open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking." - Jerry Seinfeld
- (Added by: Administrator)

Where to Start: Terry Pratchett
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> AuthorsMessage format

Somethingclever
Posted 2010-05-01 1:03 PM (#1972)
Subject: Where to Start: Terry Pratchett

New User

Ok so, I've been doing the mind voyages and I'm getting a little SciFied out. This is what I've done so far this year:

Mind Voyages:

Moon Voyage : Read at least 6 winners on the Hugo Winners List
1 The Gods Themselves Isaac Asimov
2 Hyperion Dan Simmons
3 American Gods Neil Gaiman
4 Forever Peace Joe Haldeman
5 Way Station Clifford D. Simak
6 A Canticle for Leibowitz Walter M. Miller Jr.

Sling shot back to Earth: Read at least 3 winners on the Nebula Winner's List
1 - The Gods Themselves Isaac Asimov
2 - American Gods Neil Gaiman
3 Forever Free Joe Haldeman
4 Tehanu Ursula K. Le Guin

Venus Voyage: Philip K. Dick Quest - Read at least 2 of his books
1 Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Philip K. Dick
2 A Scanner Darkly Philip K. Dick

Mercury Voyage: Robert Heinlein Quest - Read at least 2 of his books
1 Friday Robert A. Heinlein
2 Farmer in the Sky Robert A. Heinlein

Mars Voyage: Read at least 6 winners on the Hugo List and take a side trip through the 21st century and read at least 4 nominees.
1 Old Mans War John Scalzi
2 Calculating God Robert J. Sawyer
3 Little Brother Cory Doctorow
4 The Last Colony John Scalzi
5 Zoes Tale John Scalzi

Go into Warp Drive and visit the other planets

Jupiter Voyage: Go side tripping 90's Style

Saturn: Go Side Tripping 80's Style
1 Blood Music Greg Bear
2 Friday Robert A. Heinlein

Uranus: Go Side Tripping 70's Style

As you can see, I've been reading a lot of Scifi but virtually no fantasy. I'm in the mood to mix it up before I get back to finishing my voyages. One of the Fantasy authors I've been interested in is Terry Pratchett. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that Pratchett sort of fits in to the light/humorous category, and after reading plenty of intense stuff I could use a laugh. Also I've heard that many Rowling fans, and I'm one, also enjoy Pratchett.

So, where do I start? I have Good Omens, but even though I heard that Pratchett wrote more of it then Gaiman, I think of it as a Gaiman book. My main concern with Pratchett is the size and scope of the Discworld series. It's huge, and I'm a bit ADD about reading series' in that I like to finish what I start. Should Discworld be viewed as a series or is it just a bunch of books that happen to take place in same universe? Am I going to ruin anything by starting with a random book? Are the books generally seen as having similar quality or are some much better while others much worse? Furthermore, are the earlier books considered better or worse on the scale?

All things being equal, I see myself probably starting at the beginning and kind of reading him at my leisure but in order. The sort of thing where I'm like, "I haven't read Pratchett in awhile, I should pick that up." This way I can finish the series on my death bed. What do you think?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-01 8:25 PM (#1981 - in reply to #1972)
Subject: Re: Where to Start: Terry Pratchett

Admin

@Somethingclever: You've already read 21 books for Mind Voyages? You're just killing it! I've read 3 on my list of 12 so far, though I've also read 4 others not on my list. I'm so jealous. Don't talk to me.

As far as Discworld, I'm in the same situation as far as not wanting to start it if I can't finish it. The size of that series has scared me off for years. I have managed to watch a few of the movies based on the books though and found them to be mildly entertaining. You can catch a few of them on Netflix. My understanding is that there are sub-series within that span a few books so you could find one of those to begin with. I don't think they need be read in order but perhaps others will say differently. If you do start at the beginning you could pretend it's a stand alone and skip the others if it's not to your liking.

I know jynnantonnyx has read some of Discworld. He'll be along shortly with his two cents I'm sure.
hihik
Posted 2010-05-02 12:02 AM (#1983 - in reply to #1972)

Regular

i read the thief of time - enjoyed it, didn't feel like i was missing on anything. i don't think discworld stories are very related.

OT: what are mind voyages? that's a mighty list you got there ...
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-02 12:13 AM (#1984 - in reply to #1983)

Admin

OT: what are mind voyages? that's a mighty list you got there ...

Mind Voyages is a reading challenge started on another blog in January.  It's a year-long challenge broken up into "voyages" that you can mix and match however you wish.  Somethingclever has gone for the gusto with his list.  My list is a bit more modest at only 12 books.

You can read a bit more about it on the blog article I did:  http://www.worldswithoutend.com/index.asp?view=plink&id=144&nbs... There are links to the source if you want to join in.  If you do, post your list here.

htaccess
Posted 2010-05-04 1:45 AM (#1999 - in reply to #1972)

Veteran

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/05/03/guest-blog-terry-pratchett-on-docto...
MT in Austin
Posted 2010-05-11 7:50 AM (#2033 - in reply to #1972)
Subject: RE: Where to Start: Terry Pratchett

Somethingclever - 2010-05-01 1:03 PM

I have Good Omens, but even though I heard that Pratchett wrote more of it then Gaiman, I think of it as a Gaiman book.

Good Omens is hilarious and a really good read. I was disappointed when I finished it. Not disappointed in the book. I wanted the ride to continue.

Don't be scared by the Discworld books. They are quick reads and pretty much can be read in just about any order. My only suggestion would be reading The Colour of Magic first.

Another fun, much shorter, series is the Ebenezum Trilogy by Craig Shaw Gardner.
1. A Malady of Magicks (1986)
2. A Multitude of Monsters (1986)
3. A Night in the Netherhells (1987)
Also loads of fun and witty.

A quick synopsis of A Malady of Magicks: "When the wizard-killing demon Guxx Unfufadoo fails at ridding the great Ebenezum, he instead curses the wizard, making Ebenezum allergic to magic. Ebenezum and his hapless apprentice Wuntvor must journey to the City of Forbidden Delights to seek a cure--and avoid such perils as tap-dancing dragons, enchanted chickens, and sinister shrubbery."
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)