open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Indecision may or may not be my problem." - Jimmy Buffett
- (Added by: Administrator)

What are we reading in April?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2020-04-01 4:37 AM (#21941)
Subject: What are we reading in April?

Elite Veteran

Robert McCammon - [Boy's Life]
Lois McMaster Bujold - [Winterfair Gifts]
Lois McMaster Bujold - [Flowers of Vashnoi]
Donald Wollheim - [Secrets of Saturn's Rings]
Mark Philips - [Brain Twister]
Lin Carter - [Journey to the Underground World]
Philip Wylie - [When Worlds Collide]
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2020-04-01 2:55 PM (#21942 - in reply to #21941)
Subject: Re: What are we reading in April?

Extreme Veteran

I am reading Andre Norton's Sargasso of Space right now. It is quite fun. I also have the sequel Plague Ship and Gareth Powell's Light of Impossible Stars to read. My challenge lists have been greatly impacted by my library being closed, so who knows what I might find in my bookcases to read next.
spoltz
Posted 2020-04-04 4:10 AM (#21948 - in reply to #21941)

Uber User

I started off April with Falling to Earth by Elizabeth Brownrigg, a cute story about the guardian angel of a lesbian technical writer who wants her ghost write some stories for her. It's sort of meta in that there are short stories within this short novel that have to do with the main story itself. I read this in a day on a work day when all I had to do was check email.
I started The Broken Kingdoms by NK Jemisin, book 2 in her Inheritance Trilogy. I haven't gotten far yet because since the last book, I've been inundated with work. I hope to finish the trilogy this month.
Administrator
Posted 2020-04-08 12:15 AM (#21952 - in reply to #21948)

Admin

I just started Ammonite by Nicola Griffith for WoGF and as my first read for the COVID-19 RC. I'm listening to the audio and so far so good. The narrator is excellent so I have high hopes.

spoltz
Posted 2020-04-13 4:45 PM (#21966 - in reply to #21952)

Uber User

I've read:
The Carhullan Army - Sarah Hall - A dystopian future novel about a woman who escapes her unbearable life for a somewhat dystopian women's commune. I liked it a lot.
Bending the Landscape: Fantasy - Nichola Griffith, Stephen Pagel, eds. - awesome anthology of gay and lesbian fantasy fiction.
Mainline - Deborah Christian - cyberpunk novel about an assassin who can see different timelines emanating from the present. Cyberpunk isn't really my cup of tea. Great ideas, but the jargon and the myriad of characters really got out of control for me.
The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury - sort of an ad hoc book club selection, to tide us over until we read our original April selection, which has been postponed until the bookstore we meet at reopens. It's my third read and I just love it.
dustydigger
Posted 2020-04-19 4:39 PM (#21977 - in reply to #21966)

Elite Veteran

Steve,I too love the Martian Chronicles,though I still prefer the English title,The Silver Locusts. My copy is really old,from the 70s I think,and the pages have gone brown,the glue is cracking and I dare hardly turn the pages!
i am reading very little this month,as Mr Dusty is in the room all the time because of the lockdown,and has the TV on all day Grrrh!
I did do a couple of comfort reads,a couple of Lois McMaster Bujold novellas,and am part way through a couple of books but I find it impossible to concentrate. Too busy trying to construct some sort of meals from the pathetic stuff left in my cupboards and freezer.Not much left after a month!
spoltz
Posted 2020-04-19 7:56 PM (#21978 - in reply to #21977)

Uber User

Hey Dusty, I got a used copy of the Martian Chronicles, so it's from the 70s as well.

As for the lockdown, I only get out to go to the grocery store, myself. But I have a huge TBR pile between my bookshelves and my kindle to keep me busy. I don't keep the TV on much except at evening news time. I've been working from home, so I've trained myself to not put the TV on. And when there's not a lot of work, that's when I read.
However, if I had netflix, I would be watching movies and series all day. That would be my downfall.

Take care of yourself!
daxxh
Posted 2020-04-21 2:56 PM (#21986 - in reply to #21978)

Extreme Veteran

I bought a copy of The Martian Chronicles in the 70s from the Science Fiction Book Club because I loved it when I first read it and wanted my own copy. I read it for the third time a year or so ago for one of the challenges. It is one of my favorites.

I just finished The Grey Horse by RA MacAvoy. I pretty much like anything horsey and this was a bit of horsey Irish folklore. I recommend this for anyone who wants to read a well written tale. I also read Plague Ship and Voodoo Planet which are both in the Solar Queen series by Andre Norton - quite fun, and The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion by Margaret Killjoy - ok. I am now rereading The Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton. I first read this in junior high and have definitely forgotten a lot of the story.
spoltz
Posted 2020-04-22 4:34 AM (#21990 - in reply to #21986)

Uber User

Hey daxxh, with the Plague Ship and The Andromeda Strain, I can guess that you're in the COVID-19 Challenge. I tried to get our book club's ad hoc online group to read Strain, but they opted for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I've never read Strain, only seen the film. Let us know how the reread goes.
spoltz
Posted 2020-04-23 9:46 PM (#21996 - in reply to #21990)

Uber User

I've read:
The Callahan Touch - Spider Robinson - Really liked it. Sort of like a sci fi/fantasy "Cheers". My first Spider Robinson.
Destroying Angel - Richard Paul Russo - OK novel about a cyborg serial killer
Flesh and Gold - Phyllis Gotlieb - Didn't care for it. Very convoluted plot

Right now, I'm reading Dark Water's Embrace by Stephen Leigh which I'm really liking so far. It's about a planet with an extinct ancient civilization that had hermaphrodites as the third sex. And in the present, in a small flagging colony from Earth, a scientist realizes she's a hermaphrodite and the cruelty she endures from the rest of the colony.
daxxh
Posted 2020-04-26 11:27 PM (#22000 - in reply to #21996)

Extreme Veteran

I finished my reread of The Andromeda Strain. I definitely forgot a lot, but I can see why 12 year old me liked it. The main characters were scientists! And, there was a lot of technology in the book. I am now a scientist and I have used the current versions of some of that technology. The book is a bit dated in that respect.

I also read a third novelette in the Forward Collection - Ark by Veronica Roth. So far, I like Blake Crouch's Summer Frost the best. I have downloaded the remaining three to read later. I recommend this series and hope more stories are added to it.
spoltz
Posted 2020-04-30 6:42 PM (#22005 - in reply to #22000)

Uber User

Thanks for the update on Andromeda Strain daxxh!

I finished Dark Water's Embrace. It was excellent. I really loved it. It packed quite an emotional punch for me. I also read:
Carnival - Elizabeth Bear - Not her best. The intrigue was really convoluted. But the world building was great.
Return to Isis - Jean Stewart - Another lesbian utopia novel from the early 90s. It was okay, but it must have made quite an impact when it first was published because there were four sequels in the series.

Right now I'm reading The Ordinary by Jim Grimsley. It's not as good as Kirith Kirin. I'm bogged down in the middle of it. I keep falling asleep while reading it. Lots of description and mood, but very little is happening.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)