open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "On the whole human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time." - George Orwell
- (Added by: Administrator)

Lambda Literary Award for Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

tokyoadam
Posted 2020-10-28 5:02 PM (#22553)
Subject: Lambda Literary Award for Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror

I was wondering if it would be possible to add the Lambda Literary Award for Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror as an award category (see https://www.lambdaliterary.org/awards). The WWE site has a great list in place for LGBTQ books now - An LGBTQ SF Resource - but recognizing the award winners and nominees would also be a good thing.

If it is a matter of limited resources, I am happy to help with data collection / input if desired.

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2020-10-28 11:06 PM (#22554 - in reply to #22553)
Subject: RE: Lambda Literary Award for Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror

Admin

tokyoadam - 2020-10-28 5:02 PM I was wondering if it would be possible to add the Lambda Literary Award for Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror as an award category (see https://www.lambdaliterary.org/awards). The WWE site has a great list in place for LGBTQ books now - An LGBTQ SF Resource - but recognizing the award winners and nominees would also be a good thing. If it is a matter of limited resources, I am happy to help with data collection / input if desired. Thanks!

We made an attempt to put the Lambda on the site but as we got more of the books added we realized that the majority of the books were erotica with a thin veneer of SF over the top. Erotica is not something we cover here so we immediately removed those books and authors from the DB and embarked on creating our own list. That is how the LGBTQ list came about. In fact, we cherry picked the legit SF books from the Lambda as the starting point for the award and spoltz took it from there to curate the rest of the list.

It was a frustrating experience but out of that came the LGBTQ list which we are quite proud of. Sorry if that's not the answer you were hoping for. Thanks for your offer to help with the data. Perhaps we can find another worthy award or list to consider?

Administrator
Posted 2020-10-28 11:19 PM (#22555 - in reply to #22554)

Admin

I forgot to mention that on the LGBTQ list page spoltz talks about the Lambda and Gaylactic Spectrum awards. Click the gray tab at the top of the list that says "About the LGBTQ SF Resource". Thanks!
tokyoadam
Posted 2020-10-29 12:33 PM (#22560 - in reply to #22555)

Thanks for the response. I did not know the list was that heavy on erotica (especially as there is already a Lambda award for erotica).

The one other award I am aware of that would be a helpful inclusion is the Nommo, but that award is still pretty new (I think they only started in 2017).

Cheers.
Administrator
Posted 2020-10-29 1:22 PM (#22562 - in reply to #22560)

Admin

tokyoadam - 2020-10-29 12:33 PM Thanks for the response. I did not know the list was that heavy on erotica (especially as there is already a Lambda award for erotica). The one other award I am aware of that would be a helpful inclusion is the Nommo, but that award is still pretty new (I think they only started in 2017). Cheers.

The Nommo is already on our list to add to the site. It's only been around a few years but it will be an exciting addition.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)