|
|
 Member
Posts: 5

| Hi, I think this has come up for me several times when shelving books on the site: a subgenre option that's missing from the dropdown menu is PORTAL FANTASY. I'd suggest adding this if it isn't too much trouble. |
|
| |
|
 Admin
Posts: 4191
 Location: Dallas, Texas | anarka - 2025-09-24 10:15 AM Hi, I think this has come up for me several times when shelving books on the site: a subgenre option that's missing from the dropdown menu is PORTAL FANTASY. I'd suggest adding this if it isn't too much trouble. We have had several requests for sub-genres to be added --the most asked for is Grim Dark. We are contemplating a pow wow of member who have an interest and Ubers etc. to work through our current list and make edits/additions as needed. Everyone has different ideas about what belongs and no 2 lists are alike so I am hoping for some spirited debate and a really great list to come out of it. When that will be is not clear but we definitely want to get the community's input. If a bunch of folks want to get into it we can go anytime. Raise your hand if you'd like to take part. |
|
| |
|
 Member
Posts: 5

| I'm interested! |
|
| |
|
 Extreme Veteran
Posts: 362
 Location: California | This sounds interesting. I'd like to join in.
Edited to add: I think we should have a LitRPG category.
Edited by lisagarrity 2025-10-03 1:40 PM
|
|
| |
|
 Uber User
Posts: 643
 Location: New Zealand | Since I add a lot of fantasy books, I have found a few sub-genres I would like to have. Portal Fantasy, as already mentioned is a big one that is missing. Another that is becoming a thing more recently is Dark Academia.
|
|
| |
|
 Uber User
Posts: 386
 Location: Beaverton, Oregon, USA | Incensepunk is another recent one I recently discovered. It describes books like Canticle for Leibowitz and Sisters of the Vast Black. |
|
| |
|
 Uber User
Posts: 893
 Location: The Wilds of Washington | Weesam - 2025-11-02 2:38 PM
Since I add a lot of fantasy books, I have found a few sub-genres I would like to have. Portal Fantasy, as already mentioned is a big one that is missing. Another that is becoming a thing more recently is Dark Academia.
I guess what you mean by portal is what the Japanese would call Isekai. Isekai translation: 'different world', 'another world', or 'other world', is a subgenre of Japanese fantasy and science fiction that revolves around a person or people who are transported to and have to survive in another world.
They use this subgerne by the gross ton & I put a lot of Isekai translations in.
|
|
| |
|
 Uber User
Posts: 893
 Location: The Wilds of Washington | &, of course, something that encompasses detective, crime solving, that sort of thing for multiple genres. The list of books for this attribute in SF and Fantasy is huge!
|
|
| |