open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Even a fool could see that one didn't need a war, nuclear or otherwise, to destroy oneself; the rising cost of weaponry could do that quite nicely. - Stanislaw Lem (Peace on Earth)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

Armor, by John Steakley
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Deven Science
Posted 2007-11-15 3:23 PM (#1200)
Subject: Armor, by John Steakley

Uber User

The other day I picked up a few books at my local library's book sale. One of which, was one of the most intense SF books I ever read, Armor, by John Steakley. The premise is actually similar at first glance to Starship Troopers, humans in cool suits battling giant insectoids, often resorting to hand to hand. But this book comes at it from a different angle, focusing on two outsiders of the present (their present, not ours), viewing one such suit's records, and seeing what one soldier had to suffer through in the past. This book focuses on the emotions of war, the hopelessness of knowing that the next battle will be coming, but not knowing when. The losses, the victories, the numbness. I already had this book, but I bought another one, just so I could give it to someone else that would appreciate it (that's no one I know here at home). Seeing this book, and getting it in my hands again, I thought I'd write to recommend it to any who like military SF. The characters are great and fully developed, it's fast paced, and still manages to capture all the emotion in the pacing.

The search of this site fails to come up with Armor, or John Steakley, so check amazon, or your local book store. I've not read anything else of his, but I wholly recommend this one to any who'll listen.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2007-11-15 3:56 PM (#1201 - in reply to #1200)
Subject: RE: Armor, by John Steakley

Admin

sounds pretty good.  how does it compare to  Old Man's War by John Scalzi?  have you read that one?  i read it a few weeks back.  really very good.  i really enjoyed the training sequence!  great stuff.

the only other military SF that i've read would be Starship Troopers which i really liked.  the book better than the movie but i still liked the move quite a bit.  probably because i saw the movie before i read the book.  going the other way, book then movie, usually leaves me a little cold to the film, especially if it's a book i really liked.  of course i'm still waiting for Ender's Game like every other SF geek out there!

i've heard other folks say armor is worth a look.  i'll have to add it to my list.  thanks for recommendation.

by the way, books not in the WWEnd database can still be had from our Amazon store.  that's my shameless plug for the day!

- dave

Deven Science
Posted 2007-11-19 9:55 AM (#1208 - in reply to #1201)
Subject: RE: Armor, by John Steakley

Uber User

I read Old Man's War and the follow up, Ghost Brigades. I really liked both of them. I've gotten into military SF quite a bit these last couple of years or so. I'm in the reserves, so I'm comfortable in that world, as it were.

Funny thing, I have read just about everything from Heinlein, and I mean everything, except Starship Troopers. I even own a copy, but have yet to read it. Or any significant part of it, at any rate.

I assume that any purchases made through the WWEnd Amazon link, and you guys get a few cents? That's good! I'll remember to use it when buying with Amazon from now on, which I occasionally do.
Administrator
Posted 2007-11-19 10:39 AM (#1209 - in reply to #1200)
Subject: Re: Armor, by John Steakley

Admin

yeah, i read ghost brigades as well. i thought it dropped off a little from the first book but still a great read if you like the military stuff. i've got the thrid book, The Last Colony, but have not read it yet.

what branch of service are you in?  i was in the Marines and the reserves long ago, so i know what you mean by being comfortable in that environment.

yes we get a small commission for all sales through the site.  we hope it will eventually pay for our hosting!  we appreciate your support!

- dave

christopherw277
Posted 2007-11-30 1:15 PM (#1217 - in reply to #1209)

Extreme Veteran

I think the military SF genre owes alot, also, to David Weber and the Honor Harrington series!! Pick up "On Basilisk Station" when you get. Mr. Weber really knows how to carry a good story line, and his in- depth knowledge of naval life really enhances the narrative.

And, how can you resist subtitles like, "Conquer Hell - Or Die!" Ah, that's the stuff.

Deven Science
Posted 2007-11-30 1:29 PM (#1219 - in reply to #1209)

Uber User

I didn't realize that the third book was out yet.

I'm in the Seabees. I was actually recalled to Iraq from mid '06 to mid '07. I read a metric ton of books while I was there, supporting the 1st MEF (that's Marine Expeditionary Force, for anyone else who may read this). I've been in for over fourteen years now.

christopherw277
Posted 2007-11-30 4:35 PM (#1223 - in reply to #1219)

Extreme Veteran

Proud to have you on the forum!! And thanks for your service! Sounds corny to say that but I think we should thank the folks who are actually out there doing something.
Administrator
Posted 2011-05-29 11:22 AM (#2415 - in reply to #1223)

Admin

@Deven Science: I added Armor to the WWEnd DB a long time ago and I finally got around to reading it.  It's as good as you said it was.  I understand why people have been wishing for a sequel since it came out.

Armor  

Deven Science
Posted 2011-05-29 5:42 PM (#2418 - in reply to #2415)

Uber User

Awesome add! I've been digging his other books, as well. I'll try to get around to writing you a review for Agent to the Stars soon.
nate1234
Posted 2011-07-23 11:03 AM (#2520 - in reply to #1200)

his "the bluenose limit" is quite good too.
http://www.johnsteakley.com/stories.html
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)