open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination." - Bertrand Russell
- (Added by: Administrator)

What Are You Reading In October?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-10-02 1:35 PM (#5628)
Subject: What Are You Reading In October?

Uber User

I have made it my mission this month to make a dent in my "To Read" stack of books (which unfortunately takes up one entire shelf of my bookcase) because our local library is having their annual book sale, and I still have books from last years sale on my shelf. If I don't do something I will have to stack this years purchases on the floor in front of my case and as everyone knows that is the first step down to road to being on an episode of next seasons "Hoarders". That being said, here is my plan to forestall an intervention by my family:

Timeless - Gail Carriger
Feed - Mira Grant (This is the last selection on my WOGF challenge, but was actually the first novel I chose)
The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi
Berserk - Tim Lebbon
Wool Omnibue Edition (Wool 1-5) Hugh Howey

and what ever else I grab. I have several authors from the WOGF challenge that I have picked up but for whatever reason did not read, what can I say,I am distracted by a flashy book cover)

Oh Yeah, if I get the chance I plan to read "The Lords of Salem" by Rob Zombie, just because our library has it, and no I have not seen the movie yet.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DrNefario
Posted 2013-10-03 8:03 AM (#5631 - in reply to #5628)
Subject: Re: What Are You Reading In October?

Uber User

I'm finally getting round to reading Traitors' Gate by Kate Elliott, the last book in the Crossroads trilogy, which I've inexplicably been sitting on for about two years. I'm struggling to remember who is who. It's a bit of a big book and I'm expecting it to take a fair chunk of the month. The main reason I've decided to get stuck in is because I'm ahead on the WoGF, having finished my October choice on the evening of the 30th September. (I'm pacing myself to one a month on the WoGF.)
ArchangelAlan
Posted 2013-10-04 11:28 PM (#5636 - in reply to #5628)

In October I've read some Gene Wolfe short stories from "Innocents Aboard" and am now reading the third volume of the Book of the New Sun: The Sword of the Lictor.

I am becoming fanatical about keeping my books in pristine condition. I never read a copy I've purchased any more; instead, I check out the library's copy and keep my own in like new shape.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-10-05 10:22 AM (#5637 - in reply to #5636)

Uber User

Continuing with Ash: A Secret History and nearing the half way mark. A tremendous book. I don't know why I'd never heard of it before. It really is a masterpiece of the genre.
DrNefario
Posted 2013-10-06 4:58 AM (#5639 - in reply to #5628)

Uber User

I've had Ash on my wish list for a while, but as a thousand-pager I wasn't too keen on the paperback. I was delighted when SFGateway released the ebook about two weeks ago. I bought it right away, but have no idea when I'll get around to reading it.
francesashton
Posted 2013-10-06 10:54 AM (#5640 - in reply to #5639)

Regular

I'm now working my way through the Locus YA list as I've found a lot of the books in my local library and in charity shops. Having said that I keep getting distracted by other books I pick up so while that's the plan it doesn't follow that it'll come to fruition! At the moment I've got Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (Susanna Clarke) swapping with The City and The City (China Mieville) and a totally new author to me: Diana Wynne Jones - I'm reading The Merlin Conspiracy. I suspect that Jonathan Strange will take most of the month as it's pretty big and the writing is quite hard work for me.
daxxh
Posted 2013-10-13 12:51 AM (#5668 - in reply to #5628)

Extreme Veteran

I started the WoGF in August in hope of putting a dent in the Nebula nominees that I bought over the last couple of years. Right now, I am reading The Killing Moon. I just read God's War and Shades of Milk and Honey. I just got The Shining Girls and Sister Mine from the library, which does nothing for my TBR pile on the floor. The Hydrogen Sonata and Blue Remembered Earth are in that pile...
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-10-14 1:32 AM (#5670 - in reply to #5628)
Subject: RE: What Are You Reading In October?

Uber User

Ok change of plans. Friday I got a call from the Library and "Doctor Sleep" by Stephen King just came in and guess who's name was on the top of the list, That's right Badseedgirl, oh yeah and the book I interlibrary loan requested a month ago has finally born fruit and so "Eat Slay Love" by Jesse Petersen is also waiting for me. Well I asked the librarian and she said there are 35 people on the waiting list for Doctor Sleep. 35! I did not think there were even 35 library patrons total, and Interlibrary loan books can only be kept for 2 weeks, or you lose your interlibrary privileges for 90 days, so these two books must be read first. And this is why my To-Be-Read book pile never never ever goes down! Fortunately, both books are extremely quick reads so I should be able to bang it out in 2 weeks and still be able to read Feed. So in conclusion new list is:

Timeless (done, and what a nice way to wrap up the series)
Eat Slay Love - Jesse Petersen
Doctor Sleep - Stephen King
Feed - Mira Grant

I have read 1/2 of "The Brief History of the Dead" by Kevin Brockmeier but have had to put it aside for now, but I will definitely be coming back to it because it has one of the most beautiful opening chapters I have ever read. (PS it is not listed on this site, but from what I have already read, I would recommend this book wholeheartedly, of course it may fall down at the end!)

Edited by Badseedgirl 2013-10-14 1:35 AM
pauljames
Posted 2013-10-20 4:59 AM (#5679 - in reply to #5628)

Veteran

Currently reading Shadowmarch by Tad Williams. After this I will be reading a mainstream novel, I try to read about one a year. Darkhouse by Alex Barclay, it should be a crime novel. I read the follow-up to it The Caller a few years ago after getting it as a christmas present.
Maureen
Posted 2013-10-23 6:08 AM (#5690 - in reply to #5679)

Eventhough I still had 17 books waiting for me, I had the perfect excuse to buy 2 new books: A couple of days doing nothing at my parents' house. So lots of time reading my books. I already bought book 4 of The wheel of time (also because I had a lame excuse), and now I bought book 5 and 6 as well. Once I start a series, I have to read all the books, but I am a bit scared of The Wheel of Times, because it seems a lot of people were/are struggling with the series.
So for me it is going to be a Robert Jordan month, apparently.
ArchangelAlan
Posted 2013-10-23 2:01 PM (#5691 - in reply to #5690)

I finished The Citadel of the Autarch, concluding the Book of the New Sun.

I am deep into The Magic Labyrinth, book 4 of Farmer's "Riverworld" saga.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-10-23 2:18 PM (#5692 - in reply to #5628)

Uber User

Finally finished Ash: A Secret History, the last of my WoGF challenge. Now we'll what this George R.R. Martin fuss is all about.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)