open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life." - Terry Pratchett
- (Added by: Administrator)

NPR Top 50 Sci Fi and Fantasy of the Past Decade
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Adele1967
Posted 2021-10-17 12:07 PM (#23480)
Subject: NPR Top 50 Sci Fi and Fantasy of the Past Decade

This new list came out in August. Are the Admin considering adding this to the Lists' Page? What does everyone think of this list? Good or Bad? Inclusive enough?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bazhsw
Posted 2021-10-18 1:21 PM (#23481 - in reply to #23480)
Subject: Re: NPR Top 50 Sci Fi and Fantasy of the Past Decade

Regular

It's a fun list (and I think the inclusion of series bumps up the number of books way above 50). Reading through it, I am left with two impressions;

First, that genre fiction continues to go from strength to strength in it's scope, imagination and diversity. Sometimes, it's easy to look back at the classics from past decades but I think people will look back fondly on the last ten years too.

Secondly, that I have an awful lot of reading to catch up on and at some point will have to accept so many interesting books won't get read.

Of those books I have read on the list some I thought were amazing, most very good and don't think there was much I had not enjoyed.

Thanks for sharing the list - link here

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/18/1027159166/best-books-science-fiction...
Administrator
Posted 2021-10-18 1:29 PM (#23482 - in reply to #23480)
Subject: RE: NPR Top 50 Sci Fi and Fantasy of the Past Decade

Admin

Adele1967 - 2021-10-17 12:07 PM This new list came out in August. Are the Admin considering adding this to the Lists' Page? What does everyone think of this list? Good or Bad? Inclusive enough?

I finally got around to checking out the NPR list - thanks, Adele, for reminding me it was there! Here is the link for those who haven't seen it:

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/18/1027159166/best-books-science-fiction-fantasy-past-decade

This new list picks up where the NPR: Top 100 Science-Fiction, Fantasy Books list left off. It's a good list and I think they were very clearly trying to make it inclusive. I think it would make a fine addition to WWEnd and I especially like that we already have all those books in the DB. I'll try to get to it in the next few weeks.

Adele1967
Posted 2021-10-20 11:25 AM (#23489 - in reply to #23482)

Excellent. It will be a great resource for a lot of people I think it did a great job too and am looking forward to finishing off what I have left to read from the list.
dalex
Posted 2022-06-28 8:18 AM (#24050 - in reply to #23480)

Veteran

NPR is supposed to be putting out another list sometime this year as a ten year follow-up to the 2011 list.

Also, I created a challenge to read books from the NPR lists so please come join the challenge!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)