open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win." - Robert A. Heinlein
- (Added by: Administrator)

Appendix
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

scifi_writer
Posted 2013-07-02 10:50 AM (#5370)
Subject: Appendix

New User

What are people's feeling about an appendix in a scifi/fantasy book (not the classics, but a new one)? Do you see it as interesting additional material or the sign of weak writing (as in, why couldn't they explain this stuff in the actual book)? Thoughts?

Dave
@scifi_writer
Top of the page Bottom of the page
francesashton
Posted 2013-07-03 1:20 PM (#5379 - in reply to #5370)
Subject: Re: Appendix

Regular

I don't read appendices. Most of the ones I find are either lists of characters or word-pronunciation guides and if you want to add them then fine. Can't say that I've ever read anything about how the world was built and it's history or religions or whatever. If I can't work that out from the text then it wasn't very well written :-).

Must say I quite like an epilogue: it's nice to see what happened to everyone at the end though with some never-ending fantasies you don't get many of these nowadays.
Deven Science
Posted 2013-07-21 4:56 PM (#5444 - in reply to #5370)
Subject: RE: Appendix

Uber User

An appendix can be useful, but I generally only glance over them quickly.

There are certain books where I found something like maps of the area, or glossaries to be very useful. A Clockwork Orange comes to mind.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-08-01 12:51 AM (#5470 - in reply to #5444)
Subject: RE: Appendix

Uber User

Deven Science - 2013-07-21 4:56 PM

An appendix can be useful, but I generally only glance over them quickly.

There are certain books where I found something like maps of the area, or glossaries to be very useful. A Clockwork Orange comes to mind.

I also use maps found in the appendix, but very rarely use the rest of them. The exception to that was The Songs of Fire and Ice series. There were just so many characters, some with similar names, that I found the listings of the members of each house to be quite useful. I only used them in the first book, because after that I either knew the characters, or they were dead!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)