open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "On the whole human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time." - George Orwell
- (Added by: Administrator)

A. E. van Vogt
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> AuthorsMessage format

Obexah
Posted 2017-02-14 10:56 PM (#15291)
Subject: A. E. van Vogt

New User

Van Vogt has become less visible compared to Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke and yet when I read his works they seem very fresh and appealing. I refer to his descriptions of interior life as the actions and reactions of a nervous system rather than using a more poetic hearts and minds model. He also succeeds at plausibly describing the thoughts and actions of super-intelligent characters, a problem faced by SFF writers describing AI significantly smarter than humans. He also deals with identity proliferation and swapping, depicting the low grade schizophrenia that French philosophers argue is the human response to capitalism and overwhelming amounts of information and opinions. I can see his flaws, the overuse of the hyphen when a comma would suffice, the absence of evolutionary principles when he projects human life 200 million years into the future, the absence of posthuman hardware augmentation of the body, the almost invisible presence of computers in his future society. Invisible computers and near magic technology may be explained by advanced computing but there is no such explanation in his books. But I can overlook those flaws and enjoy the books as depictions of philosophical ideas. I would be interested to hear other people's impressions of his writing.

Edited by Obexah 2017-02-14 10:57 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Scott Laz
Posted 2017-02-18 6:19 PM (#15311 - in reply to #15291)
Subject: Re: A. E. van Vogt

Uber User

I also think Van Vogt is due for reappraisal. His plotting can be odd and illogical, but the breakneck pace and sheer weirdness of developments can be exhilarating if you're willing to go with the flow. Your take on the philosophy underlying these stories is interesting. "Low grade schizophrenia" is a nice description of the feel of his work, but I don't think this feeling is intentional. (It could also apply to Philip K. Dick, who was influenced by Van Vogt.) I understand his own approach to writing/plotting was based on his conception of "non-Aristotelian logic", but I was never entirely clear on what that means...

He's definitely fallen out of favor, though during the early "Golden Age" of Astounding SF, his stories were right up there in popularity with Heinlein. I can remember being bowled over by some of his stories at a young age, but it's more difficult now to turn off my more critical thinking and revive that "sense of wonder." Maybe the appeal is somehow lost with maturity, both of readers and the SF field.

Edited by Scott Laz 2017-02-18 6:21 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)