open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance." - Ray Bradbury
- (Added by: Administrator)

Our reads in May 2022
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2022-04-30 1:47 PM (#23940)
Subject: Our reads in May 2022

Elite Veteran

Another month,another pile of books Share your reading plans.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2022-04-30 2:02 PM (#23941 - in reply to #23940)
Subject: Re: Our reads in May 2022

Elite Veteran

Dusty's TBR for May
Arkady Martine - A Memory Called Empire
Guy Endore - A Werewolf of Paris
Shirley Jackson - We Have Always Lived in the Castle
H P Lovecraft - The Rats in the Walls
Arthur Machen - The Great God Pan

Where is everybody? I have not been around,had a massive horrible immune system problem,.Couldnt even type,so not been active - but did read quite a bit.However,not much for this month because I have lots of books lined up from other genres. If I finish them I'll try to add more,but the health isnt good,and holding a book it quite daunting at times since cramps keep twisting my fingers like pretzels!We'll see how it goes
daxxh
Posted 2022-04-30 5:15 PM (#23942 - in reply to #23941)

Extreme Veteran

Second try at adding a post. The site was down a couple days ago. I was unable to see it and I tried from multiple devices and IP addresses. Not sure if that has anything to do with my current problem.

Hope you feel better and can hold a book, Dusty.

My reading list for May:

Gladiator - Philip Wylie
The Exiled Fleet - J.S. Dewes
Stars and Bones - Gareth Powell
The Klingon Gambit - Robert Vardeman
Serpent's Reach - C.J. Cherryh
Lord of Chaos - Robert Jordan

I also have a Joe Pickett mystery, Anne Hillerman's latest book and two books about the US Southern border.

Hope this thread is more active than last month.
lisagarrity
Posted 2022-05-01 12:19 AM (#23943 - in reply to #23940)

Veteran

Hi Dusty and Daxxh,

Glad the site is back up. I hope you feel better Dusty and can enjoy the books you've picked out. You have some fantastic books on your list. Daxxh's list is less familiar. I've read the books by Cherryh and Jordan but haven't heard of the others. So many books I haven't read yet.

I usually have several books going at once. Currently I am reading Way Station by Clifford Simak, Minion by L A Banks and The Literary Lives of the Inklings by the Zaleskis. Way Station is great so far just like everything else I've read by Simak. Minion is so-so. There are 11 more in the series but I won't be going on. The Literary Lives is interesting but slow going. I've been reading parts of it since January. It's over 650 pages and I'm only halfway.

I hope to read this May
The High Crusade by Poul Anderson
Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (my April minibook challenge that I didn't get to)
The Time Machine by HG Wells
The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa
The Brightest Fell by Seanan McGuire
The Velocity of Revolution by Marshall Ryan Marescu

I have several non genre books as well. The one I am looking forward to the most is Michael Gilbert's Death in Captivity. I loved his Smallbone Deceased.
pauljames
Posted 2022-05-01 4:29 AM (#23944 - in reply to #23943)

Veteran

I am reading a 1200+ page fantasy Reapers Gale by Steven Erikson.

Aftert that hpefully a new Dean Koontz - The Other Emily

Then more Cities in Flight by James Blish, I have read the 1st story and have three more I am looking forward to
dustydigger
Posted 2022-05-01 3:12 PM (#23945 - in reply to #23944)

Elite Veteran

Already making changes(wish we could edit our post) as I couldnt get a copy of Werewolf of Paris,so I will change that to a vampire book. About a female vamp,,probably lesbian written decades before Dracula. Of course I mean Sheridan LeFanu's striking Carmilla.
daxxh
Posted 2022-05-21 9:43 PM (#23977 - in reply to #23945)

Extreme Veteran

So far this month I have read

Gladiator - Philip Wylie. Ok.
Stars and Bones - Gareth Powell. Good. Love the ship. I will read the sequel.
The Klingon Gambit - Robert E. Vardeman. Ok. Not one of the better Star Trek books.
Lord of Chaos - Robert Jordan. I like the story lines, but the adolescent bickering is really annoying and I am not sure I will continue, at least anytime soon. People complained about the detailed description of food in Game of Thrones books. Jordan likes to describe what everyone is wearing over and over, even if they are wearing the same garb from chapter to chapter.

I am almost halfway through The Exiled Fleet by JS Dewes. I am having a hard time getting through this one. The captain seems to be so flawed that I can't believe the crew still follows her. I want the story to get moving instead or stagnating because a flawed character can't overcome adversity . Either she gets her act together or not and someone else takes over. I won't be reading any sequels if there are any.

I am just starting Fevered Star by Rebecca Roanhorse. I really liked Black Sun, so I expect great things from this book.

Edited by daxxh 2022-05-21 9:46 PM
dustydigger
Posted 2022-05-26 1:31 PM (#23982 - in reply to #23940)

Elite Veteran

I've had a shocking month,my eyes are getting worse. and I can only read a little at a time. Thank heavens for the zoom feature on Kindle letting me increase the size of the letters.
Cant stand audiobooks,so dont bother telling me to listen to them! lol.Apart from a couple of things for Horror MAYhem,on Book Tube,the main book for me was Arkady Martine's A Memory Called Empire.. I really enjoyed it despite reading it in tiny pieces at a time. Intelligent,iwith interesting characters and dine worldbuilding,I thought it was worthy of award nominations,unlike a lot of light fluff reads the last few years.
I liked the theme of language usage etc,bringing to mind Cherryh'Foreigner series,where the language was highly mathematical. In this book the language is richly political and allusional.Good stuff.
Apart from that I did a reread of HP Lovecrafts The Rats in the Walls. Still as creepy as ever. Only read half of Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived at the Castle,I'll roll it over to next month.
For now I am reading Arthur Machen's unusual story The White People. It has a rather difficult introductory section,but once you get into the tale it is strange and rather spooky. Very different from Lovecraft,but fascinating.Machen was one of the big three of weird fiction,up there with Lovecraft and Clark Ashton Smith,but Machen and Smith are much less known that HPL sadly.
I may just continue with short stories for a while,not so wearing on my sight.
lisagarrity
Posted 2022-05-31 10:45 PM (#23992 - in reply to #23940)

Veteran

I've had great month for genre reading.
Not quite the things I was expecting to read though. I've misplaced my copy of Lincoln in the Bardo. Or the cats have hidden it. You can't put anything past them. They will look you in the eye as they push books off the shelf to clear space for themselves.

Way Station by Clifford Simak--Another great story by a true grandmaster.
High Crusade by Poul Anderson--Wherein the English conquer the galaxy. So much fun.
The Mothers of Voorhisville by Mary Rickert--A very nice horror story regarding mother love with a lovely, creepy last line
Witchmark by C L Polk--A sweet love story with nice world building and some good descriptive writing in places but I was surprised that it won a World Fantasy award.
Soulstar by C L Polk--Third and final book in the trilogy. I don't think much was lost by not reading the middle book but I think I will go back someday and see if I can find it. An enjoyable series.
Stars Beyond by S K Dunstall--Sequel to Stars Uncharted A wonderful space opera. I really want to pick up their other series, Linesman, now.
Storm of Locusts by Rebecca Roanhorse--Sequel to Trail of Lightning, good but not as outstanding as the first book but still better than most. Her worldbuilding is outstanding.
The Brightest Fell by Seanan McGuire--October Daye #11 October gets beat up, suffers, wins in the end but future misery is foreshadowed. A bit like the last five books in the series.
Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire--Wayward Children #3. I am having so much fun with this portal series.
The Girl in the Green Silk Gown by Seanan McGuire--Slower paced, less humor and not as sharp as the rest of the Incryptid books but still interesting.
The Hills Have Spies by Mercedes Lackey--I like her Valdemar universe but I wish she would stop explaining her characters motivations. They interrupt the flow of the story and often really have no bearing on the story anyway. She does her characters and her readers a disservice.
Treader's Leap by Sharon Lee and Steven Miller--#23 in the series. There are times I just want to curl up with my favorite soap opera.

What Makes This Book So Great by Jo Walton--A great collection of her Tor columns on reading, rereading and why certain books are fantastic. I never saw the columns when they were published and was so glad to find this book. There are so many things that I couldn't put into words that she describes perfectly.

And of the non sff books I read this month, Michael Gilbert's Death in Captivity is by far the best. A locked room mystery set in an Italian prisoner of war camp during WWII. As Gilbert was a British POW who escaped from an Italian POW camp during the German take over, I can see where he incorporated some of his life experiences into the book.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)