open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "On the whole human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time." - George Orwell
- (Added by: Administrator)

Elizabeth Bear
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> AuthorsMessage format

Bormgans
Posted 2015-06-19 4:48 AM (#10819)
Subject: Elizabeth Bear

Regular

In which order should I best read The Edda of Burdens-series? Publication date or chronologically plot wise?

So, should I read By The Mountain of Blood before All The Windwracked Stars, or after? 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2015-06-19 8:54 AM (#10821 - in reply to #10819)
Subject: RE: Elizabeth Bear

Admin

bleebs - 2015-06-19 4:48 AM  In which order should I best read The Edda of Burdens-series? Publication date or chronologically plot wise?

So, should I read By The Mountain of Blood before All The Windwracked Stars, or after?

I'm not familiar with that particular series but I think it's best to read any series in the publication order.  I like to take that tour of discovery as it was created.

There is also the idea that an author hones his/her craft over time and I'd rather read the weaker/less mature works first and move on to what should be better written books.  In some cases an author will re-visit a series after many years and insert a new book into the middle of the run.  You could end up reading a book written written 10 years after the previous volume then go back to the next book in the series from a decade before.

Edda of Burdens is a trilogy with only 3 years between the first and last book so it may not be a big deal.

Just my 2 cents.

valashain
Posted 2015-06-19 9:19 AM (#10822 - in reply to #10821)
Subject: Re: Elizabeth Bear

Uber User

I have read them and I think you should definitely read them in publication order. Bear wrote them that way on purpose. She assumes in the second book (By the Mountain Bound) that you will recognize characters from the first.

Second is a challenging read btw. She switches between past en present and first and third person a lot. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Edited by valashain 2015-06-19 9:20 AM
Bormgans
Posted 2015-06-19 1:23 PM (#10824 - in reply to #10822)
Subject: Re: Elizabeth Bear

Regular

<p>I read some people in Amazon reviews that stated the reverse, but I trust Valashain's opinion more Thanks! </p><p> Dave, you're absolutely right in trying to save the best for last. I tend to do this to if I'm hooked on an author, although I usually go straight for the works that are in highest regard for authors I don't know yet...</p>

Edited by bleebs 2015-06-19 1:24 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)