open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth." - Umberto Eco
- (Added by: Administrator)

What are you reading in May
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Badseedgirl
Posted 2015-05-01 11:03 AM (#10390)
Subject: What are you reading in May

Uber User

Well as we all know "May brings flowers", so as you are sitting around this month suffering the runny nose and watering eyes from pollen induced allergies, what will you be reading?

I will be finishing off:

The Man in the High Castle - P.K.Dick (Challenge read)
The Night Eternal - Last book in Guillermo Del Torro and Chuck Hogan's "The Strain" series
Night Watch - Sergei Lukyanenkd sup good urban fairy story set in modern day Russia

Will be reading:

Blood Red Road - Moira Young (challenge read)
First Lensman - E.E. "Doc" Smith (challenge read)
Beneath The Surface - John Hargrove (non-genre read) an expose of Seaworld from the former senior Orca trainer. I've had an interest ever since I saw the documentary "The Cove"
Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle (challenge read)

we shall se how far I get on this list, but this is the plan.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2015-05-01 2:17 PM (#10394 - in reply to #10390)
Subject: Re: What are you reading in May

Extreme Veteran

I had a bunch of library holds become available, so I have to read those before they're due:
The Dark Between the Stars (Hugo nominee and Space Opera challenge)
Coming Home (last book for the Reader's Choice Challenge)
Viper Wine (for the WoGF and 12in12 Challenges).

I picked The Enchanted (WoGF challenge) from the new in paperback shelf as well as Words of Radiance (sequel challenge). This one is 1300 pages! I may squeeze in The Martian Chronicles because I need to read four books for the Read It Again Challenge before July. And I have started a nonfiction book about orcas.

Edited by daxxh 2015-05-01 2:22 PM
justifiedsinner
Posted 2015-05-02 10:12 AM (#10410 - in reply to #10390)

Uber User

Looking to finish "Neptune's Brood". Not as good as Saturn's Children IMHO.
Rhondak101
Posted 2015-05-02 1:11 PM (#10416 - in reply to #10390)

Uber User

I will finish A Natural History of Dragons. I hope to read its first sequel as well. And then I'm going to focus on the hard backs that I have not read yet--Station Eleven and The Bone Clocks. After those, something for the Solar System challenge. (During and before all of this lots of end of semester papers and final exams--'tis the season).
bazhsw
Posted 2015-05-02 2:09 PM (#10419 - in reply to #10390)

Regular

I've got a couple to look forward to in May - I'll be the last person interested in SF to read Anciliary Justice, I have to be guarded against the weight of expectation as I'm expecting it to be brilliant! I've also got 'The Girl With All The Gifts' by M.R. Carey - I've been reading quite a lot of dystopia recently and I'm really looking forward to that one also.
pizzakarin
Posted 2015-05-02 3:06 PM (#10422 - in reply to #10390)

Veteran

Finish:

* Brasyl - the last of my really tough reads (that i know of) and my next to last book for the Choose Your Own Winner challenge (my last on on the list is another Robert J Sawyer book that I've been putting off becuase I hated the last two by him that I read)
* Phantasm Japan - Need to get down to reading this

Next up:

* Player Piano
* Rollback
* Seveneves
Badseedgirl
Posted 2015-05-02 5:43 PM (#10426 - in reply to #10419)

Uber User

bazhsw - 2015-05-02 2:09 PM

I've got a couple to look forward to in May - I'll be the last person interested in SF to read Anciliary Justice, I have to be guarded against the weight of expectation as I'm expecting it to be brilliant! I've also got 'The Girl With All The Gifts' by M.R. Carey - I've been reading quite a lot of dystopia recently and I'm really looking forward to that one also.

You will be quite happy to know that I have not only NOT read Ancillary Justice, but up until a couple months ago I was completely oblivious to its existence. Now of course it is on my reading list for the 12 in 12 challenge. Although I am a prolific reader, I have made it no secret in the past that I am not in any huge hurry to read the "Literature" of the genre (As anyone who has ever looked at my profile or reading stats would know!) But I am trying to do better, you know read more award winning and nominated books. This website has most assuredly helped on that point.
Bormgans
Posted 2015-05-03 3:54 AM (#10430 - in reply to #10426)

Regular

I just finished The Price Of Spring, the last book of The Long Price Quartet, which finally gives me some mental bandwidth to invest time in reading authors I haven't read yet.

Planning to read:
Babel-17
Stories of Your Life and Others

Maybe Range of Ghosts, if I get to that before June that is.
Scott Laz
Posted 2015-05-03 3:51 PM (#10435 - in reply to #10430)

Uber User

I also haven't gotten to Ancillary Justice yet! I know it's highly praised and popular, but most of the reviewers I'm usually in sync with have been much more lukewarm on it. Maybe this summer...

Just finished Tracker by C. J. Cherryh. I'm generally not a big fan of long series (this is number 16 in the Foreigner series), but I've been reading Cherryh since the mid-'70s and she (almost) never lets me down. Excellent stuff if you like political intrigue, and Cherryh has always been my favorite when it comes to portraying alien cultures.

One of my personal reading projects over the last few years has been reading through key runs of SF magazines (e.g., '50s F&SF and Galaxy, '60s If, late '30s - mid '40s Astounding and Unknown). They're like little time capsules of moments in SF history. Just finished the April '72 issue of Analog (I'm reading the Ben Bova-edited issues, which will involve re-reading if I get much further, since I read Analog regularly as a kid ('75-'80)). An okay issue, with an interesting Poul Anderson first contact story, and the first part of the serialization of Harry Harrison's "A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!"--an alternate history novel about the intrigue surrounding the construction of a London to New York tunnel in an alternate 1970s world where the U.S. had never achieved independence from Britain. Clever and fun so far, and I'm looking forward to finishing it along with the next two Analog issues. Looking at some of the online info about it, it's apparently considered to be a proto-steampunk novel, which makes sense.

Also currently reading/listening to The Claw of the Conciliator--book 2 of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, and should be finishing the quartet this month. I've long wanted to get to this, and so far it's living up to its massive reputation.

Upcoming:
Synners by Pat Cadigan
Rogue Moon by Algis Budrys
Northwest Smith by C. L. Moore
The Squares of the City by John Brunner
For Hugo consideration, The Three-Body Problem and The Goblin Emperor, and I'll try to get to Ann Leckie finally.
Weesam
Posted 2015-05-03 4:26 PM (#10436 - in reply to #10390)

Uber User

I would like to finish off some of the challenges this month, specifically the ones that I only have one or two books to read for. Which means I plan to read:

The Buried Life and The Water Room for the Detective SFF challenge
The Golden Age for the Listomania challenge
Calcutta Chromosome for the Read Around the World challenge
A Natural History of Dragons for the 2nd Best challenge
Luck in the Shadows for the Fantasy mini challenge

I would also like to complete the Reader's Choice challenge and I hope to read the remaining three books for this in May:
A Long Way to a Very Angry Planet
The People in the Trees
Viper Wine

And I just joined the Weirdness challenge and the Omnibusters challenge this month, so I hope to get off the mark on both these by reading:
The House on the Borderland
Helliconia Trilogy

Other than these 13, who knows what I will read in May. It is a mystery that will only become clear when we reach June.
dustydigger
Posted 2015-05-26 4:37 AM (#10623 - in reply to #10390)

Elite Veteran

Didnt see this thread,I am always in a rush these days. This was my TBR list for May

Robert Holdstock - Mythago Wood ✔
Ann Leckie - Ancillary Justice ✔
James Blish - A Case of Conscience ✔
Kurt Vonnegut - The Sirens of Titan
Eric Frank Russell - Wasp ✔
Andy Weir - The Martian ✔
Terry Pratchett - Moving Pictures ✔
Christopher Fowler - 77 Clocks ✔
Nalini Singh - Angels of Darkness
E E Doc Smith - Triplanetary ✔
E E Doc Smith - First Lensman ✔
E E Doc Smith - Galactic Patrol
Thea Harrison - Night's Honour
Deborah Harkness - Book of Life

I only have about 40 pages of the Vonnegut left,and will probably also finish the Thea Harrison book,but no hope of even starting the mighty tome of the Harkness book. As ever real life got in the way.Hospital appointments,a sudden shock death in the family,a casual text last week from my stepson saying the four of them are coming to visit on June 18th Aarrgghh! Never done more than the most basic of housework since my knee op 5 months ago,so cue headless chicken like behaviour to clean,rearrange the house for more beds,cooking for the freezer,unearthing all the visitor stuff packed away everywhere and all those myriad things that have to be done for visitors.. My clueless son carelessly said,why panic,all you have to do is add a few extra vegetables to the pan when cooking! If only! lol,
So quite a bit of my list left unfinished. Next month doubt if I will read more than half a dozen. Perhaps I'll look out some nice short old vintage SF,only a couple of hundred pages. Huh,that's barely the introduction in most modern books Have you SEEN the size of Peter F Hamilton's books lately?
Badseedgirl
Posted 2015-05-30 10:02 PM (#10661 - in reply to #10390)
Subject: RE: What are you reading in May

Uber User

With one day left I feel I can safely report my finished novels for May:

Finished:
The Illustrated Man - Challenge read
The Hobbit - Challenge read
Villa Triste - non-genre
First Lensman - Challenge read
Night Watch - Challenge read
Death of a Glutton - non-genre
Blood Red Road - challenge read
The Man in The High Castle - challenge read
The Night Eternal - Challenge read
The Call of The Farm - non-genre
Death of a Traveling Man - non-genre
Death of a Charming Man - Non-genre
Asylum - Madeleine Roux - just because

so I think I did pretty well this month.

Edited by Badseedgirl 2015-05-30 10:04 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)