open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "As long as I'm dealing in honesty, I may as well admit that I have been more influenced (as a person) by my childhood readings of Tolkien and Lewis than I have been by any philosophers I read in college and grad school. The events and characters in Narnia and Middle Earth shaped my ideals, my dreams, my goals. Kant just annoyed me." - N.D. Wilson
- (Added by: Administrator)

next best fantasy series after LOTR
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

sacaric
Posted 2020-09-04 9:12 PM (#22418)
Subject: next best fantasy series after LOTR

What are the best fantasy series that are similar in nature to LOTR. I have tried a few Eragon, Wheel of Time, Forgotten Realms, all of which seem to pale by comparison. Am I missing something?

thanks for any replies,
Scott
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2020-09-05 2:19 AM (#22420 - in reply to #22418)
Subject: Re: next best fantasy series after LOTR

Extreme Veteran

Try Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives. I really like them so far.
gallyangel
Posted 2020-09-06 3:32 AM (#22421 - in reply to #22420)

Uber User

First Impression: if you haven't read ALL of Tolkien, do that. It should keep you busy for awhile.
Second Impression: Be careful what you ask for. Most people who talk about fantasy might say something like: there was what fantasy was before Tolkien, then their was Tolkien, and then their was what fantasy now is, post-Tolkien since he changed everything. And the three examples you mentioned are all post-Tolkien works, building on what Tolkien did to fantasy.
Third Impression: Just as Shakespeare is called the Everest of English Lit., Tolkien is the Everest of Fantasy. So naturally, things that are written in a similar vein in Fantasy ARE pale in comparison.
Fourth Impassion: Reread, or do the wonderful audio version by record books' Robert Engless (SP?). And look up the Tolkien Professor, Corey Olsen, and go through his audio workshop class on LOTR or the Hobbit (or both), and be amazed by what you missed, or what things didn't connect the first or fifth time through.
gallyangel
Posted 2020-09-06 3:36 AM (#22422 - in reply to #22418)

Uber User

And just remember that Clarke's Strange & Norell, Harry Potter, Tolkien, Narnia, or even Wind in the Willows are all bleeping good English Fantasy. They're just all different.
sacaric
Posted 2020-09-06 9:45 AM (#22423 - in reply to #22421)

I have just recently heard about the Tolkein professor and that does look interesting. Your response makes me wonder how one man (Tolkein in fantasy and Shakespeare in literature) can produce works so good that no one else in history can equal them. Either the premise is wrong or it is a great anomaly.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)