open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Conformity and rebellion...both ways are simple-minded--they are only for people who cannot cope with contradiction and ambiguity." - Neal Stephenson - The Diamond Age
- (Added by: Administrator)

Pick & Mix challenge 2022
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Engelbrecht
Posted 2022-12-11 1:07 AM (#26589 - in reply to #23638)
Subject: RE: Pick & Mix challenge 2022
Quote Reply

Uber User

Dusty,

Once again I've used your challenge to show my favorite reads of the year.  If I had to boil things to just a single favorite, it would be a tough choice between Jade Legacy and Venomous Lumpsucker (great title, isn't it?!?!).

Sorry to hear about your continuing vision problems - I hope things get resolved quickly.

I noticed that you read The Exploits of Engelbrecht - glad you liked it!

Hope you have some great holidays coming up!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2022-12-15 1:13 PM (#26613 - in reply to #26589)
Subject: Re: Pick & Mix challenge 2022
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Hi Engelbrecht,nice to see you for your yearly visit! . As usual I havent even heard of most of your list.I see that lately you have been doing a dive into Tarzan books,rereads I assume. I am going to do mostly pre 1960s books next year,filling in gaps of books by authors such as Poul Anderson,Clifford D Simak, Lewis Padgett,as one,plus as Kuttner and Moore, J G Ballard,Pohl and Kornbluth and a host of other good old early stuff,mostly pulpy,but great fun. I also want to get back into reading urban fantasy. But it will be a year of self indulgence,not much delving into modern award winners. I'll be 75 in January,and I am going to just enjoy myself in the good old days. I am not really happy with the most modern stuff and styles to be honest,so a year of pulp and fluff will be fun!
Yes,Exploits of Engelbrecht was great fun,and it was your lovely avatar that attracted me to it in the first place.
Best wishes for another bumper pile of books to grab your attention in 2023. My amount of reading is lower than it used to be,but I still managed my 80 Pick N Mix target,but I have stalled at 91/100 of my Books Read in 2022 challenge. I've been reading far too many self published books which are not counted in my WWEnd tally. What with sorting Xmas,and Mr Dusty having spent the whole of this month glued to the World Cup,reading has been a bit difficult to say the least. lol.
dustydigger
Posted 2022-12-29 5:23 PM (#26641 - in reply to #23638)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Well,here we are,end of another year,and as is usual in the last few years I hesitate on starting anew,this time,unbelievably,year ten!. I had a very poor year healthwise,midsummer it seemed very likely I had pancreatic cancer,with a 90% death rate within a year. After tests and scans the following month waiting for results was traumatic to say the least. Fortunately it was only a scare,but what with diabetes,hypothyroidism,pernicious anaemia,my arthritis decided to over grow spinal bone,causing irritation to the chord and pretty constant pain,so sitting at a computer can be a bit fraught at times. I pretty much gave up on the thread mid year and have done very little here. The participation too was way down. I think I got about 5 posts of people in the whole year!. And disappointingly books read by Pick N Mixers dropped by over 200 books from the year below,the lowest for years I think. So I was very close to closing the challenge.
But as usual I dont want to do that. I enjoy posting at least a few of my reads on here.
For 2 years the anaemia caused mental fog and depression,but I think I am finally coming out of it. The packing my body with nice red blood cells has finally made some progress in making me less weak,less brainfogged,less gasping for breath.A side bonus the last couple of months is less inflammation of my bones,actually typing posts is a bit easier.
So I have decided to do probably one last year with this challenge. I will be 75 next month,so ill health is likely to be progressive. I'll take advantage of my seeming remission of various illnesses to post my reads.
I have loved this website since i fell into it by accident summer of 2012. What a huge number of fabulous books I have enjoyed,and I so enjoy looking through the lists of other challengers,often having surprising or intriguing titles brought to my notice.
I hope you will all join me for another year. And who knows,maybe this time next year I will once again be hesitating then deciding to the challenge another year. You never know.......
ScoLgo
Posted 2022-12-29 7:01 PM (#26643 - in reply to #26641)
Quote Reply

Regular

dustydigger - 2022-12-29 3:23 PM

The participation too was way down. I think I got about 5 posts of people in the whole year!. And disappointingly books read by Pick N Mixers dropped by over 200 books from the year below,the lowest for years I think.

Very sorry to hear about your ongoing health challenges. I hope you continue to improve and that you are able to read to your heart's content in 2023.

It's true that my own participation in Pick & Mix was less in 2022. That is not due to the challenge itself though. It is because I participated in a number of other challenges - and I am one of those strange creatures that tries very hard to not have too much overlap between challenges. So, instead of doing my usual 20 Pick & Mix books, I did 10. Overall, my reading was down for the year, but 2021 was a high-water mark for me with 106 books read so I didn't really expect to match it this year. I did manage 89 in 2022 - which is pretty good for me.

At any rate, thank you for keeping the Pick & Mix going for (at least) one more year.
dustydigger
Posted 2022-12-31 12:37 PM (#26657 - in reply to #23638)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Hi ScoLgo. I think 2022 was a distracted year in reading for most people. Less covid restrictions ment more social activity,and a long hot summer sent everyone off to toast their bodies!
But you managed 89 books,brilliant!.You are catching up with me on the awards lists,as I have had a really poor year reading top quality stuff. Must cut down on the rubbish.lol.
I usually start off doing my Pick N Mix at 40 books,and then extend it if I am doing well. So target 10 books to start with,and see how it goes.
In the early days I used to do about a dozen different challenges,but I wasnt running several groups on different websites,and I read 30-40 pages an hour,could whizz through 20 books or more a month. ...Those were the days.......
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)