open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: People who hate in concrete terms are dangerous. People who manage to hate only in abstracts are the ones worth having for your friends. John Brunner, Stand on Zanizbar
- (Added by: Rhondak101)

Amazon published a list: 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books to Read in a Lifetime
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

theman
Posted 2015-10-07 4:31 PM (#11454)
Subject: Amazon published a list: 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books to Read in a Lifetime

100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books to Read in a Lifetime

http://www.amazon.com/s?rh=i%3Aenglish-books%2Cn%3A12661600011&ie=U...

Not suggesting it be added to the site - just thought it'd be interesting to read.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
pizzakarin
Posted 2015-10-08 9:37 AM (#11455 - in reply to #11454)
Subject: Re: Amazon published a list: 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books to Read in a Lifetime

Veteran

Maybe it's the quantity of these type of lists, but I think I've grown to prefer much smaller, heavily curated lists. I especially enjoy when the curator of the list has given personal reasons for each pick rather than relying on synopsis or marketing information. Which is not to say that there isn't merit in looking to popularity as a starting point for finding quality books, just that I question whether we (the world, not necessarily you and me or WWE) need another list that seems to contain the standards without further depth.
dustydigger
Posted 2015-10-08 10:14 AM (#11456 - in reply to #11454)
Subject: Re: Amazon published a list: 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books to Read in a Lifetime

Elite Veteran

It is a very reader friendly list,not particularly highbrow or classic,but none the worse for that. I just love lists of any sort,and after 4 years on WWEnd,working my way through lists I often feel a bit smug when I have read quite or few - or at the least now recognize nearly the books on the list,and have a lot of them on my TBR! :0)
read - 66
on my TBR - 18
Scott Laz
Posted 2015-10-21 4:46 PM (#11535 - in reply to #11454)

Uber User

At first glance, it looks like it does a pretty good job of trying to come up with books that are both popular and critically acclaimed. A good distillation of the usual suspects, along with a few newer books that may or may not stand the test of time, and a few popular generic epic fantasies. I've read 42, so Dusty's got me beat (as usual)!

Agreed with pk that more idiosyncratic lists would be more interesting at this point.

Edited by Scott Laz 2015-10-21 4:52 PM
Dlw28
Posted 2015-12-12 7:21 PM (#12147 - in reply to #11454)

Extreme Veteran

Bizarrely when I go to the Amazon list only 60 are shown!
gallyangel
Posted 2015-12-19 1:17 AM (#12155 - in reply to #12147)

Uber User

At first glance I didn't see anything we don't have on the site already. But then, I'm not familiar with their whole list of books, so there might be some we're missing. If someone wants to crosscheck and then ask for any of the missing books in the book request thread, we'll get them in so they're here for you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)