open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The chef end of all human knowledge...is to convince us of our utter ignorance. -- Jules Verne (Off on a Comet!)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

bookins.com / PaperBackSwap
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2008-01-19 11:56 AM (#1289)
Subject: bookins.com / PaperBackSwap

Admin

hey everyone,

we've posted a bunch of SF/F books up on bookins for you guys to get if you're so inclined.  inside each book we'll add a couple WWEnd bookmarks for you to use and share with friends.  all the books are from the WWEnd database of nominated books.  check out the link:

http://www.bookins.com/rssreader/trade/1M45cG/ 

in case you've never heard of bookins.com let me esplain:

bookins.com is a book sharing site where you can trade books with other members.  membership is free and the books are *free as well.  you pay a standard shipping fee of $4.49 to have the books delivered to you directly from the original owner.  they have all genres and the available books continue to grow as their membership grows.

here's how it works:  when you sign up you get 20 points that you can use to get books.  all books are assigned a point value based on format, hardback books are more then paperbacks, and other factors, like awards and popularity etc.

you browse the selections and when you find a book you want you add it to your wish list.  once you do that an email goes from bookins to the member that owns the book alerting them that you want the book.  that member prints out a postage-paid shipping label from bookins, packs up the book and drops it in the mail.  as soon as the label gets scanned by the post office your credit card gets dinged for the $4.49.  when delivery is confirmed, the original owner gets points for the shipment and can then use those points to get other books.

so, it's $4.49 to you for any book on their site.  when you ship a book you don't pay the shipping but you have to buy some shipping envelopes and tape etc.  round trip you end up paying around $6 to get and send a book.  for a hardback, that's a bargain.  for a paperback it's cheaper than new but you can do better at your local used bookstore or by buying through our WWEnd amazon store.

in the interest of full disclosure:

- if you should sign-up and ship out one of your own books i'll get some extra points for the referral.  something you can do as well if you get other folks to join.

- i've shipped out a dozen books and have received about as many.  the books i've gotten are in good shape and i've had no problems at all.  it's actually quite fun.  i like the idea of sharing the books i've read with people who want them.

- please be sure to read the fine print on the site before you sign up.  i've given you the gist of the deal but not all the details.

by the way, the bookmarks are pretty bitchin' if i do say so myself!  they are the first in a series we're making to promote WWEnd.  let me know if you have any questions or if you select any books from our list!

- dave

Top of the page Bottom of the page
dthmw3
Posted 2008-01-21 4:58 PM (#1290 - in reply to #1289)
Subject: RE: bookins.com

cool thanks!
Administrator
Posted 2008-09-01 3:05 PM (#1439 - in reply to #1290)

Admin

hey all,

i've just added a handful of new books to the WWEnd trade list on bookins:

- Software by Rudy Rucker

- Light by M. John Harrison

- Dover Beach by Richard Bowker

- When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger

help yourself!  i would suggest When Gravity Fails.

- dave

Administrator
Posted 2009-05-01 9:40 PM (#1632 - in reply to #1439)

Admin

Well, I've discovered PaperBackSwap and seeing as it's a lot cheaper than Bookins I moved a few books over there to try it out.  They do things a bit differently.  Instead of paying for the books that get shipped to you, you pay for the books you ship to other people.  There's no markup like at Bookins though so it's about half the cost.

Check out the list of books we've got up for grabs and, as usual, I'll put some WWEnd bookmarks in the books I ship out.

Also, if you've already got an account over there with some good SF/F books let us know here. I'm always looking for more books!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)