open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: You know Chad's definition of the New Poor? People who are too far behind with time-payments on next year's new model to make the downpayment on the one for the year after. John Brunner, Stand on Zanzibar
- (Added by: Rhondak101)

What are we reading in January 2022?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2021-12-31 2:11 PM (#23621)
Subject: What are we reading in January 2022?

Elite Veteran

A new year,lots of new books. Cool!
But the TBR mountains never decrease in size!.....sigh......

Dusty's TBR for January 2022
SF/Fantasy
Arthur C Clarke - Rendezvous with Rama
Mary Robinette Kowal - The Calculating Stars
N K Jemisin - Kingdom of Gods
Roger Zelazny - Creatures of Light and Darkness
C S Lewis - The Great Divorce
Eric Frank Russell - Dear Devil
E E Doc Smith - Gray Lensman

from other genres
John Ashby - Sea Gift
John D MacDonald - Empty Copper Sea
Sophocles - Antigone

Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2021-12-31 7:09 PM (#23624 - in reply to #23621)
Subject: Re: What are we reading in January 2022?

Extreme Veteran

I don't think I will finish The Duke of Caladan before midnight, so that will be my first book for January. I also have The Exiled Fleet, Diving Into the Wreck and Jack Four. Not sure they will all be read before they are due, so some may get pushed to next month.

I lucked out over the holidays and acquired two grocery bags full of books from a library book sale and a new used book store. I have lots to pick from.

Looking forward to seeing what new challenges pop up for 2022. Happy New Year!

Edited by daxxh 2021-12-31 7:14 PM
dustydigger
Posted 2022-01-01 5:43 AM (#23639 - in reply to #23621)

Elite Veteran

Hey daxxh,Happy New Year. Well done on your book haul. Totally jealous. Most bookshops,,especially second hand,have disappeared here.Apart from charity shops the nearest used book store is an hour's bus journey away. Or it was there pre-covid,probably gone with the wind now.. Amazon and Covid have pretty much destroyed bookshops here in UK.
Hope more people will join us on this thread this year! lol
pauljames
Posted 2022-01-02 11:11 AM (#23658 - in reply to #23639)

Veteran

I am currently reading Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldtrich.

Then I will be reading Lord of Chaos - the 6th Wheel of Time book. This is nearly 1000pages so I will probably not finish in January.
Weesam
Posted 2022-01-02 10:14 PM (#23663 - in reply to #23658)

Uber User

Hello everyone, happy new year.

I have started on a mammoth re-read of all Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books in chronological order rather than publication order. I had finished about 20 or so, and have about the same number still to go. It will keep me busy for a while yet.
dustydigger
Posted 2022-01-03 2:22 PM (#23666 - in reply to #23663)

Elite Veteran

Wow,Weesam,thats a LOT of books. Back in the 90s I loved Lackey's Bardic Voices,and gobbled up the SERRAted Edge series,such fun. I then drifted off to Urban Fantasy in general,and read little more of her plain fantasy titles. My library ,in a small English town,obtaineda very few scattered books from the Valdermar series,but I enjoyed those I did get but had no clue to chronology etc. No PCs back then to locate or buy online :0(
.My records shown I have only read 9 of Lackeys books,but surely that should be more! lol.
Enjoy your rereads.
lisagarrity
Posted 2022-01-03 5:20 PM (#23667 - in reply to #23621)

Veteran

Everyone has such great reading plans. I just finished P J Djeli Clark's A Master of Djinn. A really great alternate history that will be on on the Hugo ballot for sure. I have started A Desolation Called Peace by Arkady Martine and so far it is just as good as the first.
Weesam, are you going to include the Valdemar Anthologies as well?
Weesam
Posted 2022-01-03 8:50 PM (#23668 - in reply to #23667)

Uber User

I really enjoyed both A Master of Djinn and A Desolation Called Peace. Happy reading!

I probably will include the anthologies, but not trying to fit the stories in chronologically. If I do them, they'll be at the end after I finish the novels.

I'm up to 21 of 38 of the novels so far (Oathbreakers), and their are currently 15 anthologies, and a new novel due next year, so a long way to go.
dustydigger
Posted 2022-01-04 4:51 AM (#23669 - in reply to #23621)

Elite Veteran

Had a productive few days.
Completed the 4th Doc Smith Lensman book,Grey Lensman. .Aah,they dont make space opera like that anymore! Totally over the top,bonkers,with clunky writing,cheesy dialogue,and ridiculous action,but still with a certain charm.
Enjoyed a couple of Eric Frank Russell novellas,and was riveted by C S Lewis's famous allegorical The Great Divorce,where the author finds himself on a bus trip from Hell to Heaven! Not a patch off the wonderful Pilgrim's Progress,but a clever allegory with much pointed advice to Christians,but a strong enough tale to pass as anove.
I am now rereading Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama,hoping to enjoy it more than I did decades ago
Started Mary Robinette Kowal's Calculating Stars,very interesting take on the disaster subgenre by having a Jewish female protagonist in an alternate 1950s world
And am reading a light fun Hornblower in space series on the kindle no major themes or serious import,just lots of flying around having bloody battles with evil aliens.
I do like to vary my sub genres,keeps the brain alert! lol.

Weesam
Posted 2022-01-04 1:47 PM (#23670 - in reply to #23669)

Uber User

Which Eric Frank Russell did you read? I've only read Wasp by him, which I loved. He is an author I need to dive further into.
dustydigger
Posted 2022-01-05 7:00 AM (#23672 - in reply to #23670)

Elite Veteran

Weesam - 2022-01-04 7:47 PM

Which Eric Frank Russell did you read? I've only read Wasp by him, which I loved. He is an author I need to dive further into.

I read hugo nominatedshort story ''Allamagoosa'' and the rather sweet novella ''Dear Devil''
One of my all time fave short stories is his ''Sole Solution'',extremely short,but packs a punch check out https://avalonlibrary.net/ebooks/Eric%20Frank%20Russell%20-%20Sole%2...
Administrator
Posted 2022-01-05 12:53 PM (#23674 - in reply to #23669)

Admin

dustydigger - 2022-01-04 4:51 AM Had a productive few days. Completed the 4th Doc Smith Lensman book,Grey Lensman. .Aah,they dont make space opera like that anymore! Totally over the top,bonkers,with clunky writing,cheesy dialogue,and ridiculous action,but still with a certain charm.

You just listed all the reasons why I love Doc Smith, in particular, and pulp SF in general! They're just so much fun.

Administrator
Posted 2022-01-05 1:04 PM (#23675 - in reply to #23663)

Admin

Weesam - 2022-01-02 10:14 PM Hello everyone, happy new year. I have started on a mammoth re-read of all Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books in chronological order rather than publication order. I had finished about 20 or so, and have about the same number still to go. It will keep me busy for a while yet.

Happy New Year to you, Weesam!

There is no thread for the Mercedes Lackey RC, but I remembered your comment here on the mammoth ML re-read. Perhaps you can help me to pick some of her books for the challenge? The base reading level is 2 books but I'm wanting to read a trilogy to fit my Number of the Counting RC and of course 1 of those will count for my WoGF too. What stands out to you as a good pick for a grumpy old man amongst her bib?

Anyone is welcome to chime in with recs if you have them, not just Weesam.

Weesam
Posted 2022-01-05 3:38 PM (#23676 - in reply to #23675)

Uber User

Hey Dave, and Happy New Year to you too. Loks like our challenges this year have gotten off to a great start.

Probably the Vanyel trilogy, The Last Herald Mage, is her most well-known and popular (Magic's Price, Magic's Promise and Magic's Pawn). This is the first of her books I read and a very good place to start. Also the Arrows of the Queen series is popular, and the first written of her Valdemar books. Either makes a good entry into the series, as no knowledge is needed to read either. Lackey didn't write them in order, so they don't really need to be read that way. They are YA, and both start with the protagonist as a teenager, but they do grow up into adults over their respective series.

Another place to start would be with the books I'm currently reading, Oathbound, Oathbreaker, and then either Oathblood or By the Sword. They protagonist in these is two women mercenarys, and is slightly less young adulty. Oathblood is short stories featuring the women of the first two books, or you could choose By the Sword, which is set a bit later and features a granddaughter. Neither of the first two books actually feature Valdemar at all, but it is set in the same world, just in lands further south of Valdemar, and By the Sword has the granddaughter go to Valdemar.

Another place to start would be the Gryphon books (Black, White and Silver Gryphon). These are chronologically the earliest books, set a thousand years before the founding of Valdemar, but they give a good grounding in the epic event of the Mage Wars which underpins a lot of this world.

If you're also doing the LGBTQ challenge, the Vanyel trilogy would also fit in there so could do double duty for you.
daxxh
Posted 2022-01-08 4:15 PM (#23681 - in reply to #23676)

Extreme Veteran

@Pauljames - I am listening to The Wheel of Time series on my long commute. So far, I am liking it.

I finished listening to The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. It was ok.
Not the type of book I am interested in usually. I only picked it because I like Neal Stephenson. It looks like there will be a sequel and I recall reading that the coauthor will be the author. I will be skipping it if it is ever written.

I read The Duke of Calladan. It was ok (definitely not a Frank Herbert, but I do like the series enough to keep reading). I will read Lady of Calladan some time soon. I also read the first Diving book - Diving into the Wreck. It was ok as well. My new library doesn't have these so if I want to continue with this series, I will have to buy them. Best book so far this year is The Last Fleet. I got the sequel from the library only to find out I should read The Last Fleet first. This was good and I am looking forward to The Exiled Fleet.

I have had Slow Fall to Dawn on my bookcase for years (and years) and have finally gotten to it. It was ok.

I have started Jack Four and am liking it so far. Not sure I will finish it before it is due. Neal Asher books are hard to find in the USA.
dustydigger
Posted 2022-01-12 5:21 AM (#23702 - in reply to #23621)

Elite Veteran

Disappointed in The Calculating Stars. Just a breaking the glass ceiling for women with SF trappings.racism and gender issues are not my sort of SF
Harlan Ellison's I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream was harrowing and terrifying for wimpy old me,but stunning and iconic.
C S Lewis's The Great Divorce was a fine allegorical novel,on heaven and hell,good and evil. Lots to ponder on
E E Doc Smith's Grey Lensman was preposterous as usual ,but I still intend to continue the series with Second Lensman in a few months.
Otherwise I have been reading light fluffy space opera and Hornblower sort of stuff,on Kindle unlimited. Just fun stuff to keep occupied . Sadly a lot of that sort of thing is self published,sonot listed on WWEnd,otherwise my challenges would have 3 or 4 more books listed.
This next week I hope to finish Rendezvous with Rama,and read Zelazny's Creatures of Light and Darkness.,and start Jemisin's Kingdom of Gods.
Scott Laz
Posted 2022-01-14 5:20 PM (#23707 - in reply to #23621)

Uber User

Hi, all. Looking to re-engage somewhat with WWEnd, after two years when added work demands made it difficult to maintain many other activities...

Consider that, in the '30s, Doc Smith was considered by most SF fans to be the best writer in the genre, and that the later Lensman novels were appearing in Astounding in the '40s alongside Heinlein, Asimov, and other writers who were quickly moving toward a more mature fiction, and was still very popular. Most readers today would probably consider Smith unreadable (and even some of those '40s fans thought he was old-fashioned), but if you can overlook the preposterous plots, cringeworthy sexism, and weird ideas about genetic superiority/inferiority, it's definitely an important piece of SF history, and certainly not boring... I also appreciate the occasional pulp injection.

Never read Mercedes Lackey -- I think I've at least read something by all the other "grand masters."

Weesam: For Eric Frank Russell, the paranoid "Sinister Barrier" is worth a read.

So far in January, finished two books out last year -- Purgatory Mount by Adam Roberts (why Roberts doesn't get more readers and award nominations has been a mystery to me for a long time) and the conclusion of Josiah Bancroft's series, The Fall of Babel. This was a very engaging fantasy series, and old-fashioned in a way that gives it an "out of time" feel. Next up, I think there's a new Tim Powers (enjoyed the last two, and this is a sequel), and I also need to find something old -- never did finish that Lensman series...
dustydigger
Posted 2022-01-15 9:30 AM (#23711 - in reply to #23621)

Elite Veteran

Hi Scott,great to see you here! We've missed you.
Thanks for your take on Doc Smith. His books are very creaky and indeed preposterous,but I still enjoy them . I find it amusing the way he has scientists solemnly produce ''the ultimate weapon'',which cannot be topped - and then in the next book makes it even more devastating. And when they need a new invention ,often knocks off a super duper weapon as required......usually in one afternoon! lol. Endearing really.
What is also a Good Thing is the books attitude to science. Awe and respect really. Sad that within a decade even the scientists themselves claimed to be Death,the Destroyer of Worlds,and scientists have had a rather dubious reputation ever since! lol.
I have only read one Roberts' book,but Jack Glass was magnificent,so origianal,and exciting,but full of serious themes too.. You are right,he seems barely recognized
I intend to finish the Lensmen books this year still 3 to go.
dustydigger
Posted 2022-01-21 11:52 AM (#23720 - in reply to #23621)

Elite Veteran

My recent reads:
My reread of Rendezvous with Rama didnt cause an epiphany I'm afraid. I still think this would have made an excellent novella rather than a rather prosaic novel. I want more awe and sensawunda with my Big Dumb Objects!.
I reread Susan Cooper's Over Sea,Under Stone ,first in the Dark is Rising sequence for a Librarything challenge. Lots of mystery,tension,and a real sense of menace from the villains.The group of kids keep splitting up to search for clues,and then keep missing the reunions. It dawned that this was way before cell phones made locating your friends very easy. Half the plots of old books would not happen today. Everyone can locate anyone with ease! lol.
I was never very keen on Joe Haldeman's Forever War series,but decided to try his Hugo and Locus nominated Mindbridge. A bit underwhelmed. It seems I am unlikely to become an enthusiatic Haldeman fan!
I did thoroughly enjoy Zelazny's Hugo winning novelette 24 Views of Mt. Fuji,by Hokosai. Fascinating blend of cyberpunk ,travelogue and ancient Japanese history and culture. Zelazny shows that he can still be awesome 20 years after his famous spectacular early brilliance. Good stuff.
As for what I am reading now - not a lot. On and off for days my Kindle library both on computer and kindle has been playing up. Page one of a book loads up OK,but then the pages wont turn.Very annoying as I just found a load,possibly as many as 10, Winston juvenile classics for my Winston list.Polished off two in a afew days,and I cant open any of them. Bummer.
So cant get at Jemisin's Kingdom of Gods,or Corey's Abaddons Gate.I'll leave it over the weekend and try again on Monday.
daxxh
Posted 2022-01-28 7:26 PM (#23745 - in reply to #23720)

Extreme Veteran

I finished Jack Four by Neal Asher. I liked this one. It is a little different than the other books of Asher's that I have read in that the plot follows only one main character and the scale of the battles isn't nearly as large.

I also read Firebreak by Nicole Kornher Stace. It was good but a little too much teen-type behavior even though the characters were older than teens. Perhaps my reading was a bit clouded by my annoyance with Book 4 of The Wheel of Time. The main characters have regressed to junior high behavior and if it continues much longer, I may not finish this book or the series.
dustydigger
Posted 2022-01-30 6:29 AM (#23758 - in reply to #23621)

Elite Veteran

My kindle library is still playing upso I am reading on my phone.Stressed out preparing Mr Dusty for his trip to Africa next Friday. ,so much research for covid tests,visa etc I needed to read very light stuff which didnt tax my poor old brainSo I read several books off the Winston juveniles list,and 3 books in the Ishmael Jones series.pleasant but not taxing - or earthshattering!
I did enjoy Jay Kristoff's Illuminae. I can see why the young'uns enjoy it. Ah,those were the days as a teenager where your mind was blown away repeatedly by all the brillianf ideas and adventures . At 74,well,from tomorrow,I'm still only 73(ONLY?) today,its much harder to be thrilled. But the book was a fun read that was a real pageturner. But the format,with often really tiny sentences which had to be magnified to access,was a bit annoying on the phone.
I did enjoy the bonkers damaged AI,AIDAN. Shades of HAL.... The tone of the girs texts irresistibly brought Buffy to mind,so that was the mental picture I had.lol.But I wont be reading Gemina.
Only book on my Jan TBR unfinished is Zelazny's Creatures of Light and Darkness,a complicated and difficult read at the best of times,and not to be tussled with in my present state of mind,but I should finish it early in Feb.
Am making fair progress with Abaddon's Gate,perhaps 100 pages left,but still dont like it. More about that when I finish it.
Weesam
Posted 2022-01-30 3:45 PM (#23763 - in reply to #23707)

Uber User

Scott Laz - 2022-01-15 10:20 AM
Weesam: For Eric Frank Russell, the paranoid "Sinister Barrier" is worth a read.

Thanks for the rec. I will try that one. I really loved the only one of his I've read so far.

I am also a big fan of Adam Roberts, whether it's his serious fiction, or his lighter stuff. Always good. I can't understand his lack of recognition either. I have Polystom and his short fiction collection Adam Robots on my list to read this year.

I've struggled through a couple of Doc Smith's work, but unfortunately I find I am unable to overlook the "preposterous plots, cringeworthy sexism, and weird ideas about genetic superiority/inferiority".

Anyway welcome back. Enjoy the reading.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)