open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - J.R.R. Tolkien
- (Added by: Administrator)

2013 Nebula Awards
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-05-18 8:40 AM (#7715)
Subject: 2013 Nebula Awards

Uber User

Just announced last night. Ancillary Justice does it again! This is a poor year for nominees so the quality of Anne Leckie's book really stands out. This puts a lot of pressure on the second book in the series.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2014-05-18 10:39 AM (#7716 - in reply to #7715)
Subject: RE: 2013 Nebula Awards

Admin

justifiedsinner - 2014-05-18 8:40 AM Just announced last night. Ancillary Justice does it again! This is a poor year for nominees so the quality of Anne Leckie's book really stands out. This puts a lot of pressure on the second book in the series.

Pretty impressive showing for Anne Leckie thus far.  I watched the live stream of the event and it was pretty cool... after some initial technical difficulties were overcome.  I'll update the Nebula list now.

DrNefario
Posted 2014-05-19 7:32 AM (#7732 - in reply to #7715)
Subject: Re: 2013 Nebula Awards

Uber User

I thought the Nebula was quite a strong shortlist. I've heard good things about the Neil Gaiman, Sofia Samatar, Nicola Griffith and Helen Wecker books, although I admit Ancillary Justice is the only one I've actually read. It's good that it's getting some recognition if it's going to be denied its rightful Hugo. (I'm half-kidding. I haven't read many of the Hugo noms, either. I just felt that AJ was a popular favourite rather than a literary favourite, so I would kind of have expected it to take the Hugo, and maybe not the Clarke, say.)
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-05-19 7:59 AM (#7733 - in reply to #7715)

Uber User

DrN., I thought the Gaiman was good but not as good as his previous adult winners. I'm reading the Wecker and Samatar for RYO challenges, so I'll weigh in with reviews. II guess I should try to squeeze AJ in soon as well.
Rhonda
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-05-19 9:59 AM (#7735 - in reply to #7715)

Uber User

When I said that it was a poor crop of nominees I was thinking of all the awards in general (and the Hugo in particular). Other than Leckie and Hurley the Clarke nominees were weak and even in the Nebula I've heard good things about Wecker, Hild is supposed to be good but is really an historic novel and the others haven't created much buzz.
Leckie is up for Locus First Novel and is probably favorite for that.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-05-21 5:53 PM (#7768 - in reply to #7715)

Uber User

IIRC Sofia Samatar's Stranger in Olondria is her debut novel, so it would make sense that it's not generating a ton of buzz. And I think Karen Joy Fowler is a literary crossover so of course she'd receive less attention, being generally unknown to SFF fandom.

(I could be wrong about either of these. But they in addition to Hild are what I'm most excited for besides AJ.)
DrNefario
Posted 2014-05-22 7:54 AM (#7775 - in reply to #7715)

Uber User

Yes, Ancillary Justice, Stranger in Olondria and The Golem and the Jinni are all up for the Locus First Novel award, which is (I guess) why they don't appear in the other categories, and makes it possibly the strongest of the Locus shortlists. The one we don't have on WWE yet.
illegible_scribble
Posted 2014-07-02 5:53 AM (#8054 - in reply to #7735)

Uber User

Having read Fowler's We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, I would say calling it SFF is a big stretch. I enjoyed it -- but I really don't think it's SFF.

I don't think it was necessarily a weak year, but I think that a lot of good prospects, such as Andy Weir's The Martian, got overlooked.

I've enjoyed other KSR books, but I'm utterly mystified as to how Shaman garnered a nomination. 

Edited by illegible_scribble 2014-07-02 5:55 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)