open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination." - Bertrand Russell
- (Added by: Administrator)

2022 Renewals
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

finminer
Posted 2022-01-01 4:00 PM (#23651)
Subject: 2022 Renewals
Quote Reply

Regular

I thought I would repeat the note I got from Cap (Admin) last year, for everyone's info:

This is for everyone's info not just Fin's...

Every year we leave it up to the previous year's Reading Challenge Hosts to renew their challenges. We like to give them a couple weeks to get them in because it's a busy time of year for most folks coming back from vacation, gearing up for work or school etc. etc.

I know it can be frustrating to have to wait for them when you're ready to plan out your reading but do keep in mind that even if the challenge dose not appear right away it will be dated from Jan 1 so you can start your reading in anticipation of those challenges being renewed.

Of course, if a challenge host has said they're not going to renew then anyone can take up the hosting and renew it for the community. This happens a lot as people often don't want to repeat a theme.

Renewing challenges from one year to the next is a real pain in the backside. It is in our plan to make that a much easier transition but like a lot of things around here we just haven't got to it yet. Eventually there will be a simple "Renew this Challenge" button that will give you the filled in edit screen so you can make whatever changes you need like the year designation, updated description, or reading levels etc. We'll have that for next year for sure.

You can renew right now by copying the old page into the new challenge form OR I can give you a hand with that later if you need help. Time permitting, of course.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
finminer
Posted 2022-01-01 4:12 PM (#23652 - in reply to #23651)
Subject: Re: 2022 Renewals
Quote Reply

Regular

I've added the Apocalypse 2022 & Grand Master challenges I hosted last year. Also created a Mercedes Lackey Grand Master challenge. Whenever you can get around to updating the splashes for these, I would appreciate it!
Administrator
Posted 2022-01-01 8:43 PM (#23653 - in reply to #23652)
Quote Reply

Admin

finminer - 2022-01-01 4:12 PM I've added the Apocalypse 2022 & Grand Master challenges I hosted last year. Also created a Mercedes Lackey Grand Master challenge. Whenever you can get around to updating the splashes for these, I would appreciate it!

Those are updated now. Thanks for posting the info bit from last year about renewals. The challenges seem to be going in at a brisk pace.

finminer
Posted 2022-01-02 10:24 AM (#23656 - in reply to #23651)
Quote Reply

Regular

Not sure if "The Weirdness" is a standard challenge or one hosted by someone. I think I might have resurrected it last year? Should I create it for this year? Then I can put it on my list to renew in the future.

There was another list called "Blooming Books", unknown creator. I found that a great challenge, very different from others. I'll renew if the original creator doesn't. Ditto for "Time Travel & Parallel Universes".
Administrator
Posted 2022-01-02 11:04 AM (#23657 - in reply to #23656)
Quote Reply

Admin

finminer - 2022-01-02 10:24 AM Not sure if "The Weirdness" is a standard challenge or one hosted by someone. I think I might have resurrected it last year? Should I create it for this year? Then I can put it on my list to renew in the future. There was another list called "Blooming Books", unknown creator. I found that a great challenge, very different from others. I'll renew if the original creator doesn't. Ditto for "Time Travel & Parallel Universes".

Weirdness, Translations, and WABAC are all charlesdee -- he'll be along next week to renew those as is his habit.

Blooming is by DarthSweaterVest. That one went over well so i suspect they'll be back again.

Time Travel is another weesam production. Surprised it's not renewed already but it's early still.

Weesam
Posted 2022-01-02 6:06 PM (#23662 - in reply to #23656)
Quote Reply

Uber User

finminer - 2022-01-03 3:24 AM

There was another list called "Blooming Books", unknown creator. I found that a great challenge, very different from others. I'll renew if the original creator doesn't. Ditto for "Time Travel & Parallel Universes".

Hey Finminer

I don't tend to renew my challenges every year, other than Authors of Colour. I try and do new ones. This year I went with Sub-Genre, which you can certainly do Time Travel and/or Parallel Universes within.

That said, if anyone wants one of my old ones, I'm happy to either re-do it if you ask, or if I don't want to re-do it, I'll let you know and you have free rein to set one up yourself.

Regarding the Wierdness challenge, Charles always pops up a bit later in January to set it up. I love his In Translation Challenge myself, and am always patiently waiting for it to arrive at this time of year. Give it a week or two.

Weesam

Edited by Weesam 2022-01-02 6:11 PM
Administrator
Posted 2022-01-04 2:28 PM (#23671 - in reply to #23662)
Quote Reply

Admin

Charlesdee is still out of pocket but he asked me to renew his 3 challenges so Weirdness, Translations, and WABAC are all live!
finminer
Posted 2022-01-09 7:15 PM (#23692 - in reply to #23651)
Quote Reply

Regular

Hi Weesam, sorry for the slow reply. I was on vacation in a remote area with sketchy phone & wi-fi. I'll do Time Travel within your Sub-Genre challenge, but if you're not going to renew Blooming Books, would you care if I did, or would you rather renew yourself? Either way, I thought that was a good one, as it embodied many books that I consider "forgotten gems", ones you don't see on other lists. In fact, I think that would a solid list to add to GR as well.
Thanks! Allan
Weesam
Posted 2022-01-09 9:30 PM (#23693 - in reply to #23692)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi Finminer

Good to have you join the sub-genre challenge.

The Blooming Books challenge wasn't mine. If you go to the challenge page you will see the challenge logo at the end of all the available challenges. Under that is a link "Click to view past challenges". Popping into the Blooming Books challenge tells me the original host of this is DarthSweaterVest. You should send him a PM and ask.
finminer
Posted 2022-02-05 9:51 AM (#23793 - in reply to #23651)
Quote Reply

Regular

I've tried contacting DarthSweaterVest a few times now with no response. Would it be ok for me at this point to take over & renew the Blooming Books challenge from last year?

Thanks!
Administrator
Posted 2022-02-05 4:27 PM (#23794 - in reply to #23793)
Quote Reply

Admin

finminer - 2022-02-05 9:51 AM I've tried contacting DarthSweaterVest a few times now with no response. Would it be ok for me at this point to take over & renew the Blooming Books challenge from last year? Thanks!

Go for it.

finminer
Posted 2022-02-08 9:53 AM (#23806 - in reply to #23794)
Quote Reply

Regular

Done. Would you be so kind as to copy the logo over from last year?

Also, when I went to add books to the challenge, it wasn't showing up in the list of options for each book. Not sure if that's an error or just timing.

Thank you as always!
finminer
Posted 2022-02-08 12:51 PM (#23807 - in reply to #23806)
Quote Reply

Regular

Correction - I was able to add several books to the Blooming Books challenge, but for some reason, "Black Gods & Scarlet Dreams" and "The Anubis Gates", it didn't show up as a choice. I tried dropping the books completely, than adding them back, but no dice.

Thanks
finminer
Posted 2022-02-08 1:26 PM (#23808 - in reply to #23807)
Quote Reply

Regular

Never mind. Duh. I figured it out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread