open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: At that moment, I got the impression of vast stretches of time, and how hard it was to maintain environmental balance, how you must waste nothing if you expect to survive long enough to matter. -- Whitley Strieber (The Super Natural)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Sub-Genre Tags
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

DrGreybeard
Posted 2016-02-22 7:32 AM (#12798)
Subject: Sub-Genre Tags

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new here. I've been using the web site for a while now. But this is my first post to the forum and I'm not too familiar with it.

I've notice a couple of obvious "Sub-Genre Tags" are missing and am wondering if they could be added.
They are:

Epic Fantasy
Grimdark
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2016-02-22 9:57 AM (#12800 - in reply to #12798)
Subject: RE: Sub-Genre Tags

Admin

DrGreybeard - 2016-02-22 7:32 AM Hello everyone. I'm fairly new here. I've been using the web site for a while now. But this is my first post to the forum and I'm not too familiar with it. I've notice a couple of obvious "Sub-Genre Tags" are missing and am wondering if they could be added. They are: Epic Fantasy Grimdark

We've got Epic Fantasy lumped in with High Fantasy in our list.  I'll update the label to read "Epic/High Fantasy" for clarity.

I've heard the term Grimdark but I'm not certain how to define it. Wikipedia has some example definitions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimdark but what definition would you recommend?

DrGreybeard
Posted 2016-02-22 12:54 PM (#12802 - in reply to #12798)
Subject: Re: Sub-Genre Tags

It's widely discussed with no clear cut answer. Other than the most obvious one. Fantasy that is grimmer and darker than average. But also generally with the focus on character building/development and not so much focus on world-building details. Often with vivid and brutal fight and battle scenes. Still a developing sub-genre so the specifics are a might blurry. Think Joe Abercrombie, Mark Lawrence, George RR Martin, Luke Scull, to name a few popular Grimdark authors.

Here's a link from the Grimdark Reader web site on the discussion on defining Grimdark:
http://grimdark-fantasy-reader.blogspot.com/p/grimdark-defined_4656...

Here's a link to Grimdark Magazine another valuable resource:
https://grimdarkmagazine.com/

I'm not associated with either organization. Just a fan of the Grimdark trend.
bazhsw
Posted 2016-02-28 10:26 AM (#12859 - in reply to #12798)

Regular

Would Low Fantasy be appropriate? I consider Low Fantasy to be low on magic and monsters but also where it's usually raining and the hero dies falling down the stairs. Others may differ but for books I consider low fantasy they are typically grimdark too.
DrNefario
Posted 2016-02-29 7:19 AM (#12862 - in reply to #12798)

Uber User

Low Fantasy appears to have no good definition, from what I can see. I don't think I've ever encountered two people who use it the same way.

And it's kind of meaningless, and seems to contain a value-judgement. (Why I also hate the hard/soft SF distinction.)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)