open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "What power would Hell have if those imprisoned there were not able to dream of Heaven?" - Neil Gaiman
- (Added by: Administrator)

Refined Reading List
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Welcome to Worlds Without End! -> New Features & NewsMessage format

burkhardplache
Posted 2016-04-20 1:05 PM (#13294)
Subject: Refined Reading List

New User

First off, I really like what the site offers.
Also, I got introduced to a number of authors or titles I would have missed otherwise.
Thanks for your work.

In order to get my wish-to-read-list better organized, it would help to have a few features.
And associated with those flags, underlay the titles with separate colours, as is done with
the "have read" and "want to read" flags.

(A) Flagging titles that I will never want to read (maybe I am simply not into a certain sub-genre).
That way, my poor memory need not remember that I have read the reviews to that title a few months ago already.

(B) Flagging titles that I want to read, but that are low priority ("read later")

(C) Flagging titles that I have already read but plan on reading again.

Please let me know what you think of such ideas,
B.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2016-10-24 12:08 PM (#14485 - in reply to #13294)
Subject: RE: Refined Reading List

Admin

burkhardplache - 2016-04-20 1:05 PM First off, I really like what the site offers. Also, I got introduced to a number of authors or titles I would have missed otherwise. Thanks for your work. In order to get my wish-to-read-list better organized, it would help to have a few features. And associated with those flags, underlay the titles with separate colours, as is done with the "have read" and "want to read" flags. (A) Flagging titles that I will never want to read (maybe I am simply not into a certain sub-genre). That way, my poor memory need not remember that I have read the reviews to that title a few months ago already. (B) Flagging titles that I want to read, but that are low priority ("read later" (C) Flagging titles that I have already read but plan on reading again. Please let me know what you think of such ideas, B.

Hello B, sorry to take so long in replying.  I like these ideas a lot and I can see myself using them.

(A) Flagging titles that I will never want to read

This would be very handy for books that I've checked out and determined I don't want to read.  Perhaps we can fade the book cover or some such to represent lack of interest.  This one would be hardest to implement because we'd have to do a lookup to see if you flagged a book as "never will I ever" every time we load a page with books on it.  I'll talk to whargoul about the possibility.

(B) Flagging titles that I want to read, but that are low priority

The next iteration of WWEnd will give you the ability to sort your reading list so you will be able to push the ones you want to read right away to the top of your list and the ones you don't want to read now to the bottom.  This one is already coming.

(C) Flagging titles that I have already read but plan on reading again.

This would make a nice addition to the My World lists.  I often re-read books or thought to myself I will definitely re-read this book upon completion of a story.  This is another kind of endorsement for a book you love like a high rating that will be visible to your profile visitors.  This should be relatively straight forward though I don't know when we will get to it.  We have quite a long list of upgrades as it is.

Thanks for the excellent ideas!

NateT
Posted 2016-12-02 10:01 AM (#14641 - in reply to #13294)
Subject: RE: Refined Reading List

burkhardplache - 2016-04-20 1:05 PM

(A) Flagging titles that I will never want to read (maybe I am simply not into a certain sub-genre).
That way, my poor memory need not remember that I have read the reviews to that title a few months ago already.

I would definitely second that request. I often find myself reading reviews/descriptions of a book and saying to myself "I looked at this book several months ago and decided then that I have no interest in it"

I also gave up trying to put in an annotation in the My Notes section because that section is collapsed when a book page opens - even if that book actually has a note.

NateT
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)