open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "War is a way of shattering to pieces, or pouring into the stratosphere, or sinking in the depths of the sea, materials which might otherwise be used to make the masses too comfortable, and hence, in the long run, too intelligent." - George Orwell
- (Added by: Administrator)

Sticky Unable to access site...now problems
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Report ErrorsMessage format

dalex
Posted 2019-04-25 11:19 AM (#20786)
Subject: Unable to access site...now problems

Veteran

I have been unable to access the site for several days.  (I kept getting a message that the server was not responding.)  I was finally able to log in today but a lot of my information is incorrect, almost like the pages were reset to like a couple months ago.  Books are not marked read, reviews are missing, books I removed from my reading list are back on the list, etc. 

Is this a known issue that is being addressed or do I need to try to fix everything?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2019-04-25 11:49 AM (#20787 - in reply to #20786)
Subject: Re: Unable to access site...now problems

Extreme Veteran

I have the same problem as dalex.
Administrator
Posted 2019-04-25 12:05 PM (#20788 - in reply to #20787)

Admin

Our host suffered a malware attack and had to shut down all their servers and move all clients to new machines etc. They used a backup of those sites and data to avoid moving the malware to the new machines.

Not sure what the next steps are but we're looking into it. For now I'd say stand by before you starts re-entering your data. We may be able to update the DB from our own backup. Chris is researching. Unfortunately there's not a ton we can do while we're at work so the solution may have to wait until we get home this evening.

More news as we have something to share. Thanks for your patience as we try to get back on our feet.

Administrator
Posted 2019-04-26 1:14 PM (#20789 - in reply to #20786)

Admin

So the site is back up again. Let me know what issues you find. I'm sure we're not out of the woods yet.
dalex
Posted 2019-04-26 1:20 PM (#20790 - in reply to #20789)

Veteran

Everything is still wrong as it was yesterday, like it reset to a couple months ago. Books are not marked read, reviews are missing, books I removed from my reading list are back on the list, etc.
Administrator
Posted 2019-04-26 2:54 PM (#20792 - in reply to #20790)

Admin

Yeah, it's a backup from mid March apparently. We will try to get a newer backup installed but it will take a while to get anything done as they are of course slammed with requests at the moment. Fingers crossed.
Naomi_uk72
Posted 2019-04-26 3:10 PM (#20793 - in reply to #20792)

Veteran

Comparing WWEnd with Goodreads it looks to me like I'm missing about two months of reading/reviewing progress - my profile here shows me still reading The Gutter Prayer which I finished and reviewed on 23 February. Have the hosting company given any indication of when/if the full restore will be completed?
GiantPanda
Posted 2019-04-26 3:16 PM (#20794 - in reply to #20786)

Agree with Naomi_uk72 as to the amount of missing data.
The last book on my page "Books I've read" was on Feb 21. The next would have been Feb 24.
Administrator
Posted 2019-04-26 3:26 PM (#20795 - in reply to #20793)

Admin

Not a lot of information coming from them at the moment. They’re still restoring other clients apparently. We’ve been trying to get answers but it’s just going to take time and patience. 
Administrator
Posted 2019-04-26 4:20 PM (#20796 - in reply to #20795)

Admin

A2 is apparently restoring service in phases so we're crossing our fingers that they'll come back round to us and we'll get more of our data back.

As of now I suggest we stand by for a few days to see what happens before we attempt to restore anything that could get overwritten with a more recent backup.

Administrator
Posted 2019-04-27 11:38 AM (#20798 - in reply to #20796)

Admin

At this time I’m not sure what’s going to happen but here is what we hope to be the case with the very limited info we have. 

The site has gone up and down several times since it first crashed so clearly they’re still struggling to fix things. We’ve seen data from 2 different backups at least so we know they have some options as to how far back they can go. This current version is from the third week of February. 

We know from what they’ve told us that they’re trying to bring their machines and clients back up in stages. We are hoping that they’ve picked a known good date before anyone’s data was compromised as the first reset and that they will come around in the next stage to update their clients to the most recent backup that is safe on a case by case basis.

We have had no indication that our site/data was actually a victim of the attack. It seems more likely that we got taken down, along with most everyone else, to stop the spread of the malware. If that is the case we shouldn’t lose a lot of data though I suspect we’ll lose at least a week’s worth at least since their backups are weekly. 

There’s a lot of speculation in that but that’s the best we have at the moment. A2’s not doing great in the communications department so all we can do is stand by while they sort things out.

I’m trying my best to be optimistic right now because I don’t like to suffer the worst case scenario until it becomes a fact. That is getting harder and harder as this goes on. I keep finding new ways in which we’re going to be royally screwed. It’s very frustrating and please believe me when I tell you that we feel your pain.

For right now we’re going to try and be patient as things work themselves out. We are trying to get more info and will pass along anything we can as soon as we can. Keep the faith friends. We’ll get through it one way or another.

illegible_scribble
Posted 2019-04-27 11:56 AM (#20800 - in reply to #20798)

Uber User

I've managed to recover all of the Book Request posts and Uber User posts from my deleted e-mail notifications going back to the beginning of March. 

Whatever we end up with, we'll be able to get things back to where we were as much as possible. My good thoughts go out to the Admin group as they deal with this sad and frustrating situation.

Edited by illegible_scribble 2019-04-27 11:59 AM
Rhondak101
Posted 2019-04-27 2:07 PM (#20802 - in reply to #20786)

Uber User

Dave, Everyone,
I know waiting is the hardest part. Yay for Illegible_scribble's email. Once we know where we are, maybe Illegible_scribble can build a google doc with the missing info and we can crowd source the reentry. I am fairly certain that I still have the covers and author photos for my recent entries for the Crawford Award and some user requests, so those will not be as time consuming to reenter. Hang in there.
Rhonda
Weesam
Posted 2019-04-27 5:26 PM (#20803 - in reply to #20802)

Uber User

I'm just happy I have finally been able to get onto the site today. I missed it so much. Happy to help with re-entry of whatever is needed when the time comes, and happy to wait until you give the word before doing anything else. I feel for you guys, Dave. Hope you hadn't done too much programming work that will be lost.
dalex
Posted 2019-04-28 5:11 AM (#20805 - in reply to #20803)

Veteran

O no, what a horrible situation! I hope they are able to get things fixed properly. I cannot imagine how much work it will be for the admins and ubers if the whole site stays permanently reset to two months ago.
dustydigger
Posted 2019-04-28 11:51 AM (#20809 - in reply to #20805)

Elite Veteran

Oh dear,I wished I had read these posts first before doing a major update - from February - of my Pick N Mix .Nearly had a heart attack 10 mins ago when I checked out my challenges,and had supposedly read only 10 books,instead of around 26 or more. I had just thought I hadn't updated for a while. Since I post on several sites,and often just copy and paste to save work,I just assumed I hadn't updated this particular site ..Oh well,eventually - hopefully - it will all be duplicated,no big deal. But thank goodness I have other sites to act as backups. Nightmare if it was the only site.
gallyangel
Posted 2019-04-30 2:24 AM (#20812 - in reply to #20809)

Uber User

So, any idea when the recovery process might be complete, so we can then move on to reentering everything that has been lost? Or are we still in a holding pattern?
Administrator
Posted 2019-04-30 2:43 AM (#20813 - in reply to #20812)

Admin

gallyangel - 2019-04-30 2:24 AM So, any idea when the recovery process might be complete, so we can then move on to reentering everything that has been lost? Or are we still in a holding pattern?

Still holding at the moment. We put up a temporary info page late last night here:  http://www.worldswithoutend.com/notice.asp  and added a link in the sidebar.

We have a backup from March 31st that will be going up soon and we'll let everyone know here in this thread when that is complete. Fingers crossed.

rretzler
Posted 2019-05-01 11:33 AM (#20815 - in reply to #20813)

I've been through a virus taking down a server at a small company and the backup not being reliable, even though it was tested weekly. It is a horrible situation and I hate that anyone has to go through anything similar. We eventually got through it, restoring what we could and recreating what we had to. It's a process. Hang in there - you guys are doing a great job!
Administrator
Posted 2019-05-01 9:22 PM (#20816 - in reply to #20815)

Admin

rretzler - 2019-05-01 11:33 AM I've been through a virus taking down a server at a small company and the backup not being reliable, even though it was tested weekly. It is a horrible situation and I hate that anyone has to go through anything similar. We eventually got through it, restoring what we could and recreating what we had to. It's a process. Hang in there - you guys are doing a great job!

Thanks for the kind words. It’s a horrible mess for sure and the site keeps going down which adds more uncertainty to the process. We’ve got to get away from this dumpster fire so we can rebuild. 

cynesthesia
Posted 2019-05-04 1:51 PM (#20817 - in reply to #20786)

New User

Simply, good wishes to you all on dealing with the aftermath. I'm not always aware how much I value this site until there's a problem, so thanks.
Adele1967
Posted 2019-05-08 7:49 AM (#20818 - in reply to #20817)

Is it safe to re-enter all our BookTrackr info? or is the still a possibility of a more recent back-up?
Administrator
Posted 2019-05-08 8:42 AM (#20819 - in reply to #20818)

Admin

Adele1967 - 2019-05-08 7:49 AMIs it safe to re-enter all our BookTrackr info? or is the still a possibility of a more recent back-up?
We are still struggling to get the site moved to a new host. A2 has gone to drek completely and we can?t get the support we need. I imagine most of their clients are also trying to move away which would is why we get automated responses instead of actual support help. We have found a new host and are trying to move but we have no way to estimate when we can accomplish that. We?re still in standby mode and I would caution everyone to wait a bIt longer. Lame, I know.
gallyangel
Posted 2019-05-21 11:16 PM (#20827 - in reply to #20819)

Uber User

Since it's been almost 2 weeks since your last post, I wondered if you had an update for us. I know my to-be-added list is growing.

Edited by gallyangel 2019-05-21 11:17 PM
Thomcat
Posted 2019-05-22 12:59 PM (#20828 - in reply to #20827)

I was about to post the same question, but adding it's been a month since the original failure.

Hoping things are going well at WWE HQ!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)