open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The chef end of all human knowledge...is to convince us of our utter ignorance. -- Jules Verne (Off on a Comet!)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Searching my tags? & Display books I own but haven't read?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

Speculations Afoot
Posted 2016-08-30 1:25 PM (#14238)
Subject: Searching my tags? & Display books I own but haven't read?

New User

How do I search books based on tags "I" put on them?
Does the advanced search do it based on the books I personally tagged or does it find a group that are tagged on consensus?

Is there a way to display books I own but haven't read or is filling that info out only a reminder when you just happen to look a book up that you put that info on?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2016-08-31 9:03 AM (#14244 - in reply to #14238)
Subject: RE: Searching my tags? & Display books I own but haven't read?

Admin

Speculations Afoot - 2016-08-30 1:25 PM How do I search books based on tags "I" put on them? Does the advanced search do it based on the books I personally tagged or does it find a group that are tagged on consensus? Is there a way to display books I own but haven't read or is filling that info out only a reminder when you just happen to look a book up that you put that info on?

Hello Spec Afoot, welcome to WWEnd!

The advanced search is for the database overall -- not your particular tags -- though the sub-genre tags you put on the books are averaged with all the other tags from other members to determine the top 3 subs for each book.  Your personal tags are used to sort your books into your personal lists in My World.

We added the "I own this novel" checkbox some time ago for an eventual feature that has not come about yet.  Just as you suggested it will be a "Books I Own" list that you'll be able to filter for "books I own but haven't read".  Though the feature display isn't in yet we're still collecting the data for it so when we do get around to it your list will already be populated if you go ahead and check them off now.

We have a major project in the works now so I can't say when that will get done but rest assured you'll like the new stuff that's coming much more than that feature.

Speculations Afoot
Posted 2016-08-31 5:06 PM (#14248 - in reply to #14244)

New User

Your personal tags are used to sort your books into your personal lists in My World.

...and that's coming in the future? Currently I don't see a list view/functionality to filter that way.

We added the "I own this novel" checkbox some time ago for an eventual feature that has not come about yet. Just as you suggested it will be a "Books I Own" list that you'll be able to filter for "books I own but haven't read". Though the feature display isn't in yet

Yeah, I figured it just wasn't complete yet.

We have a major project in the works now so I can't say when that will get done but rest assured you'll like the new stuff that's coming much more than that feature.

Really? That's a rather bold assumption as I want the other pretty badly. I will just have to take your word for it and be excited for all that's coming, so we'll see.

I've manage to figure out a couple of the other questions I had in the meantime, like "addition requests" for books not in the database. It's good to know you can request stuff that's not all about winning an award or considered a classic by some well established body/institution or panel devoted to the genre. Those are great and all, but you know there has to be other gems out there waiting to be discovered/unearthed and recognized for what they are.

After messing around a bit with the site, I believe I'm beginning to take to it. I believe I'll hang around a while and see what kinds of
features are coming.

Mucho thanks!
Administrator
Posted 2016-09-01 8:49 AM (#14250 - in reply to #14248)

Admin

Speculations Afoot - 2016-08-31 5:06 PM
Your personal tags are used to sort your books into your personal lists in My World.

...and that's coming in the future? Currently I don't see a list view/functionality to filter that way.

I'm not sure I'm following you here.  When you tag a book as a read, reading, add to my reading list, as a favorite, or submit a review it populates your personal lists in your My World profile pages and updates your stats pages as well.  It also color codes your books all over the site so you can see which books you're already read for Hugo or Nebula etc. and updates your My Series page on the SF, F & H Series page in the Books section.

If what you mean is that you want to look at the Hugo list and filter it for just the Hugos you've read or haven't read already that's something that's coming later.

Speculations Afoot
Posted 2016-09-01 8:34 PM (#14257 - in reply to #14244)

New User

Ok, I got it now. By personal lists in that last part, you were talking about the "stats based" lists in My World and not
image display lists. I know WWE is working hard and can't do everything, but it would be nice to tag books how I want them tagged, especially for stuff I want to read. Where I can see them all together all of a sudden in a display by simply clicking on links for my tags in the My Profile area (or a separate list section for my tags).

For example, I agree with all the consensus tags for "A Clockwork Orange", but I would like to be able to use "psychological" as one of them. I don't like having most things psychological, social, etc. relegated to "soft SF". I'm ok with that term, and I don't need an explanation of what it means, I just don't like being restricted by it for all things that are typically put under the "soft SF" banner. It can be a bit too dismissive/efficient even if sometimes technically appropriate. I like using the actual social sciences terms or even others like "high literature" as a counter-complement to "hard SF". I understand, though. WWE can't do everything! ...just some thoughts.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)