open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Where there are lies there cannot be freedom. -- H.G. Wells (Men Like Gods)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2007-10-09 2:25 PM (#1111)
Subject: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Admin

so with the release of Blade Runner: The Final Cut just around the corner (12/18/07) i've been considering reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.  i'm a huge Blade Runner fan (who isn't?) but i've never read the original.

is it worth the effort?  will reading the book spoil the movie for someone who's only familiar with the latter?  the general rule of thumb is that the book is always better than the movie but Blade Runner is so iconic now.  not sure that holds in this case.  i'm so familiar with the movie version that i'm actually concerned the book will disappoint!

i'm looking forward to the movie release and it seems a good time to read androids to whet my appetite.  i'm going to get the briefcase super-duper deluxe collectors edition.  anybody else talking to Santa about this one?

- dave

Top of the page Bottom of the page
christopherw277
Posted 2007-10-11 1:15 PM (#1114 - in reply to #1111)
Subject: RE: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Extreme Veteran

Yes indeed.

There's a great article here on the movie as well...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-ca-blade30sep30,1,4025561.story?coll=la-entnews-movies&ctrack=1&cset=true

...but somehow reminiscing about the movie only makes me hungrier to go back and read the 1968 vision as PKD set it down, himself....

Deven Science
Posted 2007-10-11 1:19 PM (#1115 - in reply to #1111)
Subject: RE: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Uber User

I found very few similarities between the two. So few, in fact, that it's easy for me to recognize each version as two different entities. As such, I can appreciate each one without comparison to the other.
Administrator
Posted 2007-10-11 11:34 PM (#1117 - in reply to #1111)
Subject: Re: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Admin

well, we watched the director's cut last night and i'm definitely going to read the original now. just love that movie. i know a lot of people knock it for the slow pacing but i love it. i was a little distracted looking for all the flaws i had read they had fixed for the final cut tho. never noticed the hand on Batty's shoulder when he's in the phone booth! it was like where's waldo as i checked them off my list.

- dave
icowrich
Posted 2008-02-06 10:34 PM (#1308 - in reply to #1117)
Subject: Re: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Admin

Warning: there are many elements in that short story that end up in AI, which you found rather repulsive.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)