open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales. - Albert Einstein
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

Our reads in May 2020
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2020-05-01 5:18 AM (#22009)
Subject: Our reads in May 2020

Elite Veteran

All my reads this month were started last month and I was too distracted for reading. A nephew had Covid 19 lately but recovered lbutan ex neighbour died of it 2 weeks ago,and my brother in law died two days ago. The local hospital 5 miles away.has had over 2000 cases,and over 200 have died. Reading is taking a back seat. So this month I will be completing books from last month starting with Philip Wylie's Where Worlds Collide.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2020-05-01 2:28 PM (#22010 - in reply to #22009)
Subject: Re: Our reads in May 2020

Extreme Veteran

My condolences to you, Dusty, on your losses.
daxxh
Posted 2020-05-01 2:29 PM (#22011 - in reply to #22009)

Extreme Veteran

At the moment, I am reading Birthright: The Book of Man by Mike Resnick. I also have A Wind in Cairo, Light of Impossible Stars and Bone Silence to read. I have downloaded the remaining three novelettes in the Forward Collection and hope to finish those as well.

Edited by daxxh 2020-05-01 2:34 PM
spoltz
Posted 2020-05-07 4:59 AM (#22022 - in reply to #22011)

Uber User

My condolences, Dusty. Please take care.
spoltz
Posted 2020-05-07 5:09 AM (#22023 - in reply to #22009)

Uber User

I finished The Ordinary by Jim Grimsely - meh. Great prose, but it overtakes the all other aspects of the book.
I also read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne - A little disappointed. The form and style is definitely dated. But I'm glad I read it.
Firelands - Michael Jensen - Really enjoyed this story about a wendigo in 1799 American frontier.
Zeta Base - Judith Alguire - Terrible book. Bad science, bad writing, I can't believe it was nominated for a Lambda Literary Award. I'll be taking it off the LGBTQ Spec Fiction Resource list the next time I do updates to it.

I have a feeling I'll be going back to working at work (as opposed to from home) around May 18th, so my reading probably will slow down substantially.
finminer
Posted 2020-05-20 8:52 AM (#22048 - in reply to #22023)

Regular

In the last month, I've finished The Broken Earth trilogy with The Obelisk Gate and The Stone Sky; a satisfying conclusion to the series. I've also been working on completing the entire Vorkosigan saga this year; read Memory & Komarr to put me about 2/3 through. Working on the next book, A Civil Campaign, now. Also:
The Light Brigade by Kameron Hurley - a bit of a jumbled mess
Man Plus, classic Frederik Pohl
Bellwether, a quick whimsical read by Connie Willis
The City We Became by NK Jemisin; solid semi-horror story, look for it on Hugo/Nebula lists next year
The Postman, another classic, quick read from David Brin
The Periodic Table by Primo Levi, non-fiction semi-biographical from a Holocaust survivor (though not much on the Holocaust itself)

Also working on A Deepness in the Sky and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell on my journey of completing the remainder of the Hugo/Nebula winners. Topping that off with Mira Grant's Deadline, which is a easy to read respite from the other two.
spoltz
Posted 2020-05-28 4:17 AM (#22067 - in reply to #22048)

Uber User

I'm still working from home, so I read a total of 15 books this month, and I'll probably finish a 16th by Sunday. That's too many to list here. I'll just give a few that were notable:
The Song of the Earth - Hugh Nissenson - I gave it five stars. It combines art with journal entries, interviews and correspondence to give you the biography of a genetically engineered manual (as opposed to digital) artist who's murdered at the age of 19.
The Dark Beyond the Stars - Frank M. Robinson - also 5 stars. A space opera about a generations ship and a mutiny. The style reminded me of some of the pop best sellers I read in the 70s, which may not be surprising because he cowrote The Glass Inferno, which The Towering Inferno was based on.
Bending the Landscape: Science Fiction - Nicola Griffith, Stephen Pagel, eds. Excellent collection of gay and lesbian sci fi short stories. Part of a 3 volume series, the other two being Fantasy and Horror.
Salt Fish Girl - Larissa Lei - Engaging tale of science fiction and magical realism about a girl in future, corporate owned Canada who smells like durian fruit (which isn't a good thing) and a parallel story of an immortal girl in ancient China who falls in love with the daughter of a salt fish vendor. The ending is a little abrupt but the general story telling style is just wonderful
Zeta Base - Judith Alguire - 1 star - a really terrible lesbian space opera. Stay away.

The big achievement: I'm just over twenty books away from reading and reviewing all the books on the LGBTQ Speculative Fiction Resource List. I hope to be done with it by the end of the year. I think next year's challenge will be finishing off the Nebula Awards winners. I only have about 16 more on that list to go.
daxxh
Posted 2020-05-30 2:07 PM (#22077 - in reply to #22067)

Extreme Veteran

I finished all the stories in the Forward Collection. They were all decent. I liked Summer Frost by Blake Crouch the best. I also read Departure by A.G. Riddle. It was ok. I am currently reading Revival by Stephen King and Light of Impossible Stars by Gareth Powell. I am liking the latter better than the first two in the series (I liked them both). Off to watch the SpaceX launch!

Edited by daxxh 2020-05-30 2:10 PM
dustydigger
Posted 2020-06-01 4:53 AM (#22082 - in reply to #22077)

Elite Veteran

I actually finished a book! It took 3 weeks but When Worlds Collide was very enjoyable. If thats the right word for a book about the total destruction of earth when two wandering planet come and destroy the moon and then the earth. Very dated,clunky stilted dialogue,and quite laden with musings on ethics,morality,religion and the purpose of man,but the descriptions of the earth's last days as men build spaceships to leave amid the destruction were quite exciting.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)