open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "We have learned now that we cannot regard this planet as being fenced in and a secure abiding place for Man; we can never anticipate the unseen good or evil that may come upon us suddenly out of space." - H.G. Wells
- (Added by: Administrator)

My Stats and My Ratings
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Welcome to Worlds Without End! -> New Features & NewsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2010-11-11 12:14 PM (#2208)
Subject: My Stats and My Ratings

Admin

We've just updated a couple pages in the My World section that I wanted to let you guys know about.  These are pages that have been sitting out there for awhile waiting for the code bits to make them function.  Whargoul has jumped in and done the coding now so check 'em out.

My Stats - Now you can see your reading stats for all the awards we cover in a single table.  Ever wonder how many Hugo winners you've read?  Or how many Nebula nominees? Wonder no more!

My Novel Ratings - This page shows you a bar chart of all your novel ratings.  You can see how many 10's you've given out and what percentage of your total ratings are 10's.  You can also see how you compate to WWEnd as a whole.

These reports are still in the works so more functionality will be added like:

• displaying the percentage completeion for the awards so you'll be able to see that you've read 41% of the Clarke winners etc.  EDIT:  This is done now.
  • hotlinking the numbers in the stats and rating charts so you can get a list of all the Hugo winners you've read or all your 10 rated novels in a gallery display like the favorites lists
  • you'll be able to compare your ratings with other WWEnd members to see how you match up etc.

Take a look and let us know what you think.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
htaccess
Posted 2010-11-13 12:59 PM (#2209 - in reply to #2208)
Subject: RE: My Stats and My Ratings

Veteran

Awesome!

I have been meaning to request that you completed this feature. This is going to be a very useful.

Of course I have some requests for additions

1. Can we have stats for book lists too? I am currently trying to read all the SF Master works so this feature would be great to extend to the lists too.

2. Graphs on the reading stats page. Some bar graphs showing read vs to read along with the percentage read would be great.

3. Comparing reading stats with other users, this ties in with another idea I have had for a while which is some sort of "top reader" which highlights users who have read the most for a particular list/award. I think something like this would be quite a sticky feature as it encourages people to add books to their reading list and to come back and add more. It would be good if award/list pages has a small section called top readers that lists say the three users and their percentage who have read the most books of that list/series.

4. Percentage comparisons. You mention showing percentage read, it would be good to have average percentage read for all readers and also the top percentage so you can compare yourself against other readers.

Love this feature, keep up the good work.

hmm, 19/61 hugo winners ... must ... read .... more
Administrator
Posted 2010-11-13 4:03 PM (#2213 - in reply to #2209)

Admin

Hey ht,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  You've hit on a few things that are currently in the works.

1. Can we have stats for book lists too?

This is already built but lacks coding.  It'll appear on the same page in a separate table.  Should be coming soon.

2. Graphs on the reading stats page.

I like this idea a lot and we've already given it some thought for a future upgrade.  The bars would be a nice addition but would make the page pretty long with all the awards and reading lists.  I really like the way they look on the Rating page so I'm keen on doing something to jazz up the stats page.  No promises, but stay tuned.

3. Comparing reading stats with other users...

We're working through how to go about doing this one.  Right now you can't see other Member's stats.  We'll likely open that up so you can at some point.  I've been thinking of making it so you can only see your Buddies stats as part of a Buddy List feature we've been noodling on.  So, if you go to a buddy's profile and click the stats you would see theirs and yours together for comparison.  That one will take some time I think.

4. Percentage comparisons.

This one sounds interesting but I'm not sure how that would affect the display and load time.  Too many stats on that page would clutter things up I think.  Maybe a separate page with the "Top 10 Readers" stats and your own for comparison...  Something to think about.

As always, you've got some great ideas.  Thanks for sharing them with us!

daelectric
Posted 2010-11-15 12:24 AM (#2217 - in reply to #2213)
Subject: Re: My Stats and My Ratings

http://www.worldswithoutend.com/profile_stats.asp
AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED - PLEASE RETRY YOUR REQUEST
Deven Science
Posted 2010-11-15 1:46 AM (#2218 - in reply to #2213)

Uber User

We're working through how to go about doing this one. Right now you can't see other Member's stats. We'll likely open that up so you can at some point. I've been thinking of making it so you can only see your Buddies stats as part of a Buddy List feature we've been noodling on. So, if you go to a buddy's profile and click the stats you would see theirs and yours together for comparison. That one will take some time I think.

Allow me to weigh in a little bit on this. I'm actually not sure I like the idea of a "My Buddy" feature on this site, and I'm even nice enough to tell you why.

1) It would create a sort of exclusivity to the site. It would be better if your stats were simply open to anyone to see or compare, should they be curious. You can always have a toggle to "Not Share" your stats, if you don't like the idea, similar to hiding a review. A new person may be less likely to return if things are closed to him unless he makes Buddies. This ties into reason number two.

2) I'm not sure there are enough members to justify a Buddy feature. If thirty people visit the site semi-often, with about twelve that come here regularly, shouldn't I consider them all my friends? I mean, as far as the site goes, anyway. We're all here for our love of quality science fiction (or speculative, for those that choose to use the term that I don't favor, myself), and we're here to try and make this little site a success, and grow, so no one new should feel left out of the circle. Now, if the site grew to a few thousand people, then maybe I could see the justification, but for now, I say make shared features either an all or nothing kind of a thing. I'd be totally fine with anyone looking at what I'd read, and am reading, just like I make all of my reviews public, and if I didn't, I'd toggle my stats to private.

Just my thoughts.
Administrator
Posted 2010-11-15 7:41 AM (#2220 - in reply to #2217)

Admin

daelectric - 2010-11-15 12:24 AM http://www.worldswithoutend.com/profile_stats.asp AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED - PLEASE RETRY YOUR REQUEST

daelectric, can you tell me what the circumstances were when you got that message?  The only time I've ever gotten that is if I was not logged in.  It should break more gracefully in any case so I'll look into it.  Thanks.

Administrator
Posted 2010-11-15 7:51 AM (#2221 - in reply to #2218)

Admin

1) It would create a sort of exclusivity to the site.

I can see your point on that one.  I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from jumping in.

2) I'm not sure there are enough members to justify a Buddy feature.

This is almost always a concern when I'm considering a new feature.  It's hard to determine what features will make the site more appealing to our visitors and indeed which will even get used enough to justify the work of building them.

I've been working on the assumption that folks want to have a buddy list option.  I see them everywhere and they seem pretty popular.  The main thing I was wanting, for use myself, was to see what activities my buddies were engaging in.  For instance, I think it would be cool to see if you posted something in the forum or if you posted a review or marked a book to read etc.

As far as timing, I don't think it's something that would be done anytime soon because we have some holes to fill that have to take priority anyway.  I'm certainly willing to table it for another day.  Perhaps like you say, when we have a couple thousand members.

Anybody else have any thoughts on the Buddy List?

daelectric
Posted 2010-11-15 8:41 AM (#2223 - in reply to #2208)

I am logged in when this occurs. I am using chrome but this looks like a server side error anyways. Well just tested and its happening in IE for me as well.

Edited by daelectric 2010-11-15 9:07 AM
htaccess
Posted 2010-11-15 4:34 PM (#2225 - in reply to #2221)

Veteran

Anybody else have any thoughts on the Buddy List?

Its not something I am particularly keen on and I don't see myself using the feature unless there was some other feature that I liked tied it it. I certainly would prefer to be able to compare stats with people other than buddies.

Edited by htaccess 2010-11-15 4:34 PM
Administrator
Posted 2010-11-18 8:00 AM (#2237 - in reply to #2223)

Admin

daelectric - 2010-11-15 8:41 AM I am logged in when this occurs. I am using chrome but this looks like a server side error anyways. Well just tested and its happening in IE for me as well.

The My Stats page is fixed now.  Sorry for the delay.  Check it out and let me know if you have any problems.

daelectric
Posted 2010-11-18 8:34 AM (#2238 - in reply to #2208)

<p>Cool thanks. It now works for me.</p><p>
Administrator - 2010-11-13 4:03 PM</p><p>Hey ht,</p><p>Thanks for the words of encouragement.  You've hit on a few things that are currently in the works.</p><p><strong><em>1. Can we have stats for book lists too?</em></strong></p><p>This is already built but lacks coding.  It'll appear on the same page in a separate table.  Should be coming soon. [/QOUTE]</p><p> Cant wait to see this part because I am actually trying to work the the classics list right now.</p><p> </p>

Edited by daelectric 2010-11-18 8:41 AM
Administrator
Posted 2010-11-23 6:33 PM (#2242 - in reply to #2238)

Admin

OK, we made a few more adjustments to the Stats and Ratings pages in My World.

Now you can see those pages for other members.  Click on a member's name or avatar throughout the site to go to that member's world and you'll see the links in the My World sub-menu change to their name.  At the bottom of the rating table you'll find a link so you can compare their ratings with your own.

Give it a try and let me know what you guys think.

htaccess
Posted 2010-11-23 7:08 PM (#2243 - in reply to #2208)

Veteran

Cool, like the way it now says "Username's world" rather than "My world", although the title still needs updating.

Would be cool if you could compare Stats with other users too (as bar graphs).

Cool, like the way it now says "Username's world" rather than "My world", although the title still needs updating.

Looking forward to list stats

Always nice to see new features, keep up the good work.
Administrator
Posted 2010-11-23 7:17 PM (#2244 - in reply to #2243)

Admin

htaccess - 2010-11-23 7:08 PM Cool, like the way it now says "Username's world" rather than "My world", although the title still needs updating.

Bah!  Rookie mistake. It's fixed now.  Glad you like the upgrades and thanks for pointing out the page title.  The Lists Stats should be coming soon.

Administrator
Posted 2011-01-30 10:28 AM (#2320 - in reply to #2244)

Admin

Check out the latest update to the My Reading Stats page in My World.  The table of numbers was informative but not very visually pleasing.  We've re-arranged the content of the table and added status bars to show your reading history.  You can see how you fare at a glance now for each award for both winners and all nominees overall.  We made a few tweaks to the Ratings page as well.  Same data, new look.

Next up:

• compare your stats to other members side by side
  • compare your novel ratings to other members
  • reading list stats
htaccess
Posted 2011-01-30 4:55 PM (#2321 - in reply to #2208)

Veteran

I like the new reading stats page, graphs are good. Looking forward to reading list stats and comparing stats with other users.
Battlestar
Posted 2011-01-30 6:34 PM (#2322 - in reply to #2321)

New User

I did that ^.^ I'm working on the lists graphs this week, and the rating stats as well :D
Administrator
Posted 2011-02-01 9:16 PM (#2325 - in reply to #2321)

Admin

htaccess - 2011-01-30 4:55 PM I like the new reading stats page, graphs are good. Looking forward to reading list stats and comparing stats with other users.

Ya'll, Battlestar has been going to town on the stats page.

You can now view your reading stats for awards in comparison to other members.  Just click on a member's avatar or name to go to that member's My World page then click their Reading Stats link in the submenu.  You'll get their stats and your own in the same display.  Your stats are in blue and theirs show in green.  Schweet.

Book List stats in the works now.

Administrator
Posted 2011-02-02 12:29 AM (#2326 - in reply to #2325)

Admin

Bam!  Book list stats with the member comparison is done.  Check it out and let us know what you think.
htaccess
Posted 2011-02-02 3:09 PM (#2327 - in reply to #2208)

Veteran

Awesome, been waiting for book list stats ... still trying to finish the SF masterworks! Comparisons are great, always interesting to compare.
Administrator
Posted 2011-02-02 3:47 PM (#2328 - in reply to #2327)

Admin

62% completed!  Not bad.  Certainly better than my anemic 15%. 

So, do you guys think the stats bars will spur people to read more?  It's having that affect on me already.  I'm starting to reconsider my reading pile.  I guess I'll look for the books on my list that are Hugo winners AND SF Masterworks.  Two birds with one stone.

htaccess
Posted 2011-02-03 1:53 AM (#2329 - in reply to #2328)

Veteran

Administrator - 2011-02-03 8:47 AM

62% completed! Not bad. Certainly better than my anemic 15%.

So, do you guys think the stats bars will spur people to read more? It's having that affect on me already. I'm starting to reconsider my reading pile. I guess I'll look for the books on my list that are Hugo winners AND SF Masterworks. Two birds with one stone.

Yea I was doing better until they decided to add a bunch more I do think the stats bars will make people read more.

I also think some sort of "top readers" feature would be awesome and encourage people to add books to their read list. It would be great to have an overall "top readers" list and a per award/list top readers feature so that people could still get a shot at glory

as usual keep up the good work, its great having features you ask for implemented.
gallyangel
Posted 2011-03-04 3:53 AM (#2345 - in reply to #2208)

Uber User

Yeah, I like the top reader feature idea. Devided out for award/nomination/list would be helpful. Would that top reader list also include a spot for shear bulk? Le Guin's annals of the western shore is three books, but only one has any nominations or awards. I, at least, have read them in order, and not just the award winner. I'm sure there are lots of series like that and lots of people who read the whole thing and not just the winners.
Administrator
Posted 2011-03-28 2:50 PM (#2365 - in reply to #2345)

Admin

gallyangel - 2011-03-04 3:53 AM Yeah, I like the top reader feature idea. Devided out for award/nomination/list would be helpful. Would that top reader list also include a spot for shear bulk? Le Guin's annals of the western shore is three books, but only one has any nominations or awards. I, at least, have read them in order, and not just the award winner. I'm sure there are lots of series like that and lots of people who read the whole thing and not just the winners.

Was hoping to have gotten to the top readers feature by now but the site design changes and some other features are taking longer than planned.  Vacations have been slowing things up a bit too

One thing I've been wanting to get together is a list of SF and Fantasy series in our DB.  I've often found myself looking for a new series to read and that list would be really helpful.  I like having multiple ways to search for a new read.  I'd guess that better than 75% of the books in our DB are part of a series too.

I like your idea of giving members credit for completing an entire series so maybe we can show avatars for all the members who completed the series on the list.  We can add a "Series I've Completed" list in My World too.  Of course, when a new book comes out in a series you'll get dropped from the complete list.  More incentive to keep reading I guess.  I'll have to give that some thought and see what the coders say about it.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)