open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore." - Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
- (Added by: Administrator)

Isle of Destiny: A Great Read for St Patrick's Day
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

JohnBem
Posted 2016-03-16 7:53 PM (#13001)
Subject: Isle of Destiny: A Great Read for St Patrick's Day

Regular

Tomorrow is St Patrick's Day, which I will be celebrating in my usual fashion by starting off the day with a hearty Irish breakfast and a pint (or two) of Guinness. Thinking of St Patrick's Day reminds me of a great book I read in 2014 (from March 11 to April 12): Isle of Destiny by Kenneth C Flint. I read the book before I discovered WWE, so I didn't write a review of it and only general impressions of it remain in my cluttered mind. But those impressions are strong: of rich, vivid language and imagery evoking an almost otherworldly Ireland filled with brave warriors and heroic women and vast beauty and strange legends. The back cover describes the book thus: "Here, woven into a rich magical tapestry is the never-before-told story of ancient Ireland...a spellbinding tale of love and intrigue, lust and murder, rivalry and quest...of a time and a place long ago and far away that lives forever in our deepest fantasies." Back when I read it I gave the book a 5-star rating; I dole those out rather sparingly, so this is a truly remarkable book in my opinion. If you're looking for a Celtic-flavored read with which to celebrate St Patrick's day, I recommend Isle of Destiny (which is in the WWE database).
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)