open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "By day the banished sun circles the earth like a grieving mother with a lamp." - Cormac McCarthy (The Road)
- (Added by: Emil)

What are you reading in September?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-09-05 9:40 AM (#5555)
Subject: What are you reading in September?

Uber User

Thank you for asking:

Well, I'm reading "The Sparrow" for the WoGFC and, surprisingly - given that it's about a Catholic priest, I'm finding it really good. The best of the Challenge reads so far. For short stories I'm reading "The Silmarilliom" which is a bit like reading the begats in Genesis. I'm a third of the way through the self indulgent ramble that is Stephenson's "The System of the World".

Next up is "Redshirts" (for obvious reasons) and "The Mount" for the next WoGFC.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DrNefario
Posted 2013-09-05 4:47 PM (#5556 - in reply to #5555)
Subject: Re: What are you reading in September?

Uber User

I'm reading Redshirts myself.
Switters
Posted 2013-09-06 6:07 AM (#5557 - in reply to #5556)

I just finished The Many Colored Land by Julian May and started Ilium by Dan Simmons and Passage by Connie Willis.
francesashton
Posted 2013-09-06 1:43 PM (#5559 - in reply to #5555)

Regular

I've been reading YA trying to knock off more on the Locus YA list, so I've been in fairyland for a little while. I've also started re-reading my Wizard of Oz collection. Kelley Armstrong's new book Omens is really good. Next on the list is Cursed by Benedict Jacka and on the not-SF pile is The Baghdad Railway Club by Andrew Martin.
Emil
Posted 2013-09-07 4:07 AM (#5561 - in reply to #5559)

Uber User

I'm onto a couple of fantasy works, The Cardinal's Blades, Wolfsangel and then Flesh and Spirit (for the WOGF). Am finding The Cardinal's Blades above-average swashbuckling historical fantasy. A Pleasant and refreshing surprise.
pauljames
Posted 2013-09-07 7:08 AM (#5562 - in reply to #5555)

Veteran

I have just purchased The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester and also Foundation by Isaac Asimov. These are the first books I will have read by either of these authors. I am twenty pages into The Stars My Destination and enjoying it. Also just ordered a couple of books online, In The Night Room by Peter Straub. This will be my ninth book by him. And my first Tad Williams book Shadowmarch. So a very enjoyable september for me, two science fictions a horror and a fantasy to read.
DrNefario
Posted 2013-09-07 9:37 AM (#5563 - in reply to #5561)

Uber User

Emil - 2013-09-07 10:07 AM

I'm onto a couple of fantasy works, The Cardinal's Blades, Wolfsangel and then Flesh and Spirit (for the WOGF). Am finding The Cardinal's Blades above-average swashbuckling historical fantasy. A Pleasant and refreshing surprise.
i managed to pick that up very cheaply when a shop was temporarily closing down a few months ago. I'm pleased to hear it's good. I didn't know anything about it, really. It was just a random gamble.
Scott Laz
Posted 2013-09-08 5:35 PM (#5572 - in reply to #5562)

Uber User

Still plowing through C. J. Cherryh's addictive Foreigner series. Just began the eleventh volume, Deceiver. (The similarity of the titles makes it hard to remember which is which....) Should be caught up by the time #15 comes out this spring. Also just began my annual short fiction roundup with the Jonathan Strahan-edited Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year Volume 7, to be followed by the Horton, Dozois, and Hartwell "year's bests" covering 2012.

pauljames - 2013-09-07 6:08 AM

I have just purchased The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester and also Foundation by Isaac Asimov. These are the first books I will have read by either of these authors.

I'm always interested to know how Asimov holds up for newcomers these days...
specficwriter
Posted 2013-09-08 11:33 PM (#5573 - in reply to #5555)

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Very good.
Emil
Posted 2013-09-09 4:41 AM (#5575 - in reply to #5563)

Uber User

DrNefario - 2013-09-08 5:37 AM

i managed to pick that up very cheaply when a shop was temporarily closing down a few months ago. I'm pleased to hear it's good. I didn't know anything about it, really. It was just a random gamble.

The same here. Found it in a shop where you can buy 3 books for 5 bucks. Took a chance as I recalled Dave's review of it. And that it featured dragons and swordplay. I wasn't disappointed. although I do share Dave's sentiments re the dragons. Note also that it's translated from French. Nonetheless, I found it good escape and will continue with the series.
ArchangelAlan
Posted 2013-09-09 8:00 PM (#5579 - in reply to #5555)
Subject: RE: What are you reading in September?

I will finish Book 3 in Farmer's "Riverworld" series, "The Dark Design," tonight or tomorrow morning. After that I'll probably read book 4, but there is a chance I might opt for something else. I've been reading nothing but Riverworld books the last 4 weeks or so. I've spent 1,000 pages in Riverworld.

Book 3 is not as good as Book 2. There are too many extraneous subplots going on simultaneously. This Peter Jarius Frigate character is an incredible bore, and I could do without him pretty much entirely.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-09-11 2:41 PM (#5581 - in reply to #5555)

Uber User

I seem to be in a bit of a rut these days, I'm having trouble finishing my books in a timely manner, but here goes

I have almost finished JL Bourne's final book in in his Day By Day Trilogy "Shattered Hourglass", (and lets face it, this series is basically the Harliquin Romance of horror lit, so I am a tad ashamed to say how much I enjoyed it!)
The Affinity Bridge by George Mann
The Breach by Patrick Lee (I'm about 1/2 way thru this one, and I'm really enjoying it)

pauljames
Posted 2013-09-13 6:20 AM (#5583 - in reply to #5572)

Veteran

reply to scott laz - I'm always interested to know how Asimov holds up for newcomers these days...

I am well over halfway through this and it is unlike many things I have read before. The future universe that is created I enjoy and all the snippets from the Encyclopedia are fascinating. However I do get bogged down at times as there is a lot of politics in this book and the vast majority of the book is told in conversation format. Also the characters do not stay for long as the book moves through large chunks of years.

I will certainly read the follow-up books. There is a lot I like about this and the parts I struggle with I see as a challenge. This has happened to me before when reading new authors and I find the next book you read by them you are ready for and familia rwith. I want to read the best Science Fiction and Fantasy books so I expect them always to be a challenge but it is worth it.

Edited by pauljames 2013-09-13 6:31 AM
Scott Laz
Posted 2013-09-23 3:58 PM (#5598 - in reply to #5583)

Uber User

@paul: Modern critics often complain about Asimov's lack of characterization and plain writing style, which I can understand having reread some of his stuff recently, but I still think he's worth checking out. Glad to hear you think Foundation holds up. The pieces of the Foundation trilogy originally appeared as novellas in Astounding during the 1940s. It originally wasn't conceived of as a series of novels, since SF was strictly a magazine genre prior to the '50s. Thus the episodic format and the eventual marketing as a "trilogy" once the book market got hold of it...

Continuing to tear through Cherryh's Foreigner series: finished Deceiver, Betrayer, and Intruder. Now on to Protector, the fourteenth volume, which came out earlier this year. The next one is out in April, so I won't have instant resolution of the next cliffhanger. Also finished Strahan's Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year Volume 7. Robert Reed's novella Katabasis was the standout for me, but lots of other good stuff as usual. The stories by Andy Duncan, Eleanor Arnason, Aliette de Bodard, Adam Roberts, were among the really good ones, but I'll stop listing now. I did get tired of all the fantasy stories with plots based on severe family trauma (Rachel Pollack, Steve & Melanie Tem, Margo Lanagan,...), though each was well done individually...
Oaks Lab
Posted 2013-09-23 4:51 PM (#5600 - in reply to #5598)

Just finished Frankenstein, now reading A Clash of Kings.
And Frankenstein was beautiful
ArchangelAlan
Posted 2013-09-23 11:52 PM (#5601 - in reply to #5555)

I finished volumne 1 of The Book of the New Sun: The Shadow of the Torturer, by Gene Wolfe. It's pretty terrific. I started book 2 today.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-10-01 2:51 AM (#5621 - in reply to #5581)

Uber User

Well It was not a complete waste of the month. I finished:

Shattered Hourglass by JL Bourne,
and Both The Breach and Ghost Country By Patrick Lee,
I also finished Married With Zombies and Flip This Zombie by Jesse Petersen for WOGF challenge.
Not to mention Sisters Red By Jackson Pearce,
And The V Wars By Johnathan Maberry.
I also read The Passage by Justin Cronin and Earth Abides by George R Stewart, just so I did not pickle my brains in the literary equivalent of a Big Mac Extra Value Meal for the entire month.

In October I have sworn to read only books I already own, but have not gotten to yet. I have 45 books sitting on my Nook alone, not to mention the stacks on "Book Books" , my friends way of describing paper copies of books. Including such gems as Dooms Day Book by Connie Willis and Berserker by Fred Sabergagen.

I could be in trouble because our library is having their annual book sale in October and some of the books in my to read pile are still there from last years sale!
DrNefario
Posted 2013-10-03 8:07 AM (#5632 - in reply to #5555)

Uber User

Genre-wise, it was just Redshirts and two WoGF books for me last month: Boneshaker by Cherie Priest (so-so) and China Mountain Zhang by Maureen F McHugh (excellent). Non-genre-wise (well, not the WWE genres) I read Julian Symons' 1972 history of crime fiction, Bloody Murder, and A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)