open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Orito pictures the human mind as a loom that weaves disparate threads of belief, memory, and narrative into an entity whose common name is Self, and which sometimes calls itself Perception. David Mitchell (The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet)
- (Added by: Rhondak101)

Science Fiction and Fantasy Comics
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2012-09-16 3:30 AM (#4139 - in reply to #3566)
Subject: Re: Science Fiction and Fantasy Comics

Elite Veteran

IJust had a quick peek at Miller's Batman Returns.Of course I am only familiar with the famous old Bob Kane series,an I have to admit being very disconcerted by this version!.I found Watchmen fairly easy to read,because most of the innovation were in content and storytelling.I think I may find the artwork or Miller's book a bit hard to get used too! Oh well,we'll see.

Edited by dustydigger 2012-09-16 3:53 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2012-09-16 3:33 AM (#4140 - in reply to #3566)

Elite Veteran

I just got Miller's Dark Knight from the library yesterday,but I dont know when I will find time to read it,I still have six books on my TBR for this month,including Jack Kerouac's On The Road,Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House in the Big Woods,Joan Aiken's The Wolves of Willoughby Chase,and supposedly Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars - nearly 7oo pages long! Aarrgghh!.
Just decided to drop Red Mars this month,and use the last weekend of the month for the comics I have on hand
Swamp Thing
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen,
The Dark Knight Returns.

Cant wait!
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-09-16 10:44 AM (#4144 - in reply to #3566)

Uber User

I recently finished the last story arc of iZombie, which just wrapped up its 28-issue run, published by DC/Vertigo, written by Chris Roberson, with amazing art by po-part genius (IMHO) Michael Allred. I usually run the other way when I see zombies and vampires (stories about them, that is), but I'll buy anything with art by Allred, and I enjoyed Chris Roberson's attempt to rescue J. Michael Straczinski's ill-advised Superman run a couple of years ago, so I gave this a try, and am glad I did. The horror aspects are parodic anad lighthearted. The storyline is Scooby Doo (and Allred's character designs can be reminiscent of '70s animation, among other influences), only the monster-hunters are good-guy monsters (zombie, werewolf, ghost) who also happen to be awkward twenty-somethings with relationship issues trying to find their way in life (or afterlife). Main character Gwen is the zombie, who works as a gravedigger so she can get access to sustenance without killing anyone. Absorbing the memories of the people whose brains she eats, she takes it as her mission to try to help them out by bringing messages to their loved ones or otherwise trying to fulfill their last requests. But it turns out that Gwen has a much larger destiny, involving coming to a true understanding of her powers, and a crucial role in attempting to prevent the end of the world, brought on by a soul-eating Lovecraftian monster. Meanwhile, her ghost friend tries to find happiness with the Frankensteinish creation of a mad scientist who hopes to use her monster to help trap the Lovecraftian monster (for evil purposes, of course), and her gay werewolf friend tries to find happiness with an aspiring comic book artist who has allowed his body to be used by a mysterious phantom who also has a role in the final battle... Also, there are vampires running a paintball club, ancient conspiracies, and a cigar-chomping chimp with the soul of the werewolf's uncle... And Roberson combines and wraps up all the wild elements of the story in a satisfying and moving conclusion, which is always a difficult trick to pull off in an ongoing serial. (See the endings of Lost and Battlestar Galactica, for some TV examples of this problem.) Vertigo's comics tend toward the dark, but this is a fun, positive story (despite the occasional monster carnage). After having read it as it came out over the last couple of years, I'm looking forward to rereading it straight through.I think there are three trade paperback collections available, and the concluding volume should be out soon.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-09-17 8:23 AM (#4147 - in reply to #3566)

Elite Veteran

Hey,surprise surprise,my library system actually has u Vampire,which is possibly the first in series? The only other Robersons are about Cinderella from Fabletown! lol.
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-09-17 1:01 PM (#4149 - in reply to #3566)

Uber User

Dusty: "uVampire" is the second volume. The first one is called "Dead to the World." Tell your librarian there's not much use having the second without buying the first! The Cinderella book is a spinoff from Bill Willingham's Fables series, which is probably the most popular fantasy comic of the last decade. All the characters from fables have been expelled from their homelands because of a war, and must live in our world, continuing the fight to take back their homeland. I think Cinderella is a spy or secret agent in that story, but I haven't read that one... Fabletown is in the middle of NYC, shielded from the real world by magical spells... (It's not as juvenile as it sounds. It's actually a Vertigo "mature readers" comic.)
dustydigger
Posted 2012-09-18 9:09 AM (#4159 - in reply to #3566)

Elite Veteran

Sadly,the library only has uVampire,.May try the Fables,they sound fun! .Thanks for the info.
stevefrank
Posted 2012-09-24 6:46 AM (#4174 - in reply to #3566)

I like Jericho. It's interesting comics.
minervasowl
Posted 2013-08-07 8:30 AM (#5496 - in reply to #3566)

I wander in and out of the realm of comics and graphic novels. The medium fascinates me, and so much of the art is amazing, especially when I think about how each drawing started life as a blank page. Except for the Bat (and I haven't read much about him since the big reveal in Hush), I tend to stay away from the more popular/mainstream superhero characters (Spider Man, X-Men, Superman, etc.), but I recently downloaded most of Marvel 1602 (Comixology was having a sale), and I am intrigued by DC Comics' New 52 http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/The_New_52.

Right now I am reading Neil Gaiman's Books of Magic. The changes in artists between chapters is a little distracting, but I also find it interesting to see different interpretations of the same story and cast of characters right next to each other in the same book.

Black Orchid, another Gaiman story, is near the top of my to read pile, which also includes Watchmen; Sandman; Alabaster: Wolves; Moon Knight; Hopeless, Maine; The Unwritten; Kill Shakespeare; The God Machine; and The Umbrella Academy.

I have the first few volumes of the graphic novelization of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but I am not sure how I feel about the trend of graphic novelization. (Or maybe it is not a trend, and I am just now noticing it.) It makes me worry that the comics world might be running out of ideas the way that Hollywood seems to be.
Administrator
Posted 2013-08-09 10:18 PM (#5500 - in reply to #5496)

Admin

I've been eyeballing that Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? comic for some time.  I think I'll head round to the comic shop and pick it up this weekend.

My tastes in comics are more along the lines of adaptations of novels too, rather than super heroes.  Of course, I wouldn't read a comic adaptation in lieu of reading the novel but I like to see how the artist and writer interpret the books I've already read or pick up the story and take it elsewhere.  Especially if it's something I liked but don't have the time to go back and re-read the original.

I recently read Elric: The Balance Lost from Boom and really liked it.  Not written by Moorcock but very much in keeping with his style and true to his characters.  It has some excellent artwork as you can see from the cover.

I also liked Warlord of Mars and Flash Gordon from Dynamite.

Some others I've been thinking of trying include Blade Runner, Ender's Game and Buck Rogers.  I have a soft spot for the pulp obviously.  I've got the first volume of The Sandman already but have not started it yet.

While not from a novel, I have been tempted to try the Firefly comics.  Has anyone here read them?  I'm a huge fan of the show so that might be setting the bar a bit too high.

Incidentally, I came across Virga, an online comic adaptation of Carl Schroeder's excellent novel Sun of Suns, the first book in his Virga series.  They're releasing 3 new pages a week online so you can read it free or buy it outright for just $0.99.  The art is outstanding and it's a great story.  I read the book years ago so I'm using the comic to refresh my memory before I take on the next book in the series.

minervasowl
Posted 2013-08-20 2:58 PM (#5523 - in reply to #3566)

I finished Books of Magic and recommend it. Fashion Beast by Alan Moore has been added to the to read pile.

The Reason for Dragons by Jeff Stokely, Chris Northrop and The Wizard's Tale by by Kurt Busiek and David Wenzel are great for kids (probably in the middle grade range but quite possibly with wider appeal), as are Jane Yolen's Foiled and Curses! Foiled Again.

Maybe someday the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards can be added to WWEnd. Not all of the recipients are science fiction, fantasy, or horror, but there is strong representation for those genres in the medium of comics.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)