open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The report of my death was an exaggeration. - Mark Twain
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Serenity Found
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Deven Science
Posted 2007-12-07 5:09 PM (#1237)
Subject: Serenity Found

Uber User

This could just as easily have fallen under the TV and films category, but I'll post it here.

I just won an autographed (by the editor) copy of Serenity Found from the web site Slice of Sci-Fi. I received it yesterday in the mail, and haven't been this excited about a book in a while. I didn't even know I won. I totally forgot about the contest until I received the envelope in the mail. What a pleasant surprise.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
christopherw277
Posted 2007-12-08 3:45 AM (#1241 - in reply to #1237)
Subject: RE: Serenity Found

Extreme Veteran

Very cool... congrats! Loved that series; it died too young.
Administrator
Posted 2007-12-08 7:36 AM (#1244 - in reply to #1237)
Subject: Re: Serenity Found

Admin

ah! i was in the running for that book too! let us know how it is.

it's a shame that show got canned. i really liked the few episodes i saw and i thought the movie was well done. would like to see more of those! does anybody know if they're planning any sequels?

- dave
Deven Science
Posted 2007-12-10 11:15 AM (#1246 - in reply to #1244)

Uber User

As far as sequels go, there isn't one in the works, and the more time passes, the more it would be difficult to gather everyone back up to make another. The movie barely went into the black in theater, but it's been doing very well on DVD, including the "Collector's Edition" that just came out. Joss Whedon has stated that DVD sales may yet get a sequel greenlighted, but that there is no talk of that now. I think that Firefly was the best new sci-fi (for TV and movies, anyway) in a decade, and I really want more. While in Iraq, I hooked about a half a dozen people on Firefly, so I've done my part for sales of the DVDs.
Deven Science
Posted 2008-01-03 12:25 PM (#1262 - in reply to #1244)

Uber User

Just thought I'd update. Finished the book Serenity Found. It was an interesting series of essays, all exploring different aspects of the show/movie/'verse. One discussed religion and the show. One explored mass media in the movie. Another compared the War For Independence on the show with the American Civil War. It was a good read, though not all of the essays held my interest equally, I still read them all. I'd recommend it for those that like to use science fiction as a tool to explore themes of today, with regards to politics, religion, privacy rights, etc.
Administrator
Posted 2008-01-03 1:38 PM (#1263 - in reply to #1237)

Admin

the book sounds interesting. i'll have a go at it when i've finished watching all of the series. i got the dvds for x-mas and my wife and i are plowing through them right now. she likes it as much as i do! really is an amazing show. i have to put it at the top of my list for sf tv shows.

we're in that weird mode of wanting to hurry up and watch all the episodes because we're really enjoying the stories but also wanting it to last longer. just like tearing through a good book and slowing up at the end to savour it.

our favorite firefly moment so far is Mal kicking the guy into the engine intake in the train episode! classic.

- dave
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)