open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The historic task of science fiction is to develop a global consciousness -- Margaret St. Clair, "Thoughts from My Seventies"
- (Added by: Scott Laz)

Our reads in Spooky October
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2022-09-30 3:18 PM (#25098)
Subject: Our reads in Spooky October

Elite Veteran

Dusty's TBR for October
SF/F genres
Roger Zelazny - A Night in the Lonesome October
C L Moore - Jirel of Joiry
Murray Leinster - First Contact
H P Lovecraft - The Outsider
Clark Ashton Smith - Dweller in the Gulf
Theodoe Sturgeon - It
Neil Gaiman - Coraline
David G Hartwell - selected stories from Dark Descent

from other genres
John Masefield - The Box of Delights
Georgette Heyer - The Convenient Marriage
Dennis E Taylor - Heaven' River
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2022-10-01 10:48 AM (#25099 - in reply to #25098)
Subject: Re: Our reads in Spooky October

Extreme Veteran

My intended reads for October:

The Elementals by Michael McDowell - for the Halloween Challenge
Reliquary by Preston and Child
Sands of Dune by Herbert and Anderson
Star Trek books
Kallocain by Karin Boye

Other Genres
The Wheel, the Horse and Language by David Anthony

Happy Halloween!
bazhsw
Posted 2022-10-01 3:26 PM (#25100 - in reply to #25099)

Regular

I have decided to pick up my Lovecraft anthology to finish, not sure if I will in October but it feels like the right month for it. I love his writing, and his influence but his problematic elements make it hard to read sometimes.

I am also hoping to finish a non-fiction book about the Italian film genre Giallo (a precursor to the slasher, typically suspense / psychological murder mysteries) so another good one for Halloween.

I am also picking up Ursula Le Guin's 'The Dispossessed' which isn't horror, but is something I have wanted to read for possibly 20 years and not got round to! Really looking forward to it

In the last week or two I also read 'The Reddening' by Adam Nevill and thought it was brilliant and a genuinely scary read for October (quite gory in places though...)
dustydigger
Posted 2022-10-02 4:57 PM (#25102 - in reply to #25100)

Elite Veteran

Read Clark Ashton Smith's definitely creepy The Dweller in the Gulf,an unusual blend of science fiction and horror,set on a Mars somewhat similar to C L Moore's Mars,and with hints of Edgar Rice Boroughs Barsoom,but we go down in the depths of the planet,where something horrifiically evil, has lived for eons.Its a strange mix of pulpy action clothed in ornate language. One expects a happy ending. Oh boy,forget that folks!
I am also reading the Jirel of Joiry tales of a warrior princess entering weird frightening places,pretty much a hell.
I cant imagine how the usual teenage boy readers took this sort of sorcery and planet tale,infused with emotion..Not sure if they understood that the name authorC L Moore hid a female author! There is surely a very different vibe from the normal style
I am also reading Roger Zelazny's fun A Night in the Lonesome October. Spooky October is off to a great start.
daxxh
Posted 2022-10-24 10:11 PM (#26004 - in reply to #25102)

Extreme Veteran

My Spooky October Reads -

The Elementals - for the Halloween Mini Challenge. I picked this one because I live near where this book takes place. Stay away from big, old houses on the beach!

Song of Susannah - my least favorite of the Dark Tower books.

Reliquary - sequel to Relics, which I liked better. This was still good. I like Pendergast and will keep reading these.

Sands of Dune - novellas in the Dune universe. I liked these.

Sea of Tranquility - not quite what I expected. I didn't think it lived up to all the hype. Still worth reading.

The Dark Tower - a fitting ending, as this was foreshadowed earlier in the series.

Also read the nonfiction book Uncultured and have started The Horse, the Wheel and Language, which is fascinating.

@Dusty- I read The Dweller in the Gulf last year (maybe the year before last) and thought it excellent. The ending was what made it so good.

Edited by daxxh 2022-10-24 10:16 PM
dustydigger
Posted 2022-10-31 4:45 PM (#26013 - in reply to #26004)

Elite Veteran

Finished most of my TBR this month because I have been quite ill the last two weeks,nothing to do in the long dark sleepless nights but do a bit reading,in short snatches.
I did my Night in the Lonesome October as usual for Halloween,great fun. I reread Gaiman's Coraline too,good stuff
John Masefield's 1935 juvenile fantasy The Box of Delights was charming,if very dated. I also read a couple of kindle unlimited bits of fluff,suitable for my rather lightweight fluffy brain,instantly forgettable.
Tonight for Halloween I listened to Christopher Lee's masterful reading of Poe's The Raven. To often readers of the poem emphasize the pounding driving rhyme,but Lee did a fine job of mitigating that a little,preventing it from falling almost into a comedy routine. Naturally I am thinking of a very amusing Simpsons' version with Homer as the grief stricken lover- not very - and Bart as the bird sitting above the door. Hilarious,but does tend to make keeping a straight face rather dificult.
Happy Halloween,people
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)