open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Conformity and rebellion...both ways are simple-minded--they are only for people who cannot cope with contradiction and ambiguity." - Neal Stephenson - The Diamond Age
- (Added by: Administrator)

Our reads in February 2021
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2021-01-31 4:04 PM (#22890)
Subject: Our reads in February 2021

Elite Veteran

Another month,another pile of books.
What are your reading plans for February?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2021-01-31 4:06 PM (#22891 - in reply to #22890)
Subject: Re: Our reads in February 2021

Elite Veteran

Dusty's TBR for February

Jack Vance - The Face
Christopher Priest - The Inverted World
Edgar Rice Burroughs - Synthetic Men of Mars
Olaf Stapledon - Last and First Men
Michael G Coney - Brontomek
Cordwainer Smith -Game of Rat and Dragon
Douglas Adams - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

daxxh
Posted 2021-01-31 8:59 PM (#22893 - in reply to #22891)

Extreme Veteran

The Soldier - Neal Asher
Otaku - Chris Kluwe
Postmarked the Stars - Andre Norton

Maybe Caine's Mutiny -Charles Gannon
Whatever Library holds come in and whatever I grab off of the giant TBR pile that are my bookshelves.
spoltz
Posted 2021-02-02 12:37 PM (#22896 - in reply to #22890)

Uber User

The Healer's War - Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
Man Plus - Frederik Pohl
Falling Free - Lois McMaster Bujold

I read Dark Matter by Blake Crouch for my book club in exile. It had quite a few, but I still enjoyed it. It was a really fast read. I started it on the 31st and finished on the 1st.
daxxh
Posted 2021-02-13 1:57 PM (#22913 - in reply to #22896)

Extreme Veteran

Snowed in! I read The Soldier so I had to get The Warship (downloaded since I can't really go anywhere) to read. Read Fauna by Christiane Vadnais which is a loosely related set of short stories set in an Earth suffering from the effects of climate change. Well written and a bit strange. Also read Postmarked the Stars, fourth book in Andre Norton's Solar Queen series. These books were fun. Not sure if I will read the rest as this is the last one she wrote solo. Maybe, if I can find them, I will at a later date. I have the second Picard book, The Crystal Cave and Caine's Mutiny to read as well. As I live in the land of few to no snow plows, I maybe stuck at home for a few days, so I have plenty of time to read.
spoltz
Posted 2021-02-14 10:21 PM (#22920 - in reply to #22890)

Uber User

I read:
- Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold which I gave 3 stars out of five
- The Healer's War by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, 4 stars
- Man Plus by Frederik Pohl, 4 stars
- The Falling Woman by Pat Murphy, 5 stars. I loved this book about archeology, Mayan mythology and gods, and a mother daughter relationship. Beautiful prose.
- Moving Mars by Greg Bear, 4 stars.
I read the last two in the last three days. I've been snow and iced in as well since Thursday night here in the Portland metro area. These five books were all Nebula winners. That only leaves me The Einstein Intersection by Samuel R Delaney to complete my goal of reading all the Nebula winners. I have a hard copy on hold in one library, and the e-book on hold in the neighboring county. We'll see which one comes in first :-)
Next up, I'm starting the second 5 books of Roger Zelazny's Amber Chronicles. It follows Corwin's son Merlin. I'm only about 30 pages into The Trumps of Doom and the style is different than the first five, but I'm into it so far.
dustydigger
Posted 2021-02-22 4:34 AM (#22933 - in reply to #22890)

Elite Veteran

Finished
Michael G Coney - Brontomek - so-so tale about a megacorporation pressuring a colony on a beautiful planet to put everything in their devious nefarious hands. Alien shapeshifters,huge robotic harvesting machines that run amok and jump off a cliff like lemmings,and a lot of factions among the locals as to how to fight back.
ERB - Synthetic Men of Mars. Still lots of invention,but the last few books in the series had really interchangeable boneheaded protagonists.
Jack Vance - The Face. Book #4 in a series about a man whose family were massacred by space pirates when he was a child. He has spent years slowly finding the five who had disbanded and assumed new identities

spoltz
Posted 2021-02-25 11:25 PM (#22936 - in reply to #22933)

Uber User

I've finished the second five books in the Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny:
Trumps of Doom - 4 stars
Blood of Amber - 3 stars
Sign of Chaos - 4 stars
Knight of Shadows - 3 stars
Prince of Chaos - 3 stars
The books were uneven, as my ratings indicate, but overall I really liked the series.

I also read Samuel R Delany's The Einstein Intersection, which I gave 3 stars. It was a pretty complicated book based on the Orpheus and Eurydice myth and also about myth. I like Delany a lot, but this wasn't one of my favorites. Finishing this, I've now completed all the Nebulas and Hugos (well, actually, I haven't read last year's Hugo winner yet. That one's coming up soon), a feat which took about 8 years.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)