open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I want to know why a fire glows, and why flame dust kills. I want my children or theirs...to know what makes this radio work,...and someday this rocket. I want to know much--more than I can learn, no doubt; but if I can start my people learning for themselves... -- Hal Clement (Mission of Gravity)
- (Added by: Scott Laz)

What are you reading in September 2015?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Badseedgirl
Posted 2015-09-01 8:50 AM (#11259)
Subject: What are you reading in September 2015?

Uber User

I am making that final push to finishing all my 2015 challenges this month. That does not mean I will finish them all this month but I am going to make the effort to take a big chunk of the out.

This months reading:

The City & The City - China Mieville - this novel is my "moby Dick" I have started it at least 3 times, and have yet to finish it. I don't know what is wrong with me, because I like the stry and I love a mystery, but I must have some kind of mental block about reading this one. Anyway I WILL finish it this month. I am over 1/2 done with it already. (for 12 in 12 and clear the shelves)
The Heart Shaped Box - Joe Hill - This young man is an excellent writer in his own right about 25% done with this one. (For 12 for 12 and clear the shelves)
The Electric Church - Jeff Somers ( for sub genre "Cyberpunk")
Speaker for the Dead - Orson Scott Card - this will finish off "read the sequel"

Other than that we shall see. I have some serious personal stuff going on at home, and I am falling behind in my "cozy" mystery challenge so I might focus the rest of the month on those. We shall see how I am feeling.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2015-09-01 3:50 PM (#11262 - in reply to #11259)
Subject: Re: What are you reading in September 2015?

Extreme Veteran

I didn't read that much in August since I've been taking advantage of the nice weather before the eternal rain starts. I hope I'll read more this month. I have already started

Powers - Ursula LeGuin
Floating Worlds - Cecilia Holland

I am not liking Floating Worlds much, so it may take me a while to get through it. I have already started and am waiting on library holds to finish

Seveneves - Neal Stephenson
Words of Radiance - Brandon Sanderson

Otherwise, I'd like to work on the Space Opera and Solar System Challenges this month. So, I may read Return to Mars, Deepsix, and The Prefect.
pizzakarin
Posted 2015-09-02 7:16 AM (#11263 - in reply to #11259)

Veteran

As usual I have overcommitted myself, but I'm learning to let go.

For the 50s challenge I'd like to finish:

* I Am Legend - we're reading this out loud at night (the baby doesn't understand it anyway) - 1954
* Of All Possible Worlds - 1955

I'm also reading A Princess of Mars on my Kindle, so I plan to finish that up.

For new books, I have:

* Europe at Midnight - I have an ARC of this one and I'm super excited to get to it
* Supersymmetry - loved Superposition and finished it just in time for the release of the sequel

I need to get something else off my list done, that'll probably be Changless for the subgenre challenge (I picked steampunk).

...and cat books. I'm not committing to finishing more than Catfantastic II this month, but would like to fit in The Green Millenium.

...and I'm currently listening to the audiobook of Clariel. Might as well throw in Elantris as another audiobook I'll probably get finished this month.
Administrator
Posted 2015-09-02 7:43 AM (#11264 - in reply to #11263)

Admin

I started The Temeraire Series a few days ago and I'm already done with book 4.  I picked up book one for my Women of Genre Fiction reading challenge and I can't seem to put them down.  I'm listening to the audio version on my commute and at work and at home and late into the night.  Love the mix of dragons and Napoleonic warfare and the narrator is excellent.  I plan to read the second half of the series this month though that really means in the next week at the pace I'm going.

After that I'm thinking about Time Machines Repaired While-U-Wait for the Keep Calm and Read SF from Down Under reading challenge then Coyote by Allen Steele for my 2015 Space Opera reading challenge.  I met Allen Steele at Worldcon and he was so charming I decided I'd have to read one of his books.

If I get through all of those it will be one hell of a good month for me.   

justifiedsinner
Posted 2015-09-02 10:35 AM (#11266 - in reply to #11259)

Uber User

Trying to read books from my TBR pile and finish some of the challenges that are close to completion. Just finished The Three-Body Problem (for the 12 in 12) , which was a big disappointment after all the Hugo fuss, The Goblin Emperor and Ancillary Sword were much better IMHO. Apart from the robotic dialogue, the large amounts of summarization and the two dimensional characters the physics, in what purports to be a hard science book, is crap. The author seems to have forgotten that the proton is a composite particle composed of gluons and that entangled particles (which can only come in pairs not sets of four) cannot communicate information faster than the speed of light.
Weesam
Posted 2015-09-03 3:14 AM (#11270 - in reply to #11259)

Uber User

Just bought a whole pile of books during the annual sale at my local bookshop.

Armada by Ernest Cline
Southern Gods by John Hornor Jacobs
The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard
Time Salvager by Wesley Chu
Do the Creepy Thing by Graham Joyce
The Seventh Miss Hatfield by Anna Caltabiano
The Red and The Trials by Linda Nagata
Camera Obscura by Lavie Tihar
Blood Oranges by Caitlin Kiernan
The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison
Lock In by John Scalzi
Forces From Beyond by Simon R Green

Lots of reading to do there. Plus some books about cats.

Edited by Weesam 2015-09-03 3:16 AM
DrNefario
Posted 2015-09-03 7:55 AM (#11271 - in reply to #11259)

Uber User

I'm sort of trying to catch up a bit on my non-RYO challenges, although there is some overlap.

I have a list of named authors I wanted to read this year, which I'm treating as a superset of the Read More of that Author challenge. I've just finished a (non-genre) Nevil Shute, I'm currently reading a Christopher Priest, and I'm hoping to get to Jo Walton and Graham Joyce soon.

I am also supposed to have been working on the BSFA award for a few years now. I set myself a target of 4 books for this year, and so far I've only read the newest winner, Ancillary Sword, which was kind of a freebie. Right now I am reading two winners simultaneously, The Separation by Christopher Priest (which handily doubles up as a Clarke winner) and The Moment of Eclipse by Brian Aldiss, the only collection to win the award before collections got their own category.

Those will make some good ground on my most needful RYO challenge, 12 Awards in 12 Months. I can't bring myself to drop to a lower level in that one since it mentions 12 right there in the title.

Also, since I've just read The Well of Ascension, I'd like to read the third Mistborn book without leaving it another 18 months. I've put off Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal for way too long, and would like to get it read soon. And I'd like to get my Hugo stats back to 100% with the new winner, The Three-Body Problem.

All that's subject to whim, except the two books I'm in the middle of.
valashain
Posted 2015-09-05 3:20 PM (#11274 - in reply to #11271)

Uber User

Just finshed Skin by Ilka Tampke (historical novel) and Dragon Heart by Cecelia Holland. Both ARCs. Working on reviews for both of them. Next up is probably Elizabeth Bear's Karen Memory.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2015-09-12 10:21 AM (#11307 - in reply to #11259)

Uber User

i just finished the Electric Church. I have decided to take a bit of a "Genre Holiday" for the rest of the month. I am going to read some of my other books, and see if I feel more of the love next month. I am still plugging away at Heart-Shaped Box, but feel in my current state, I will be unable to give it the attention and praise it deserves, so I am thinking of putting it aside and trying again next month.
Scott Laz
Posted 2015-09-14 4:11 PM (#11319 - in reply to #11307)

Uber User

Lately I've been working my way through the "defining SF" list, picking one pick I haven't read before for each year chronologically. I'm up to the '90s now, which is pretty wide open for me, as that was the period when I read the least SF. So far this month...

Bradley Denton: Buddy Holly Is Alive and Well on Ganymede ('91). Loved it! RAVE ON!
Neal Stephenson: Snow Crash ('92). Liked it. An uneven mix of action and exposition, but it does make me want to try more Stephenson (see below...)
Jeff Noon: Vurt ('93). This is my big discovery of the year so far. PKD would be proud. A new one for the "favorites" list. It's about drugs and virtual reality, or not...

Currently: Jonathan Lethem: Gun, with Occasional Music ('94). I'm a Lethem fan based on Motherless Brooklyn, Fortress of Solitude, and his nonfiction, and have been meaning to check out his earlier novels...

Coming up: Neal Stephenson: "The Diamond Age ('95) & Mary Doria Russell: The Sparrow ('96)

Also: the Michael Moorcock reading project continues with The Ice Schooner and The Black Corridor. Next on the "time travel via old SFF magazines" agenda is the February 1956 issue of Infinity Science Fiction (with Ellison, de Camp, Knight, Pohl, Kornbluth, and more!!!).

@Admin: I need to read Temeraire. It's a big favorite of my wife's, who's impatiently waiting for the final volume. Glad to hear you liked it.

Edited by Scott Laz 2015-09-14 4:14 PM
pauljames
Posted 2015-09-17 6:15 AM (#11332 - in reply to #11319)

Veteran

Just finished Gardens of the Moon. So much happened it is not easy to keep up with. Apparently I have only scratched the surface of the world that has been created. Really looking forward to reading more in the future.
valashain
Posted 2015-09-17 12:12 PM (#11333 - in reply to #11332)

Uber User

@pauljames: Deadhouse Gate is starting all over again on a different continent. Most people think it is much better than Gardens of the Moon.

I finished Karen Memory last night. Fun novel, not as heavy as the Eternal Sky books. I started Robin Hobb's Fool's Quest.
daxxh
Posted 2015-09-24 3:01 PM (#11383 - in reply to #11333)

Extreme Veteran

It's taking me forever to read Floating Worlds. Since I'm on page 400 something, I am determined to finish it, but it's really not that engaging. I was hoping by now that it would have gotten better, but no such luck. Anyone else read this?
justifiedsinner
Posted 2015-09-26 10:44 AM (#11391 - in reply to #11259)

Uber User

i read it many years ago and loved it at the time. I think it was the description of the different worlds that held me.
Administrator
Posted 2015-09-29 9:19 PM (#11397 - in reply to #11391)

Admin

I finished all 8 books in Naomi Novik's Temeraire series which means I've caught up to the author and have to wait for the final book.  No release date yet so I may be waiting a long time.  The cover art is out at least -- I'll take that as a good sign.  If you're looking for some kick ass dragons this series is a winner.

Next up is Time Machines Repaired While You Wait by K. A. Bedford for my Keep Calm and Read SF from Down Under Reading Challenge.  Only $2.99 on Kindle!  Schweet.

Scott Laz
Posted 2015-09-29 9:45 PM (#11398 - in reply to #11259)

Uber User

I preordered the next (and final) Temeraire book--League of Dragons--already. Amazon shows it arriving on May 10.
DrNefario
Posted 2015-09-30 6:03 AM (#11400 - in reply to #11259)

Uber User

I definitely saw a tweet that she'd finished writing it not long ago. I still have 7 & 8 to read, myself.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)