reply

I'm currently reading The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson, which takes place in futuristic Brazil (and it's also really, really good).
Linguana
Posted 2015-02-01 4:48 AM (#9432 - in reply to #9144)
Quote Reply

Hey guys,

I edited our challenge so you can now adjust your reading goals. I just got out of bed so no creative titles for the reading levels. If you have ideas or suggestions, throw them my way and I'll edit them.
Administrator
Posted 2015-02-01 10:10 AM (#9441 - in reply to #9432)
Quote Reply

Admin

Linguana - 2015-02-01 4:48 AM Hey guys, I edited our challenge so you can now adjust your reading goals. I just got out of bed so no creative titles for the reading levels. If you have ideas or suggestions, throw them my way and I'll edit them.

How about:

Sightseer, Traveler, Wayfarer, Globetrotter

Linguana
Posted 2015-02-02 12:59 AM (#9462 - in reply to #9144)
Quote Reply

Awesome! I've updated our reading level titles. Thank you! That's exactly the kind of titles I was thinking of.
Administrator
Posted 2015-02-02 8:01 AM (#9468 - in reply to #9462)
Quote Reply

Admin

Linguana - 2015-02-02 12:59 AM Awesome! I've updated our reading level titles. Thank you! That's exactly the kind of titles I was thinking of.

Thesaurus.com comes in handy

dianazmartins
Posted 2015-02-03 10:56 AM (#9492 - in reply to #9144)
Quote Reply

New User

I have searched a lot and have come up with some interesting books for different parts of the World, but still nothing from India. Any good suggestions? Too bad I didnt see the suggestion for The Summer Prince here before. I did search for something set in Brazil (being Brazilian, that was a must for this challenge) and ended up picking Cradle of Splendour, but I was hugely disappointed by the book. On the other hand, I have just finished China Mountaing Zhang (picked for China, although parts of it are set in the US, part in the Arctic circle and part in Mars), was great!
Loved the level titles!
Rhondak101
Posted 2015-02-03 11:25 AM (#9493 - in reply to #9144)
Quote Reply

Uber User

India: Ian McDonald, River of Gods and Cyberabad Days. His Dervish House is set in Turkey.
dianazmartins
Posted 2015-02-03 11:52 AM (#9494 - in reply to #9144)
Quote Reply

New User

Thanks for the suggestions, River of Gods it is!
Administrator
Posted 2015-02-03 11:54 AM (#9495 - in reply to #9493)
Quote Reply

Admin

This one looks interesting:

The Calcutta Chromosome by Amitav Ghosh

From Victorian lndia to near-future New York, The Calcutta Chromosome takes readers on a wondrous journey through time as a computer programmer trapped in a mind-numbing job hits upon a curious item that will forever change his life. When Antar discovers the battered I.D. card of a long-lost acquaintance, he is suddenly drawn into a spellbinding adventure across centuries and around the globe, into the strange life of L. Murugan, a man obsessed with the medical history of malaria, and into a magnificently complex world where conspiracy hangs in the air like mosquitoes on a summer night.

Rhondak101
Posted 2015-02-03 12:42 PM (#9497 - in reply to #9144)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I read the Calcutta Chromosome a while ago. It is more medical thriller than SF even though it takes place in the future. I liked it, but it is one of those books that makes you wonder why it was nominated for SF awards.
Rhondak101
Posted 2015-02-03 12:43 PM (#9498 - in reply to #9494)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I recommend River of Gods. I read it after Dervish House, which I think is fantastic.
dianazmartins
Posted 2015-02-03 12:50 PM (#9501 - in reply to #9144)
Quote Reply

New User

The problem with these challenges is that when I start looking for a list of books for them, I end up with a TBR list much larger than the callenge itself... :-).
This book also looks very interesting, so it will go into my ever-expanding list of books to read after I finish reading the books I signed up for the challenges. And I have to stop looking at the challenter too, since they all sound interesting....
Administrator
Posted 2015-02-03 10:40 PM (#9507 - in reply to #9501)
Quote Reply

Admin

dianazmartins - 2015-02-03 12:50 PM The problem with these challenges is that when I start looking for a list of books for them, I end up with a TBR list much larger than the callenge itself... :-). This book also looks very interesting, so it will go into my ever-expanding list of books to read after I finish reading the books I signed up for the challenges. And I have to stop looking at the challenter too, since they all sound interesting....

The solution of course is to join the Clear the Shelves Reading Challenge too.

Linguana
Posted 2015-03-04 12:46 AM (#9818 - in reply to #9144)
Subject: RE: Read Around the (SFF) World 2015 Challenge
Quote Reply

If anybody wants me to adjust the Reading Levels, please let me know.
I left our highest reading level at a pretty low book count (10 at the moment) - if some of you are such successful world travelers or want to explore more that sf and fantasy has to offer, I can change that reading level to more books. The lower levels would remain the same (mostly for selfish reasons because I won't be able to read more than 10 books).

Thanks again for the reading level names and all your recommendations. My wishlist has grown exponentially. You know how it goes - books lead to books lead to books.
Rhondak101
Posted 2015-03-26 7:50 PM (#9940 - in reply to #9144)
Quote Reply

Uber User

After lurking for a little while, I finally joined this challenge at the Traveler level. I have given the challenge my own spin. Each text focuses on a particular mythology or folktale. The End of the Sentence is set in the Pacific Northwest and mixes Celtic myth, Scots folklore and Native American mythology. Scale Bright is based on Chinese mythology and is set in Hong Kong. Rusalka features figures of Russian mythology. The Burning Girls uses Jewish folklore and is set in Eastern Europe (I have forgotten where) and New York City. I don't know what I will do for the fifth one yet.
Rhonda
Linguana
Posted 2015-06-25 2:00 AM (#10863 - in reply to #9144)
Quote Reply

Welcome to all new world travellers!

I discovered another amazing book that qualifies for the challenge: Naomi Novik's Uprooted is secondary world fantasy, but it has distinctly Eastern European flavors. For myself, I filed it under "alternate Poland".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)