open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Each of us holds within us the power to destroy something important. - Project Itoh (Harmony)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Poll Award Poll: Help us pick the next award WWEnd covers!
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Award Poll: Help us pick the next award WWEnd covers!
OptionResults
Andre Norton
Aurealis SF
Aurealis Fantasy
Bram Stoker YA
David Gemmel Legend Award
The Kitschies Golden Tentacle & Red Tentacle
Locus 1st Novel
Prometheus
Sidewise
Tiptree
This is a multiple choice poll.

Administrator
Posted 2014-04-27 2:28 PM (#7369)
Subject: Award Poll: Help us pick the next award WWEnd covers!

Admin

Right now WWEnd covers 14 major awards in genre fiction and we're just scratching the surface.  There are plenty more awards where those came from and, in fact, we have identified a list of over 30 that we want to include.  These 30+ cover a lot of ground, figuratively and literally, with different genres, themes and geographic regions to consider.  And of course each award has it's own advantages and disadvantages to think about. So, how do we pick which one to do next?

That's where you, and this poll, come in.  Rather than us pick the next one ourselves we thought it would be fun to give our members a voice in the selection.  Now 30+ is just too big a number for a poll so we whittled it down to 10 almost random picks from the list to put in the poll.  I say almost because some of these have been requested before and some are ones we'd like to see soon ourselves because they will help improve WWEnd's coverage.  And yes, there are a couple newer awards that we know we can turn around pretty fast.  Hey, who doesn't like a quick win once in a while?

Now I know what you're thinking.  How am I doing to pick just one when there are so many I really want to see?  Not a problem.  This is a multi-select poll so you can pick your 3 favorites!  (The poll software will actually let you pick as many as you want but we ask that you restrict yourself to just 3.)  We'll let this poll run to the end of the week and then our Uber Users will work on filling in the missing books and authors so we can launch the new award.  After the new one is up we'll run another poll to pick the next and so on down the line until we run out.  We'll mix some "best of" lists into the poll as we go along too.

So here are the 10 awards with links to their sites so you can research the ones you're not familiar with.  The text after each name is just shorthand for what the award is for and is not a complete picture.  Please do look at the awards sites before you cast your votes.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
spoltz
Posted 2014-04-27 5:38 PM (#7376 - in reply to #7369)
Subject: Re: Award Poll: Help us pick the next award WWEnd covers!

Uber User

Hey Dave,

I don't think the limit to 3 function is working on this poll
spoltz
Posted 2014-04-27 5:39 PM (#7377 - in reply to #7369)
Subject: Re: Award Poll: Help us pick the next award WWEnd covers!

Uber User

Sorry, I just realized that it doesn't have a limit to 3 function. Ugh
HRO
Posted 2014-05-05 3:59 PM (#7521 - in reply to #7369)
Subject: RE: Award Poll: Help us pick the next award WWEnd covers!

Uber User

Administrator - 2014-04-27 3:28 PM

We'll let this poll run to the end of the week...

Um, and which week would that be? It's been 9 days.

(me = impatient)

Administrator
Posted 2014-05-06 11:39 PM (#7538 - in reply to #7521)
Subject: RE: Award Poll: Help us pick the next award WWEnd covers!

Admin

HRO - 2014-05-05 3:59 PM
Administrator - 2014-04-27 3:28 PM We'll let this poll run to the end of the week...
Um, and which week would that be? It's been 9 days. (me = impatient)

Well, it looks like Tiptree ran away with it as expected so it's now the next award we'll be covering.  We have a plan to handle the odd short story noms on the list and we expect to get that coded next week.  I believe all the books that could be put in have been put in and it just remains for us to get the missing authors added so that out Uber Users can fill in the books.  To that end we should be able to finish up the author add/edit piece by the end of next week so we can get all those holes filled.

After that we'll have to make the page, fill in the awards table in the database and update a few other bits to make the award work.  I'll be out of town the rest of the week on business but we'll hit this hard next week.  If all goes well we should have this award up and running in a couple weeks and certainly by the end of the month.

Thanks everyone for voting!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)