open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The price we paid was the price men have always paid for achieving paradise in this life--we went soft, we lost our edge." Frank Herbert - Dune
- (Added by: Administrator)

Sorting Books I've Read by Date Added
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

walrii
Posted 2019-07-10 7:20 PM (#21142)
Subject: Sorting Books I've Read by Date Added

I was trying to remember a the name/author of a book I read a while back. It would be really helpful if I could sort the Books I've Read page by the date I added it to the list or some similar when I last read it date.

Thanks,
--the walrus

Edited by walrii 2019-07-10 7:21 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
b-rad
Posted 2022-01-12 2:40 PM (#23703 - in reply to #21142)
Subject: Re: Sorting Books I've Read by Date Added

New User

Well...I came to the forums hoping to find a way to sort the books read list by "read date" instead of alphabetical. I guess it's not possible, bummer. I was hoping to be able to view 2021 RYO list stats, which would show me what I've read in the last year but I guess they were completely wiped 01/01/22.

Is there any way for me to view this data some way?
Administrator
Posted 2022-01-12 5:51 PM (#23704 - in reply to #21142)
Subject: RE: Sorting Books I've Read by Date Added

Admin

walrii - 2019-07-10 7:20 PM I was trying to remember a the name/author of a book I read a while back. It would be really helpful if I could sort the Books I've Read page by the date I added it to the list or some similar when I last read it date. Thanks, --the walrus

Sorry for the long delay in replying. I missed this when you first posted.

Sorting and filtering are much needed on WWEnd at the moment. We have plans to add those features to the new 3.Oh! site that is in the works so I can at least tell you its coming if not when.

Right now we can give you a list by the order in which you tagged them as read. But of course that would completely random unless you took the trouble when you first signed up to tag your read books on lin the order in which you actually read them. That list would give you dozens tagged as read for any given day as you randomly thought of the books you've read and tagged them. Or you'd find all the books by one author tagged as read on the same day.

To make your sort request work we could add a date field to the book tagging so you can go back and enter the date you actually read the book (if you remember it) -- or at least let you put in an estimated date -- so that you could approximate your read order. You could forever get closer to the actual order by refining your read this book dates moving books back in forth in time while you insert other books your forgot you read into your timeline. Easy enough to do if you haven't read many books and are sufficiently motivated to satisfy your curiosity.

Are there enough members who would go to that trouble to make it worth the effort?

Administrator
Posted 2022-01-12 6:14 PM (#23705 - in reply to #23703)
Subject: Re: Sorting Books I've Read by Date Added

Admin

b-rad - 2022-01-12 2:40 PM Well...I came to the forums hoping to find a way to sort the books read list by "read date" instead of alphabetical. I guess it's not possible, bummer. I was hoping to be able to view 2021 RYO list stats, which would show me what I've read in the last year but I guess they were completely wiped 01/01/22. Is there any way for me to view this data some way?

Thanks for brining this tread to my attention. I answered your first desire for a "read date" sorted list above. I will say that i really like the idea of having that data to review. To see my whole genre reading history spread out in a precise time line would be interesting and I'm sure would present some real surprises along the way too.

I just can't imagine that I would actually go through the pain of trying to remember or research reading dates for the hundreds of books I've read. And if I got bored and gave up my partial list would be pretty much useless. And what would we display for the thousands of folks who would never bother doing that work? We'd have nothing to show them at all so i guess we'd have to display a message that says "you haven't entered the date you read your books so you don't get a result set."

But, now that you've got me thinking about it, you will be able to do that eventually. On WWEnd 3.Oh! you'll be able to make your own custom lists so you could use that feature to create your "b-rad's reading order list" -- you'd just have to fill your list starting with the first book you read and ending with the last book you read. Or I suppose you could go in the other order to show your most recent reads first.

As for last year's RYO, you can get your lists at the bottom of the current RYO. Scroll down to the bottom of 2022 and click on the logo for 2021. The drawer will open up to show you last year's challenges.

There are many upgrades for the RYO coming down the pipe and historical info display is among them. We have data from every RYO since 2014 so we'll be able to put it in a table or display of some kind so you can see your participation over the years.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)