open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Power attracts the corruptible. Suspect all who seek it." - Frank Herbert - Chapterhouse Dune
- (Added by: Administrator)

2018 Tor.com Free Short Fiction Reading Challenge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2018-01-03 12:00 AM (#16639)
Subject: 2018 Tor.com Free Short Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Admin

This one is just too much fun so we're doing it again.  Besides, Tor.com has lots of new FREE shorts every year.  I think we can do much better than last year's totals too so help spread the word!

Participants: 22
Books Read: 520
Books Reviewed: 85

Personally I did not do so well last year with any of my challenges so I'm hoping to do better this year.  I'm in on the Conjuror level for 24 shorts and I think I'll try to make a real effort to read one short every week.  If I can establish a routine then I may be able to bump up a level later in the year.  And of course I'm going to split 50/50 on guys and gals which will help me with my WoGF too.  Fingers crossed!

What's your plan?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
illegible_scribble
Posted 2018-01-04 7:46 AM (#16658 - in reply to #16639)
Subject: RE: 2018 Tor.com Free Short Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

I was wondering if we should make this a general Short Fiction Challenge this year, since there is now a bunch of short fiction on the site from other venues, such as Lightspeed, Clarkesworld, Strange Horizons, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Uncanny Magazine, Sci Fiction, Subterranean Press Magazine, etc.

I could put together a set of links to all the free fic publishers, if you're interested.

Edited by illegible_scribble 2018-01-04 7:52 AM
Administrator
Posted 2018-01-04 10:39 AM (#16659 - in reply to #16658)
Subject: RE: 2018 Tor.com Free Short Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Admin

illegible_scribble - 2018-01-04 7:46 AMI was wondering if we should make this a general Short Fiction Challenge this year, since there is now a bunch of short fiction on the site from other venues, such as Lightspeed, Clarkesworld, Strange Horizons, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Uncanny Magazine, Sci Fiction, Subterranean Press Magazine, etc.

I could put together a set of links to all the free fic publishers, if you're interested.

I did consider that but I like this as a Tor specific challenge.  There's certainly room for a Clarkesworld or Lightspeed challenge etc. as well or just a generic free short fiction challenge.

The only thing that has stopped me from making those other ones is that they don't generally have cover art to go with the stories so the display would be a sea of generic S covers without author or title to relieve the tedium.  That's not to say that it can't be done now but it would not look good at all and would be basically useless for seeing what other people are reading for their challenges.

My hope was to have the new site up and running by now which has a vastly improved display for short fiction that would make those reading challenges work much better.  But alas, real life keeps getting in the way.  When we do get that out to live I'll be making several new short fiction challenges.  Right now i'm biding my time and hoping we can have those going mid year which is a good time to stir the pot with a couple new challenges to offer.

valashain
Posted 2018-01-04 11:21 AM (#16660 - in reply to #16659)
Subject: Re: 2018 Tor.com Free Short Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Interestingly enough there has been no new short fiction on Tor.com for two months. The last one I had to add was in early November. Wonder what is going on there. Not that I need more short fiction to add mind you... :P
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)