open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance." - Ray Bradbury
- (Added by: Administrator)

2015 Hugo Awards Discussion
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Kata
Posted 2015-04-16 12:42 PM (#10152 - in reply to #10143)
Subject: Re: 2015 Hugo Awards Discussion

This is so,so sad! I've read all but one of the Hugo winners (which I couldn't find anywhere.) I read books that I would not have otherwise read. I learned about authors I might not have discovered. I felt good about reading all the winners. I had felt that the Hugo winner represented who we were at a particular point so that future generations would know a little bit about us, like little time capsules. It is like our heart has been stolen.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
pizzakarin
Posted 2015-04-16 12:51 PM (#10153 - in reply to #10152)

Veteran

Just curious...which one couldn't you find? I haven't read them all, but I've collected all the Hugo winners in print and The Big Time was my unicorn. I got down to that one and refused to buy it online and then a new used book store opened near me and there it was. I'm pretty sure I made the girliest excited squeal when I found it.
Kata
Posted 2015-04-16 1:01 PM (#10154 - in reply to #9299)

The Forever Machine 1955 Winner
illegible_scribble
Posted 2015-04-16 3:57 PM (#10156 - in reply to #10152)

Uber User

Kata - 2015-04-17 5:42 AM

This is so,so sad! I've read all but one of the Hugo winners (which I couldn't find anywhere.) I read books that I would not have otherwise read. I learned about authors I might not have discovered. I felt good about reading all the winners. I had felt that the Hugo winner represented who we were at a particular point so that future generations would know a little bit about us, like little time capsules. It is like our heart has been stolen.

That's pretty much the way I feel; you've described it beautifully.

Kata - 2015-04-17 6:01 AM

The Forever Machine 1955 Winner

The 1955 winner was actually They'd Rather Be Right, which can be obtained in ebook form for 99 cents here.

The Forever Machine is a collection consisting of They'd Rather Be Right with its two prequel stories, Crazy Joey and Hide! Hide! Witch!. If you're a completist and wish to own a physical edition, the paperback can be had for $8.95.

Interestingly, They'd Rather Be Right is widely regarded as the worst book to ever win a Hugo Award.

justifiedsinner
Posted 2015-04-17 7:32 AM (#10162 - in reply to #9299)

Uber User

Mark Kloos novel has been replaced by Cixin Liu's Three Body Problem in the Hugo nominations. The ballot has now been sent to the printer.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2015-04-17 7:33 AM (#10164 - in reply to #10156)

Uber User

@illegible-scribble They are right, it is the worst and there are a few stinkers in there.
UseOfWeapons
Posted 2015-04-20 9:21 AM (#10204 - in reply to #10070)

New User

Rhondak101 - 2015-04-07 4:06 AM

So in light of a less-diverse Hugo slate (for the foreseeable future), I think the Tiptrees are a must for this site.
Rhonda

I agree - I'd really like to see the Tiptrees on here too. (and also have the BFS Awards sorted out - both the Derleth and Holdstock).
I can't add anything about the Hugos that hasn't been said better already, but I can recommend the 2015 Clarke list - it's about as diverse as it gets and the first time I saw it I thought "I'll HAVE to read all of those!".
valashain
Posted 2015-04-20 2:41 PM (#10210 - in reply to #9299)

Uber User

Tiptree is a nightmare for the site though. It combines short stories and novels and we're not really equipped to handle that right now. Same with the Ditmar. That one is, if possible even worse. Someday though....
specficwriter
Posted 2015-04-21 10:15 AM (#10221 - in reply to #9299)

I'm not sure what all the hullabaloo is about. The "Sad Puppies" didn't do anything more or less than GRRM and other authors have done for years. They suggested authors/works they thought deserved a vote, the rest was up to voters to nominate or not. I've seen GRRM do that for years.

DrNefario
Posted 2015-04-21 10:36 AM (#10222 - in reply to #9299)

Uber User

That's not really true. They put forward a complete, pre-canned voting package. If it had just been a recommendation list it would have been completely fine, and would probably have had more than five entries in each category. There is a difference between saying what you liked and asking people to vote for a specific set of works for reasons barely related to their quality, and even if there weren't I don't see how objecting to the Puppies' tactics means we don't also object to GRRM's, it just means that he never made enough of a difference for it to be a problem.

If you want to prove that your horses are the best horses, you can't do that by running a race where only your horses take part.
specficwriter
Posted 2015-04-21 10:53 AM (#10223 - in reply to #9299)

So, your complaint is that they either nominated too many (a complete slate) or too few (not more than 5 in each category)? I'm sorry that doesn't make any sense. There is no way to see their "slate" as anything other than suggestions, unless you are just looking for a reason to complain.
specficwriter
Posted 2015-04-21 11:01 AM (#10224 - in reply to #9299)

As far as seeing who has the best horse, are you suggesting they should have recommended books they didn't like? Again, that doesn't make sense. I doubt GRRM or anyone else who made suggestions, put forward books they didn't enjoy.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2015-04-21 11:56 AM (#10228 - in reply to #9299)

Uber User

I think it's a reasonable assumption that a lot of the voters for the Puppy lists didn't read a lot of the works nominated but voted for them for political reasons.
specficwriter
Posted 2015-04-21 1:41 PM (#10229 - in reply to #9299)

I'm not sure how anyone could "know" that. But even if some "Puppies" didn't read every book they nominated, do you really believe that wasn't happening already? There is/was no way to force people read the books they nominated before or now. If George Martin recommended a book, it is just as likely someone who liked him would nominate that book as it is for one of these "Puppies" to choose a book from their list to nominate.
illegible_scribble
Posted 2015-04-21 4:24 PM (#10230 - in reply to #10221)

Uber User

specficwriter - 2015-04-22 3:15 AM

I'm not sure what all the hullabaloo is about. The "Sad Puppies" didn't do anything more or less than GRRM and other authors have done for years. They suggested authors/works they thought deserved a vote, the rest was up to voters to nominate or not. I've seen GRRM do that for years.

This is a false equivalency, one the Sad Puppies have been trying to spread all over the net. The usual claim is that Scalzi and Stross have been doing the same thing for years. I've debunked that above, so now you've switched to claiming that GRRM does it. This is also a false equivalency. Here are GRRM's posts with this year's recommendations: 

For Your Consideration: Stuff By Me
For Your Consideration: Stuff Not By Me

Here's what he's recommended:

Novel: lists 1 suggestion
Dramatic Presentation, Long Form: lists 1 eligible series and 3 eligible films
Dramatic Presentation, Short Form: lists 5 favorite GoT episodes, plus 6 other TV shows
Editor, Short Form: lists 5 eligible people
Professional Artist: lists 6 eligible people
Fan Writer: lists 1 eligible person

This is not a slate. This is not anything even remotely similar to what the Puppies did this year, which requested supporters to vote an entire slate "to stick it to the Social Justice Warriors".

SAD PUPPIES 3: the 2015 Hugo slate
Rabid Puppies 2015

Notice the word "slate". Not "recommendations", not "suggestions". SLATE.

And several Puppies around the web have even admitted that that is exactly what it's intended to be, an attempt to stuff the nominating ballot. Here's an example from one of the slate members who is listed for Related Work:

Ken Burnside on 2015-02-03 at 12:22:24 said:

I understand the hesitancy of being anyone’s “political bludgeon.”

As this is the “make sure these titles get on the WorldCon ballot” phase, the odds of you getting a Campbell, or me getting a Hugo for “The Hot Equations” is slim. I doubt that anyone can read much of a political context into Hot Equations; if anything you can argue that it’s a fairly thorough evisceration and deconstruction of some SFnal tropes.

This seems to be the “in thing” in some circles, though it doesn’t delve into the tone-poems of existential angst informing the reader of the hopeless oppression of nonseptunary polyphase-fluidic gendered androids. And their love of dinosaurs. (You only recognize four genders? You sexist fascist, you.)

If you wish to make a case for anything different, you're going to have to provide actual examples, rather than making the usual vague Puppy handwavery claims.

I await this with bated breath. I have not yet seen anywhere where a Puppy has been able to provide legitimate specific examples of their spurious claims.

specficwriter
Posted 2015-04-21 5:13 PM (#10236 - in reply to #9299)

Your "argument" here is no more coherent than the one in your earlier post. Just because they "suggested" more works than Martin or various other people around the web then they are in the wrong? Surely you see the fallacies in that. So you are then obviously being purposefully obtuse in order to make your case.

The main complaint that people seem to have with the "Puppies" is that they were successful.

As far as researching what every person calling themselves a "Puppy" on the internet has to say about this, well I don't have the time or the desire to do so. What one or even dozens of people say they did on the internet does not have any real bearing on the intent of the "Puppies".
illegible_scribble
Posted 2015-04-21 5:31 PM (#10240 - in reply to #10236)

Uber User

specficwriter - 2015-04-22 10:13 AM

Your "argument" here is no more coherent than the one in your earlier post. Just because they "suggested" more works than Martin or various other people around the web then they are in the wrong? Surely you see the fallacies in that. So you are then obviously being purposefully obtuse in order to make your case.

My argument is quite coherent, and you have not provided anything concrete to counter it. I certainly see the fallacies in your claims. The Puppies did not "suggest" more works than Martin. They set up a slate, and they encouraged supporters to nominate it wholesale. Suggestions were taken in an earlier thread; but strangely, most of those suggestions never made it onto the slate, and the slate includes a significant number of entries which did not appear in the suggestion thread. In other words, the slate was drawn up with significant disregard for the suggestions which had been solicited supposedly in order to create it.

Why weren't all the suggestions included on the slate? Why were a bunch of non-suggested entries added in? Why were the categories on the slate limited to no more than the number of positions available on the ballot?

The main complaint that people seem to have with the "Puppies" is that they were successful.

No, the main complaint is that the Puppies gamed the nomination system to stack the ballot. What they did was legal -- but it was certainly not ethical.

Hugo nominators/ voters have been well aware for a long time that it was possible for the system to be gamed this way -- but they have deliberately chosen not to do so, because letting everyone have their say, and getting a genuinely wide range of nominations, was the goal. The reason the Hugos have been widely regarded as The preeminent Spec Fic award for many years is not because absolutely everyone who reads spec fic has nominated and voted. The Hugos have attained that high regard because the people who were nominating and voting were extremely conscientious about not gaming the system. While not perfect, it has worked well up to this point because the vast majority of participants operated in good faith.

The Puppies have deliberately chosen to destroy that integrity and conscientiousness.

As far as researching what every person calling themselves a "Puppy" on the internet has to say about this, well I don't have the time or the desire to do so. What one or even dozens of people say they did on the internet does not have any real bearing on the intent of the "Puppies".

Of course you don't have time to go find real examples of the claims you have made, because the claims you have made are false and you don't have any real examples to provide.

What the Puppies themselves say (as I quoted above) about the intent of the slate certainly does have a bearing on the intent of the Puppies.

specficwriter
Posted 2015-04-21 5:45 PM (#10241 - in reply to #9299)

I'm not sure what fallacy in my "claims" you are referring to, since I haven't made any claims that aren't factual. Other authors, etc on the internet have made Hugo suggestions on the internet for YEARS. No one gets all bent out of shape until someone does it successfully.

The only way anyone can make the claims that you are making is by jumping to conclusions and extrapolating (incorrectly) on a very few data points of so-called "puppies" who make outrageous posts.

No, what random people on the internet calling themselves puppies does NOT have a bearing on the original intent. That is just grasping at straws.

With that, I'm out of this conversation. You repeating the same, wrong talking points does not change the facts.
illegible_scribble
Posted 2015-04-21 6:09 PM (#10242 - in reply to #10241)

Uber User

specficwriter - 2015-04-22 10:45 AM

I'm not sure what fallacy in my "claims" you are referring to, since I haven't made any claims that aren't factual.

You only get to say your claims are factual if you can provide evidence to back them up. You have provided no such evidence. Therefore, your claims are not "facts", they are claims -- and spurious ones, at that.

Other authors, etc on the internet have made Hugo suggestions on the internet for YEARS. No one gets all bent out of shape until someone does it successfully.

People are "bent out of shape" because the Puppies gamed the system. You may call this "success". I call it reprehensible.

The only way anyone can make the claims that you are making is by jumping to conclusions and extrapolating (incorrectly) on a very few data points of so-called "puppies" who make outrageous posts. No, what random people on the internet calling themselves puppies does NOT have a bearing on the original intent. That is just grasping at straws. With that, I'm out of this conversation. You repeating the same, wrong talking points does not change the facts.

I've provided real, actual data points and facts. This is not "jumping to conclusions". It is evidence which supports my statements.

People who appear on the Puppies slate are not "random people on the internet calling themselves Puppies". They are Puppies. And what they say does speak to the Puppies' intent.

"Talking Points" are statements made with no facts to back them up. That is what you have been doing. Thanks for pointing out the vacuousness of your own statements.

Engelbrecht
Posted 2015-04-21 7:47 PM (#10243 - in reply to #10221)

Uber User

specficwriter - 2015-04-21 8:15 AM I'm not sure what all the hullabaloo is about. The "Sad Puppies" didn't do anything more or less than GRRM and other authors have done for years. They suggested authors/works they thought deserved a vote, the rest was up to voters to nominate or not. I've seen GRRM do that for years.

The putative reason for specficwriter's original post was to gain some understanding of why people were unhappy with the Sad Puppies and their methods.

Several posters then responded with substantive explanations laying out their concerns. At this point, the appropriate response would have been something along the lines of "Oh, I see now, thanks." or "I disagree with your thinking, but now I have a better understanding of why there is a hullabaloo." Instead, specficwriter is dismissive of people's concerns and starts arguing with them.

There is a word for this sort of behavior, and that word is trolling.

illegible_scribble
Posted 2015-04-21 8:04 PM (#10244 - in reply to #10243)

Uber User

Engelbrecht - 2015-04-22 12:47 PM

The putative reason for specficwriter's original post was to gain some understanding of why people were unhappy with the Sad Puppies and their methods.

Several posters then responded with substantive explanations laying out their concerns. At this point, the appropriate response would have been something along the lines of "Oh, I see now, thanks." or "I disagree with your thinking, but now I have a better understanding of why there is a hullabaloo." Instead, specficwriter is dismissive of people's concerns and starts arguing with them.

There is a word for this sort of behavior, and that word is trolling.

The Puppy minions have been doing this on posts all over Facebook and in comments on blog posts all over the Internet. They pop in, act as if they are disinterested observers trying to figure out what's going on, and drop in all of their spurious claims and Talking Points in the hope that no one reading has any idea what's going on and will be gullible enough to buy into their nonsense without bothering to check into it.

Puppies are severely allergic to logic, facts, and evidence. When you use these on them, they have no intellectual defenses. They break out into a bad case of hives and run away. 

Badseedgirl
Posted 2015-04-21 9:39 PM (#10247 - in reply to #9299)

Uber User

My problem with this entire "Sad puppy" deal is I read an articlewhere the leader of the. group said if voters vote no award given they would see to it the award would never be awarded again. That is holding the award hostage. I will have to. go out and find the article and post it here.
illegible_scribble
Posted 2015-04-21 9:49 PM (#10248 - in reply to #10247)

Uber User

Badseedgirl - 2015-04-22 2:39 PM

My problem with this entire "Sad puppy" deal is I read an article where the leader of the group said if voters vote no award given they would see to it the award would never be awarded again. That is holding the award hostage. I will have to  go out and find the article and post it here.

It's here, in a comment on File770.

My take on it is that reports of VD's omnipotence have been greatly exaggerated. The Puppy attention span isn't that long (GamerGate is already dying a slow death), and a very large number of people who love spec fic and who genuinely care about the integrity and future of the Hugos have now been roused from their slumber.

It's all very much a bunch of spoilt, infantile brats throwing a big tantrum because everyone else won't just hand over all their toys, isn't it?

DrNefario
Posted 2015-04-22 7:47 AM (#10266 - in reply to #10223)

Uber User

specficwriter - 2015-04-21 4:53 PM

So, your complaint is that they either nominated too many (a complete slate) or too few (not more than 5 in each category)? I'm sorry that doesn't make any sense. There is no way to see their "slate" as anything other than suggestions, unless you are just looking for a reason to complain.

I don't know exactly how many works were nominated in each category by the Puppy slates. I'm not very interested in visiting their sites to find out. I'm pretty sure it was no more than 5 in each category, and I believe the RP slate filled in a lot of the gaps that the SP slate left. They did not recommend everything they liked - otherwise how could they have replaced items which were removed? - they recommended just enough to stuff the ballot and shout down other voices.

Their "suggestions" came with political spin which encouraged people to vote for them without caring whether they were good, to stick it to the imaginary SJW cabal.

Really, any process that leaves us with a poor set of shortlists is bad, in my opinion. Whether it's "fair" or not. The objective of the system has not been achieved.

Maybe the problem is me. Maybe my vision of the field is now marginal. I don't see how that is going to make me any happier with the shortlists. The fact that plenty of other people feel the same way I do suggests that it's not me who is marginal.

Edited by DrNefario 2015-04-22 7:49 AM
Scott Laz
Posted 2015-04-27 3:45 PM (#10324 - in reply to #9299)
Subject: RE: 2015 Hugo Awards Discussion

Uber User

Just catching up on the forums after being buried in work for the last few months. I’m very glad to see that this debacle has increased awareness of how the Hugo works and the importance of the nominating process. The hope is that more people will get involved, so that such tactics become less likely to succeed in the future. I’ll be voting “no award” in some categories, but there are three novels on the ballot that IMO could be worthy winners (which is actually not unusually low, based on past shortlists), so they’ll move up the reading list. For a good discussion/review of the novel nominees, see this week’s Coode Street podcast!

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)