GMRC Q & A
Administrator
Posted 2012-01-11 7:51 PM (#2886)
Subject: GMRC Q & A
Quote Reply

Admin

So we finally got the Grand Master Reading Challenge launched and we figure there will be plenty of questions so fire away.  We'll be tweaking the interface and making other improvements as we go along and I'll post the details here as well.

As always, we love to get feedback so let us know what you like and don't like so we can keep improving!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
charlesdee
Posted 2012-01-12 9:36 AM (#2888 - in reply to #2886)
Subject: Re: GMRC Q & A
Quote Reply

Uber User

Having struggled through The World of Null A, I put A.E. van Vogt into the first slot. But anyone I add pushes van Vogt further down the line. Does this matter?
Administrator
Posted 2012-01-12 9:55 AM (#2889 - in reply to #2888)
Quote Reply

Admin

charlesdee - 2012-01-12 9:36 AM Having struggled through The World of Null A, I put A.E. van Vogt into the first slot. But anyone I add pushes van Vogt further down the line. Does this matter?

The authors you add to your list display in alphabetical order so it does not matter in what order or when you add them.  The books, as you mark them, will display in the order you mark them which should be the order in which you read them.  They'll move to the front of the list and push the remaining authors over.  Your A. E. van Vogt book will appear first in the list once you tag it.

Take a look at Emil's list.  He has marked 2 books already and you can see that Silverberg comes before le Guin because that's the order he tagged them in rather than alpha by author or title.

The columns roughly represent months in the challenge so you'll be able to see the review links for the month straight down the page.  I say "roughly" because you can tag multiple books in a month if you want just as Emil has done.  I'd hold off on posting multiple reviews in the same month though so you can have more chances to win.

DrNefario
Posted 2012-01-13 7:41 AM (#2896 - in reply to #2886)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Just to clarify, we shouldn't mark the books for the challenge until after we've read them?

I know what many of them will be already (and by coincidence I'm in the middle of Isaac Asimov's Foundation right now), but I don't want to be jumping the gun.
Administrator
Posted 2012-01-13 7:52 AM (#2897 - in reply to #2896)
Quote Reply

Admin

DrNefario - 2012-01-13 7:41 AM Just to clarify, we shouldn't mark the books for the challenge until after we've read them? I know what many of them will be already (and by coincidence I'm in the middle of Isaac Asimov's Foundation right now), but I don't want to be jumping the gun.

That's right.  Mark them as read after you read them and that will activate the GMRC checkbox so you apply that book to your challenge.

We're going to do an update shortly so that when you mark a book as "Reading" it'll show in the challenge tracker page as a faded book cover in place of the author pic.  That way other people can see which book you're reading by each author.  You'll be able to tag all the books you intend to read and they'll show in the list.  Standby for that update.

Tantara
Posted 2012-01-18 11:21 AM (#2908 - in reply to #2886)
Quote Reply

A question: Is there a GMRC graphic to use for linking to the challenge from our own blogs? I'd like to include the challenge in a "book challenges I'm attempting this year" sort of post as well as place a graphical link in my sidebar that would bring people to the challenge itself here at WWE. I know there are general WWE graphics available on the FAQ page, but before I use one of those, I thought I'd ask if there was a preferred and dedicated challenge graphic. Thanks!
Administrator
Posted 2012-01-18 11:31 AM (#2909 - in reply to #2908)
Quote Reply

Admin

Tantara - 2012-01-18 11:21 AM A question: Is there a GMRC graphic to use for linking to the challenge from our own blogs? I'd like to include the challenge in a "book challenges I'm attempting this year" sort of post as well as place a graphical link in my sidebar that would bring people to the challenge itself here at WWE. I know there are general WWE graphics available on the FAQ page, but before I use one of those, I thought I'd ask if there was a preferred and dedicated challenge graphic. Thanks!

Yes, we do have some graphics for use on your blog.  On the GMRC page click the "Click Here for Challenge Details" button under the big GMRC badge.  It'll slide open to reveal details and a couple smaller badges.

I guess since you did not find them I should make them more obvious. 

Thanks in advance for the link!  We're hoping to get a few more folks on board.  The good thing about the GMRC is that with only 12 books you can join late in the year and still catch up.

Tantara
Posted 2012-01-18 11:41 AM (#2910 - in reply to #2886)
Quote Reply

Thanks! Those graphics look great. I did read that hideaway area when I first read about the challenge, and I had in the back of my mind that I'd seen a challenge graphic somewhere, but I didn't recall where or connect the dots in my mind when I went looking for a graphic. (Reminder to self: Always look in the nooks & crannies first!)
Administrator
Posted 2012-01-24 6:19 PM (#2942 - in reply to #2910)
Quote Reply

Admin

Just FYI:  We updated the interface for the GMRC page so that the novels you tag as "Reading" will show now in place of the author pics for each author.  So for example if you look at my list you'll see a faded I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream in place of Harlan Ellison's picture because I'm reading it now.

This way you can see what people are reading for each author as they tag them on the novel page.  You don't have to wait until they're done reading you just have to wait until they tag them as Reading.

I hope that makes sense.  Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

ILikeMaps
Posted 2012-01-25 6:48 AM (#2945 - in reply to #2886)
Quote Reply

Everything looks GREAT.

Thanks for motivating me to pick up and actually read some of the classics. Although fairly new to the site, you have done a great job and I am glad I found it.

Now that I have finished my first book, on to the difficult task, writing a review of what I read.
Administrator
Posted 2012-01-25 8:00 AM (#2946 - in reply to #2945)
Quote Reply

Admin

ILikeMaps - 2012-01-25 6:48 AM Everything looks GREAT. Thanks for motivating me to pick up and actually read some of the classics. Although fairly new to the site, you have done a great job and I am glad I found it. Now that I have finished my first book, on to the difficult task, writing a review of what I read.

Thanks, ILikeMaps!  Great to have you here.  That's what the reading challenge is for.  Giving folks that little push.  To me the Grand Masters is a list of authors that I can't believe I haven't read yet.  I've been reading SF/F for 30+ years and somehow never got around to some of these giants.

Don't sweat the reviews too much.  Just tell us what you liked and didn't like.  It's an interesting exercise getting you thoughts down on paper.  I know I tend to struggle a bit in that regard.  I just resolve to write my best and not worry about trying to hang with the big dogs.

dustydigger
Posted 2012-05-30 12:30 PM (#3265 - in reply to #2886)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

What happens if someone reviewed a GM book in january,say Childhood's End? Could someone else do anothe review in May on the same book?.Do the books reviewed have to be award winners or nominees,or can they be any books by that author?
Administrator
Posted 2012-05-30 1:55 PM (#3266 - in reply to #3265)
Quote Reply

Admin

dustydigger - 2012-05-30 12:30 PM What happens if someone reviewed a GM book in january,say Childhood's End? Could someone else do anothe review in May on the same book?.Do the books reviewed have to be award winners or nominees,or can they be any books by that author?

Hey DD,

You can read and review any book by any of the Grand Master authors at any time.  The best reviews will get featured in the blog without regard to that book having already been featured.  A good review is a good review.  In fact, we just had a great review of Way Station from jfrantz in the blog and I've got another one from Allie to post tomorrow for the same book.  Two takes on the same title is pretty cool I think.

The books don't have to be award winners or noms either.  They don't even have to be books in our database.  If you find one you want to read for the challenge let us know and we'll add it so you can tag it.  We've done that several times already.

Emil
Posted 2012-05-31 3:46 AM (#3268 - in reply to #3266)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Having more than one review of the same book gives a much wider range of perspective. I enjoy making connections between them and often the differences adds much more to my own understanding of that book.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-05-31 8:37 AM (#3270 - in reply to #2886)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Thanks Dave for clearing that up.I am still feeling my way around.
Hi Emil,good to meet you! You are right about getting different perspectives.But some of the reviews here are so good as to be intimidating,I wont feel I have much to add.Oh well,we'll see how it goes.At the moment I am still adding my books,but I am steadily working my way down the All Authors list,its going tomtake a while.Your shelf is very interesting,but way deeper and heavier than mine!