open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "How nice--to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut (Slaughterhouse-Five)
- (Added by: Administrator)

Pick & Mix challenge 2023
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2023-12-15 11:06 AM (#28631 - in reply to #28606)
Subject: Re: Pick & Mix challenge 2023
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Hi daxxh,thank you for your kind words.I am thinking about the P&M challenge,and will think about your offer to run the challenge. I know it is a useful one,as you can vary the levels well,and have few restrictions on what you read. I find a lot of challenges a bit too focused on a particular sub genre or the like.
I am so tempted to continue with it!. We have quite a few people who have turned up year after year which I appreciate..We'll see.
After waiting a whole month for a MRI scan appointment we finally had the scan today.,results probably early January.
It took longer to find a parking space in the hospital grounds than the time spent on the procedure.Hospital parking is just insane
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2023-12-15 11:37 AM (#28632 - in reply to #26684)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Well,I FINALLY achieved my 80 reads for this challenge. Not the greatsest reading year,lots of fluff and lightweight stuff,comfort reads and rereads,couldnt focus too much on stronger or important work.My favourites were all vintage stuff,James Blish,Roger Zelazny,C L Moore and the like.
Sadly I didnt connect much with such hugely popular titles as A Master of Djinn,Children of Time, Kaiju Preservation Society but on the whole I didnt read masses of books from my WWEnd lists like normally.
And I had little time for one of my great pleasures running this challenge - what the rest of you were reading.because the challenge is so non specific there is a really wild variety of reads to browse. everyone has a very different list.
And I am happy to say that after a decade on WWEnd,I have read a lot of books and authors,and so find some common reads in my lists,but a much bigger and varied collection that I would love to read sometime.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2023-12-30 12:45 AM (#28652 - in reply to #26684)
Subject: RE: Pick & Mix challenge 2023
Quote Reply

Uber User

Dusty,

I'm sorry to hear of all the health troubles of you and yours.

As in past years, I've used your challenge for my top 10 reads of the year.  Somehow, it felt like somewhat of a blah year.  Still, there were a few outstanding reads!  Surprisingly, they were both horror, which isn't usually my go-to genre, but these were SO well written:
Immobility by Brian Evenson
A Certain Hunger by Chelsea G. Summers

A non-fiction book that was also excellent:
The Weird and the Eerie by Mark Fisher

I hope that you and your family have a great 2024!
dustydigger
Posted 2023-12-31 12:57 PM (#28658 - in reply to #26684)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Thanks Engelbrecht.
When it came to it ,I couldnt resist,and decided to continue the challenge for another year! lol. I will reduce my target from 80 to 40,but I enjoy at least listing some of my reads even if no one ever replies..
I'll start fresh for the year. I got so far behind I couldnt catch up,but we'll see how I go this time.
Its certainly been a rather blah year for me too. Much of the time I did comfort reads,rereads,short stories because of my health problems. Now with Mr Ds problems I havent had time to think of myself,so thats good.
2023 has been an awful year for everyone,terrible world events and absolute craziness in the US political scene almost beyond belief..I'm in UK but am a nervous wreck with the situation,so how poor old Americans are coping I dont know
dustydigger
Posted 2023-12-31 1:01 PM (#28660 - in reply to #26684)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Happy New Year to all WWEnders,dont overdo it tonight.
Hope you all got lots of books or book tokens.
Happy Reading in 2024
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)