open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The historic task of science fiction is to develop a global consciousness -- Margaret St. Clair, "Thoughts from My Seventies"
- (Added by: Scott Laz)

RYO End of Year Transition
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2022-12-31 12:42 PM (#26658)
Subject: RYO End of Year Transition
Quote Reply

Admin

So, every year we have this awkward transition from the old to the new year for the RYO. Folks get busy with the holidays and can't make it back to put the final updates on their challenges from the last year before the new challenges start and they get cut off. Or they're on holiday and don't get around to restarting the challenges they hosted last go 'round. We keep promising to fix it but honestly we don't think about it until about this time each year when its too late and we're busy with the holidays too.

I was lamenting this fact, yet again, when it occurred to me that we could just add an extra week to the challenges scheduled to end New Year's Day and that would give everyone time to wrap things up neatly. The new year challenges will start as usual so we'll have both 2022 and 2023 running together for a week while the former winds down and the latter ramps up.

Hopefully it won't be too confusing but keep in mind that this is a "no code" solution that we're trying on the fly. It "should" work but it could be a big mess if folks get confused and sign up for the old "Space Opera" instead of the new which use the same banner like so many others that get renewed each year. If it goes pear-shaped we'll just put the end dates back to where they were and kill the experiment. Cross your fingers!

For now you now have until January 7th to mark books as read, drop your reading level closer to what you actually read, or even bail on the challenges you just never got around to for whatever reason. You can even use the extra days to finish off that book that the holidays interrupted. Consider it a "grace period" for good behavior.

Let us know what you think and how it works for you in this thread.

Thanks!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dlw28
Posted 2022-12-31 10:47 PM (#26660 - in reply to #26658)
Subject: Re: RYO End of Year Transition
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Sounds good! Thanks for addressing this issue.
Weesam
Posted 2023-01-01 4:41 PM (#26664 - in reply to #26660)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I understand what you are trying to do, but it doesn't work for me as I end up with two of everything. This is very confusing when trying to add books to the new challenges, a task I spend a lot of time doing in the first week of the year when I don't have to be at work. I know I could just wait a week, but I'm back at work in a week, and don't have the time to spend on it.

Also, I don't add a year to my challenges so I can roll them into the new year easily, and obviously someone (you?) has got to go in and fix that by adding 2023 to the end of the challenge.

I know this was a quick fix thing, but if you wanted to do this it would be better to have two catagories, a list of 2022 challenges, and a list of 2023 challenges, where they are not all mixed up together.

Because of the problem of two of everything, which is really annoying me, the only way I can cope with this is to not sign up to any challenges, or create my own, until the old ones are gone.
daxxh
Posted 2023-01-01 10:26 PM (#26667 - in reply to #26664)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

It doesn't really make any difference to me whether or not you have a transition week. I try to finish before the last two weeks of December. I usually don't. I take the unfinished books with me on my holiday vacation, when I have a lot of time to read. If I don't finish, I will either do nothing or change the level. I have less time after the holidays to pick challenges and books as I have to go back to work on January 2nd.

It might be less confusing if the year was put in front of the challenge name so all the 2022 challenges are at the top of the list and the 2023 challenges were at the bottom of the list. I almost missed the 2023 Genre Fiction Challenge because there was only one of them. (Have to use the phone for internet at the moment so all the text is really tiny unless I zoom in.)

Transition week or not, I look forward to the new challenges every year. And I love this site. I get a lot of book recommendations and find newly released books that I may not have seen for years. Thank you and your team for all the effort you put into it.

Edited by daxxh 2023-01-01 10:43 PM
dustydigger
Posted 2023-01-02 7:42 AM (#26669 - in reply to #26667)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

As usual I messed up somehow. I filled in 2023 Pick N Mix,but all the figures etc for 2022 still show,and my thread isnt showing up on the (mixed) challenge page.
Oh well,as usual I'm sure our dear Admin will sort it out for me
Administrator
Posted 2023-01-02 3:55 PM (#26670 - in reply to #26669)
Quote Reply

Admin

That was a failed experiment. Just did not like that at all. I've put things back to normal.

Obviously we will have to put some more thought AND coding into a better solution for next year. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your patience.

dustydigger
Posted 2023-01-04 6:24 AM (#26676 - in reply to #26658)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Dave,I have REALLY messed up. Dinosaur Dusty is no good at all this sort of thing. Somehow I I can locate my 2023 challenge IF I go to My World: my challenges,and I even added book #1,but everywhere else I just get 2023 challenge title but last years stats.
Now to add to the chaos,I went to the challenge details page,and had to pop into the kitchen - leaving my 2 and a half year old granddaughter by the computer.She obviously did a bit ''tapping'' Now I cant see anything on the challenge and am swamped
Couldnt make it up. I need you to wave your magic wand and sort it out for me..........sigh............
Administrator
Posted 2023-01-04 5:15 PM (#26679 - in reply to #26676)
Quote Reply

Admin

dustydigger - 2023-01-04 6:24 AM I need you to wave your magic wand and sort it out for me..........sigh............

Unfortunately my magic has failed. I've got a call in to Chris to take a look. I'm missing something small and elusive in the code or the database. I'll post here once we get it fixed.

Administrator
Posted 2023-01-04 9:15 PM (#26680 - in reply to #26679)
Quote Reply

Admin

Pick & Mix has been fixed! All hail, whargoul, the conquering hero!
dustydigger
Posted 2023-01-05 5:11 AM (#26682 - in reply to #26680)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Whoo-hoo! As ever you guys come up trumps.
Now,after all the drama,and my granddaughter has gone home oblivious to the chaos,lets hope some people do the challenge after all!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)