open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "As is well known, all collectors are prepared to steal or murder if it is a question of getting another piece for their collection; but this does not lower their moral character in the least." Karel Capek, The War with the Newts
- (Added by: Rhondak101)

found gold today
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

kabelfritz
Posted 2018-02-19 11:46 AM (#16865)
Subject: found gold today

today the best thing happened to me.

before all: im a huge fan of reading in original language, and aside from english i read in my native language german. german science fiction is almost nonexistant.

so today i randomly went into this bookstore i know which is really good, but mostly for philosophy, while it usually lacks any science fiction. But also randomly they happened to have bought some rests of the rare, long-abandoned, high quality book series "suhrkamps phantastische bibliothek" which has lots of german (and also rest of the world) sci-fi and fantasy by not so well known but high quality authors, and sell it for almost nothing. went out with 10 rare Books for 50euros, awesome day

Edited by kabelfritz 2018-02-19 11:47 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Weesam
Posted 2018-02-22 2:35 AM (#16877 - in reply to #16865)
Subject: Re: found gold today

Uber User

Congratulations on your awesome day and excellent find.

There might not be much SF in German, but from what I have read in translation, there is some excellent stories. I wish I spoke German so I could read all of Andreas Eshbach's books. So far I have only found three of his works in English.
kabelfritz
Posted 2018-02-22 9:48 AM (#16878 - in reply to #16877)

Weesam - 2018-02-21 9:35 AM

Congratulations on your awesome day and excellent find.

There might not be much SF in German, but from what I have read in translation, there is some excellent stories. I wish I spoke German so I could read all of Andreas Eshbach's books. So far I have only found three of his works in English.

thx man! i personally dont think eschbach is that good, i read "quest" (a space opera) and didnt like it much.

best german writer is imo Herbert W. Franke who i actually consider one of the best worldwide. He writes kinda hard sf dystopia, his stories start like they were cheap and the writing style can seem really confusing in a bad way, but in the end when it all comes together he baffles his readers by leading them to the limits of human understanding like no one else ive read (need i mention i grabbed some of his works :D?). i can recommend "Zone Null" by him.

wolfgang jeschke is also not bad but more "fantasy in the Future" than "real" SF, with "midas" (cloning), "the cusanus game"and "The last day of creation" (both time Travel). frank sch?tzings "the swarm" (ecological catastrophy) is actually brilliant but has one really bad sequence when he tries to go hollywood too much :D. both are imo not quite on the level of the greater native english writers.

Edited by kabelfritz 2018-02-22 10:08 AM
Weesam
Posted 2018-02-22 12:57 PM (#16881 - in reply to #16878)

Uber User

Wolfgang Jeschke has been on my rader for a while, and The Cusanus Game is on my TBR pile. Given your recommendation I will move it up the pile. I also have Frank Schatzing's The Swarm on my list of books to read this year.

I haven't heard of Herbet Franke but given the recommendation I will see what I can find. I'll also see about getting those books in for you when I get home from work this evening.
kabelfritz
Posted 2018-02-22 2:14 PM (#16884 - in reply to #16881)

hey thx, its already been done. enjoy those books, cusanus game was my favourite by jeschke but also by far the longest, and it has episodes in the city i live in, that helped too :D. i saw you favorited "the forever war", so "the last day of creation" might be for you. i hope the translation is good.

Edited by kabelfritz 2018-02-22 2:19 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)