open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Fear and anger, Yoda had often warned him, were slaves to the dark side. Vaguely, Luke wondered which side curiosity served. - Timothy Zahn (Heir to the Empire)
- (Added by: devilinlaw)

Red Dwarf: Backwards
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Deven Science
Posted 2007-10-23 1:24 PM (#1155)
Subject: Red Dwarf: Backwards

Uber User

I'm currently reading Backwards, by Rob Grant. I read the first two Red Dwarf novels years ago, and I've never seen the show, but I found this one in my favorite used book store, and picked it up. It's pretty good so far, but it's been so long since I read the others, that I've forgotten any frame of reference for the characters. They don't actually do a great job of writing it in such a way as to welcome new readers, so that I'm playing catch up as I'm reading it. That's it's only real fault, though, as it's very funny and clever. Some of the chapters take place on a "backwards" Earth, that is to say, time runs in reverse of normal for us. The writer is very clever in dealing with it, and thought out all of the aspects and implications of it quite well. The nightmare of wastes being sucked back into you (a nightmare for an outsider who isn't used to it, as is the case with our main characters), and vomiting up meat, chewing it back whole, and spitting it back onto the bone are just a sample of the visuals that the author deals with. I'm about halfway through the book, but so far, I'm very entertained.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2007-10-23 2:17 PM (#1156 - in reply to #1155)
Subject: RE: Red Dwarf: Backwards

Admin

The nightmare of wastes being sucked back into you...

egads!  that is a nightmare.  definitely prefer the way we do things on this earth.

i've not read the books, indeed i was unaware there were any books, but i like the show alright.  i'm surprised that you've not seen it.  i'm curious how it compares to the books.  it seems to me that most people either love it or hate it tho i find myself on the fence.  if i'm in the right mood i can enjoy it otherwise it just falls a bit flat for me.

there was even an aborted attempt to do an "American" version that's truly awful.  they made a pilot and it mercifully died on the vine.  you can find it on you tube if you want to suffer as i have.

- dave

Deven Science
Posted 2007-10-23 2:51 PM (#1157 - in reply to #1156)
Subject: RE: Red Dwarf: Backwards

Uber User

After checking with the Wikipedia entry, it was the show that came first, much to my surprise. I see in Backwards many elements as described as the series plot. Ace Rimmer is in there, as is Kryten, among other references. I also see that it is the fourth book, so that there is one more that I haven't spotted yet, the third one. I haven't tried to watch the show, for mainly one reason: British humor. Sometimes, I get it. I love, love Douglas Adams books, even the Dirk Gentley series. But the bulk of the time, British humor misses for me. I just scratch my head, and shrug. The next statement is going to get me lynched, but I've never been a fan of Monte Python, either. I've loved much of what the actors have gone on to do, but I just cringe at the little bit of MP that I've seen. For me then, it's obvious, I enjoy British humor on paper, but on the screen, not so much.
Administrator
Posted 2007-10-23 3:26 PM (#1158 - in reply to #1155)
Subject: Re: Red Dwarf: Backwards

Admin

british television in general is very hit or miss with me. i love Monty Python, but can certainly see why you don't care for it. i don't really like Faulty Towers tho which leaves my friends a bit bewildered.

the show i don't get is Dr. Who. i just can't watch it. i've tried several times to get into it but it just does nothing for me. i do like the daleks, at least in their miniature toy robot form, but i can't stand anything else. the whole show feels like a semester project for a jr. college drama class. i wish it were otherwise because so many people get so much pleasure out of Dr. Who that it makes me feel like i'm missing out.

- dave
Deven Science
Posted 2007-10-24 4:54 PM (#1163 - in reply to #1158)
Subject: Re: Red Dwarf: Backwards

Uber User

I know what you mean about Dr. Who. Everyone on-line goes ape for it, so I feel like I should be watching it. Like, I'm not a real SF fan if I'm not, but the few times I've tried to watch it, I just didn't know what to make of it, and I didn't care. Luckily, I've currently got Heroes and Pushing Daisies to keep me entertained. I watch too much TV anyway.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)